How to update ipad2 mini 1Password with iphone 4S 1Password data

Options
useanothervault
useanothervault
Community Member

Help Please! ... or in other words, ****how to update my iPad 1Password with my iphone 4S data?**** I have 1Password installed on ipad and on my phone but not on my MacBook. Note that 4S software is older than iPad software, so there may be a compatibility issue, (so I was thinking about just deleting iPad version then I could try syncing the 2 devices). Note also that I do not want to use icloud or Dropbox - it just seems stupid to load such sensitive data into the cloud. I thought about syncing the two devices but not sure which would be Master and which Slave - and I don't want to over-write newer data. I have considered downloading app to Macbook, but I will never use it on Macbook and I'd rather not have to buy a 3rd license. ipad 1Password Version is latest version, iPhone 4S 1Password version is latest phone will allow. Thanks.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb:starting-over

Comments

• useanothervault
    useanothervault
    Community Member
    Options

or in other words, ****how to update my iPad 1Password with my iphone 4S data?**** I have 1Password installed on ipad and on my phone but not on my MacBook. Note that 4S software is older than iPad software, so there may be a compatibility issue, (so I was thinking about just deleting iPad version then I could try syncing the 2 devices). Note also that I do not want to use icloud or Dropbox - it just seems stupid to load such sensitive data into the cloud. I thought about syncing the two devices but not sure which would be Master and which Slave - and I don't want to over-write newer data. I have considered downloading app to Macbook, but I will never use it on Macbook and I'd rather not have to buy a 3rd license.

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Referrer: kb:starting-over

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@useanothervault: First and foremost, backup your 1Password data on each device!

Next, it's important to keep in mind that your 1Password data is end-to-end encrypted, so 1Password simply doesn't depend on the storage location — "cloud" or otherwise" — to protect your data.

Now, if you're using 1Password 4 or later on each device, what you're trying to do is possible. However, the only ways to sync only between mobile devices is using iCloud or Dropbox, or 1Password for Families. Wi-Fi Sync works on your local network, but requires a computer to act as the sync server. Using sync service means you don't need to have your computer do that for you. In any of these cases though, there is no "master" or "slave"; you can add information on any device and sync it to the others.

You may also be able to use the backup and restore feature to backup your data from one device and then restore it to the other, but of course that means replacing it every time. Using one of the other methods above will allow data to be updated in either direction.

Ultimately, without some basic information about your setup it's hard to go into specifics, so be sure to tell me the OS, 1Password, and device versions you're using so we can figure out the best plan of action. Thanks in advance! :)

• useanothervault
    useanothervault
    Community Member
    Options

Good Day Brenty,

You realize do you that you are really asking me to go out of a limb here. It's enough to have my ip address and email address, and now you're asking for OS & 1PW Ver.No. You see where I'm coming from? I guess I'll have to trust that this AgileBits support Forum is a legitimate 1Password site, because what choice do I have other that scrap the whole app and start again on a new platform. For all I know it could be a doorway to hack all 1Password accounts - and please don't say I'm being paranoid - only the totally naive have no idea of what is possible in the hacking & identity fraud world. And no offense, but your pirate avatar does nothing to lend more credibility.

But here I go anyways:

iphone 4S: IOS 6.1.2 1P/W Ver. 4.3.2
    ipad mini 2: IOS 9.2.1 1P/W Ver. 6.3.1
    MacBook: IOS Montainlion - no 1P/W app installed

Many thanks,

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You realize do you that you are really asking me to go out of a limb here. It's enough to have my ip address and email address, and now you're asking for OS & 1PW Ver.No. You see where I'm coming from? I guess I'll have to trust that this AgileBits support Forum is a legitimate 1Password site, because what choice do I have other that scrap the whole app and start again on a new platform.

@useanothervault: Thanks for following up. To be clear, we own agilebits.com, which this discussion forum is a part of, and agilebits.com is where you should have gotten 1Password in the first place (with the exception of the App Store). But significantly your email address is not public (and a lot of people use an anonymous email account anyway), an IP address is not personally identifiable, and knowing the version number isn't something that's linked to you directly either (since many people will have the same versions of widely distributed software) — but the only way I can tell you what your options are is by knowing that information.

1Password doesn't collect any information about you. And your data is stored only where you choose to keep it, and is never accessible to AgileBits. And since only you know the Master Password used to encrypt it, no one else will be able to decrypt it either. Most importantly, we will never ask you to post personal information here on a public forum (I don't even like asking for license information in private, but it is sometimes necessary), and we actively discourage people from doing so (and remove it when we see it). We take privacy and security very seriously (and personally), and I'm glad to hear you do too.

