What are the pros/cons of moving items from the desktop to teams versus copying items?

sfmarbury
sfmarbury
Community Member

I've just set up my team account and was migrating my items from my desktop. I don't understand the implications of moving versus copying my items. Is there any reason to have them both in my primary vault on my desktop and in my personal vault for my team? Is there an article that discusses how this works?

Thanks.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb:teams-admin-access-control, kb:teams-families-migrate

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @sfmarbury,

Thanks for writing in with your questions!

I don't understand the implications of moving versus copying my items.

If you Copy an item from your local vault to a Teams vault, you'll have a separate copy of that item in each vault. If you Move an item, you'll only have a copy of that item in the new/Teams vault, and it will no longer appear in your original/local vault (technically, the original is moved to the Trash of the original/local vault, but that may change in the future).

Is there any reason to have them both in my primary vault on my desktop and in my personal vault for my team?

Possibly, but it's really personal preference. In your case, it sounds like you no longer need those items in your local vault, so you'll probably want to use 'Move'.

But as an example, let's say you were simply trying out our 1Password for Teams or 1Password Families service and weren't sure yet if you wanted to continue using it. In that case, you might want to leave copies in your local vault for now until you decided for sure. (I'm sure there are other examples as well, that's just the first one I happened to think of).

Is there an article that discusses how this works?

I'm not sure exactly what type of information you're looking for, but the steps to copy or move items are mentioned in our guide to migrate to a Family or Team account: Set up the apps and import your data

If you have more questions about that or need anything else, just let us know - we're always happy to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.