For all I know it could be a doorway to hack all 1Password accounts - and please don't say I'm being paranoid - only the totally naive have no idea of what is possible in the hacking & identity fraud world. And no offense, but your pirate avatar does nothing to lend more credibility.

No offense taken. But this isn't an avatar; it's me! :chuffed:

Regarding your sync dilemma, given the setup you have, you have two clear options:

• Use Dropbox to sync data between your iOS devices automatically in the background, and leave the Mac out of it completely.
    • Use 1Password for Mac to sync your data manually to both iOS devices using Wi-Fi Sync.

iCloud Sync won't be an option because of the older iOS device, and (as I mentioned earlier) Wi-Fi Sync needs a computer to act as the server. It sounds like you might prefer Wi-Fi Sync, and it's fairly straightforward to setup:

1. Install 1Password for Mac from the AgileBits website
    2. Go to 1Password Preferences > Sync Server and enable it
    3. In 1Password for iOS, go to Settings > Sync and choose Wi-Fi
    4. Enter the secret from 1Password for Mac to pair the device with the server

I hope this helps. Let me know how it turns out! :)

• useanothervault
    useanothervault
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Brenty,

The way I see it then, I really have no options, (other than trying to do something with a Macbook 1P/W app - do you this would work)?

1. Wi-Fi Sync. From what I understand of the process, syncing devices will end up mashing 2 sets of data together - old & new, current & obsolete, and what I'll end up with will be a of little value. (It really should be an Master-slave overwriting process).
    2. Dropbox. I will not involve a 3rd party with password vault data. That is clearly & simply a risky prospect (despite encyrption - which keeps honest people out).

****Potential viable options: Do you think any of these are viable?**

1. I had considered deleting 1P/W app from ipad, downloading new 1P/W app, then syncing devices.

2. Would installing 1P/W app onto Macbook be of any value?

3. I tried file sharing via Macbook, but it did not work, possibly due to me not understanding Mac or the process very well, possibly due to different versions & operating systems.

Please note the the purpose of this exercise is 2-fold:

a. Primarily backing up data in a format that is usable, prior to getting new phone. I've not yet figured out how to backup 1P/W to Mac, but considering how well things have gone so far, I don't trust the process. (Looks like I'll have to resort to transferring data with pen & paper).

AND THIS RAISES AN IMPORTANT POINT: If 1P/W versions & operating systems are incompatible, then it seems that my "backup" would not load onto new phone. Ipad version would be compatible, but this is all old, obsolete & irrelevant data. What a bind!

b. Having current data on iPad, (presently it is obsolete - because I do all my password changes on my phone - (I think / hope)

Agile bit could make this process a lot easier. I use an electronic expense tracking system. I am able to update data from phone, ipad or desktop. And when I sync devices I have the option of which data to use as Master (ie keeping new data and overwriting old).

Thanks Brenty.

• useanothervault
    useanothervault
    Community Member
    Options

Please suggest how I can backup my iphone 4S before getting new phone. Advertised online method for backing up iphone 1P/W does not apply to 4S IOS VER.6.1.2 1P/W ver.4.3.2. There is simply no "Create Backup" option in the Advanced Tab or anywhere else within the app. Thanks.

1Password Version: 4.3.2
    Extension Version: 4.3.2
    OS Version: IOS 6.1.2
    Referrer: forum-search:How to BackUp 1 Password to a computer. iphone 4S - 1P/W app has no backup feature

• useanothervault
    useanothervault
    Community Member
    Options

I certainly have to agree that 1Password sucks. It does not provide any means to back up iphone 4S to MacBook and nor is there any Agile Support of any value (that I have come across). And that's just the tip of the iceberg, there is lots that you cannot do with 1Password that you would expect it to be able to do.

• useanothervault
    useanothervault
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Brenty,

The way I see it then, I really have no options, (other than trying to do something with a Macbook 1P/W app - do you this would work)?

Wi-Fi Sync. From what I understand of the process, syncing devices will end up mashing 2 sets of data together - old & new, current & obsolete, and what I'll end up with will be a of little value. (It really should be an Master-slave overwriting process).
    Dropbox. I will not involve a 3rd party with password vault data. That is clearly & simply a risky prospect (despite encyrption - which keeps honest people out).

****Potential viable options: Do you think any of these are viable?**

I had considered deleting 1P/W app from ipad, downloading new 1P/W app, then syncing devices.

Would installing 1P/W app onto Macbook be of any value?

I tried file sharing via Macbook, but it did not work, possibly due to me not understanding Mac or the process very well, possibly due to different versions & operating systems.

Please note the the purpose of this exercise is 2-fold:

a. Primarily backing up data in a format that is usable, prior to getting new phone. I've not yet figured out how to backup 1P/W to Mac, but considering how well things have gone so far, I don't trust the process. (Looks like I'll have to resort to transferring data with pen & paper).

AND THIS RAISES AN IMPORTANT POINT: If 1P/W versions & operating systems are incompatible, then it seems that my "backup" would not load onto new phone. Ipad version would be compatible, but this is all old, obsolete & irrelevant data. What a bind!

b. Having current data on iPad, (presently it is obsolete - because I do all my password changes on my phone - (I think / hope)

Agile bit could make this process a lot easier. I use an electronic expense tracking system. I am able to update data from phone, ipad or desktop. And when I sync devices I have the option of which data to use as Master (ie keeping new data and overwriting old)

• useanothervault
    useanothervault
    Community Member
    Options

And good luck trying to sync your iphone 1password app with older iPad data. It cannot be done. What is possible though is spending days trying to get a workable solution with AgileBits so-called "support"forum, and have them just leave ignore you in the end once they see have discovered all of the fatal flaws to the 1Password App.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

@useanothervault as your post relates to 1P for iOS I have moved the post from the 1Password for Mac forum to the 1P for iOS forum where you will get more help.

Stephen

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@useanothervault: Thanks for following up! I'm sorry if I wasn't clear enough on a few of these points, so I'm glad you asked these questions.

Wi-Fi Sync. From what I understand of the process, syncing devices will end up mashing 2 sets of data together - old & new, current & obsolete, and what I'll end up with will be a of little value. (It really should be an Master-slave overwriting process).

While in your case it may be preferable to overwrite all data from one device with that of another, it's important to keep in mind that this simply isn't the case for most people, who enjoy making changes to data on multiple devices without worrying about what they put where, or the prospect of overwriting something they need.

While an initial sync of two separate databases may result in some duplication or retention of obsolete data (after all, an app can't really know your intent, and it isn't the place of software to make our decisions for us), after the initial sync, changes from each device will be tracked over time to maintain consistency going forward. For example, if you have a login that was the same on both devices only yesterday, and now one has a newer timestamp (because it was changed) on one device, it will be updated with that same information on the others.

And again, if you simply want to throw out the data from one device and replace it with the data from the other, you can start over with a fresh database on the target device and sync everything from the source. Then continuing to sync will only transfer data that has changed — in either direction — between the two...which is much nicer than trying to remember which one has the newest data so you can overwrite the other with it.

Dropbox. I will not involve a 3rd party with password vault data. That is clearly & simply a risky prospect (despite encyrption - which keeps honest people out).

Encryption keeps honest people, dishonest people, and governments — "good" and "bad" out. So while it's absolutely your decision, let's not lose sight of the fact that personal feelings don't change the fact that it's this encryption that protects your data in the first place, regardless of where you choose to store it. Math doesn't lie. :)

I had considered deleting 1P/W app from ipad, downloading new 1P/W app, then syncing devices.

That's kind of what it sounded like you were proposing, and that's perfectly fine if you don't need any of the data that's on the iPad. I just wouldn't want you or anyone else to do something destructive like that unless you're absolutely certain.

Would installing 1P/W app onto Macbook be of any value?

Sort of. It's what would enable you to sync data between your iOS devices. We don't have a server built into 1Password for iOS because it would be problematic to have to try to run a server from a mobile device (and I'm not certain that this is even allowed by App Store rules), and it would be a resource hog. Computers, on the other hand, run servers all the time and have more than adequate resources to do so. In the case of Dropbox and iCloud, they're running the server so your devices can connect to it. Syncing locally similarly requires a server to manage and transfer the data, but in the case of Wi-Fi Sync, that will be your computer since there's no one else running the server for you. And you're free to use the trial version of 1Password for Mac to sync data between your iOS devices.

I tried file sharing via Macbook, but it did not work, possibly due to me not understanding Mac or the process very well, possibly due to different versions & operating systems.

The version of iTunes will be a factor too, since it that's how files are shared from an iOS device. It's pretty cumbersome, and that's why I recommended Wi-Fi Sync.

Please note the the purpose of this exercise is 2-fold: a. Primarily backing up data in a format that is usable, prior to getting new phone. I've not yet figured out how to backup 1P/W to Mac, but considering how well things have gone so far, I don't trust the process. (Looks like I'll have to resort to transferring data with pen & paper).

Pen and paper really isn't necessary, and sounds tedious. As I mentioned in my original reply, you 1Password for iOS has a built-in backup and restore feature that you can use to save a copy of the data to your computer.

That really isn't the case at all, but even so, using Wi-Fi Sync as I mentioned previously seems to solve the problem you're having. Once you have your data sync'd, you can save a backup copy of it easily from any device — including the backup and restore feature in 1Password for Mac.

If you're certain that's true, I'd still backup the data just in case and then simply reinstall the app. You'll have a clean slate, and then you can sync the data from your iPhone there as well.

Agile bit could make this process a lot easier. I use an electronic expense tracking system. I am able to update data from phone, ipad or desktop. And when I sync devices I have the option of which data to use as Master (ie keeping new data and overwriting old).

As I mentioned earlier, that's not how sync works. That actually wouldn't be synchronization at all, but rather simply an overriding copy operation. Back when most of us had a single device — a computer on a desk — this was really a one-time thing: you get a new computer, copy the data over, and do your work there. But most people nowadays have multiple devices, and use many — if not all of them — throughout the course of a single day. having to copy over an entire database each time we want to switch to another device puts an undue burden on the user. After all, most of us have a lot of other things on our minds already!

Similarly, sync in 1Password specifically is meant to work both ways, and that's what most users expect as well. It's also best to have software work in a way that people expect, and most of us simply aren't disciplined enough to only make changes on a single device. I'm glad that 1Password, iCloud, and all the apps I use on multiple devices don't expect that of me. We try to make it easy, and I'm sorry that you haven't had a particularly easy time. Don't try to do things the hard way. From what you've told me of your setup, Wi-Fi Sync meets your criteria and can make things much simpler for you once you've set it up:

1Password Wi-Fi Sync Setup

Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions. I look forward to hearing back from you! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I certainly have to agree that 1Password sucks. It does not provide any means to back up iphone 4S to MacBook and nor is there any Agile Support of any value (that I have come across). And that's just the tip of the iceberg, there is lots that you cannot do with 1Password that you would expect it to be able to do.

@useanothervault: I'm sorry to hear that you're dissatisfied with 1Password and the support forums (and perhaps me personally). However, it doesn't justify showing disrespect to others by hijacking discussions they've created in order to vent your own frustration. And while I appreciate that you're frustrated, we want to keep things friendly on the forums. So please refrain from doing that.

I've split your posts off into your original discussion, since your comments were in reference to this rather than the issue someone else was having. Again, we need to keep the forums as friendly as possible for the wide range of people that visit, and that means being considerate of others. Please keep that in mind in the future. We're happy to have you here, so long as you can adhere to the guidelines:

Forum guidelines

We're here to help, and there are things you can do to facilitate this:

Help us help you

For example, if there are specific features you'd like to see in the next version of 1Password, let's talk about that! However, 1Password isn't meant to be all things to all people, and it isn't possible for us to make 1Password do everything you would like it to do today. But if you can tell us more about what you're looking for, perhaps there's something we can add in a future version that will improve the experience for you and everyone else.

And good luck trying to sync your iphone 1password app with older iPad data. It cannot be done. What is possible though is spending days trying to get a workable solution with AgileBits so-called "support"forum, and have them just leave ignore you in the end once they see have discovered all of the fatal flaws to the 1Password App.

You certainly haven't been ignored. The fact is that I have been trying to help you with the issues you've brought up, including backing up your data and transferring it between devices. Have you tried the backup feature I mentioned in my first reply, or Wi-Fi Sync after I suggested it in the second? If not, that's a good place to start, since that's what you've been trying to do all along. And if you're running into any issues in either case, please let me know. I'm sorry that you haven't yet come to a resolution with this, but the only way we'll get anywhere is if we try. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@useanothervault: I've found that you started another discussion regarding difficulties with the backup option I suggested previously here, so I've merged it into this discussion. If you post in multiple places, it makes it difficult both for us to find the information you give about the help you need, and for you to find (or even get) answers that will help you. So if you can reply here that will be easier for everyone. :)

Please suggest how I can backup my iphone 4S before getting new phone. Advertised online method for backing up iphone 1P/W does not apply to 4S IOS VER.6.1.2 1P/W ver.4.3.2. There is simply no "Create Backup" option in the Advanced Tab or anywhere else within the app. Thanks.

I'm sorry for the confusion I've caused you there! That's entirely my fault. Since version 4.3.2 was released so long ago, I'd forgotten that it did not yet have the backup and restore feature. iOS 7 was required for the most recent releases of 1Password 4, which included the "new" backup and restore feature, which wasn't possible with iOS 6. But since you're using an iPhone 4S, you can actually upgrade to both iOS 9 and 1Password 6 for free, and that will get you backup and restore, along with many other features and improvements.

However, as I mentioned above, if you simply want to backup the data, you can sync it to 1Password for Mac, and save a backup copy of it there as well.

This discussion has been closed.