Feature request: Testing website if DNS still correct

guillaumeserton
guillaumeserton
Community Member

Hello,
Like watchtower do for password, i'll be happy to see a new feature which will test for each item the website register in it to see if it's still reachable or not.

This feature could help to purge some items where the website doesn't exist anymore or update them with a new one.

1Password Version: 6.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.11.4
Sync Type: Family / Dropbox

Comments

• Hi @Spinacle,

That's an interesting idea. I'm not sure if DNS checks would be the best way to go about doing that though. A good number of sites that die end up having their DNS records taken over by spam websites. I really like the idea of being told that some old websites don't exist though. I know that I have a lot of old entries in my own database that I could probably purge due to that.

Rick

• laptopleon
    laptopleon
    Community Member

Seems more logical to test the certificate of the site (if it has one), as far as the browser doesn't already warn you for that?

• Hi @laptopleon,

I'm not sure how that would work. We would have to save off the old certificates to compare that, I think? How would you see that working?

Rick

• laptopleon
    laptopleon
    Community Member

Reading it again, I'm not sure if I thought of the same thing as Spinacle. If he means: Deleting old login entries because the site is no longer online, there might be the risk that a login is deleted while the site is only temporarily offline.

I thought he meant a feature that 1PW would check if the site safety certificate checks out with a certificate authority. I'm not an expert but safety certificates are becoming more and more common. On the other hand, any new owner of a domain can of course get a site certificate, even with the same authority, should you have saved that info.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Deleting old login entries because the site is no longer online, there might be the risk that a login is deleted while the site is only temporarily offline.

@laptopleon: That's a good point. And I don't think we could index the whole internet...but maybe we could somehow leverage Google for that in the future.

I thought he meant a feature that 1PW would check if the site safety certificate checks out with a certificate authority. I'm not an expert but safety certificates are becoming more and more common. On the other hand, any new owner of a domain can of course get a site certificate, even with the same authority, should you have saved that info.

I really think this should be left to the browser. They're increasingly good at removing CAs quickly in cases where they've been shown to be untrustworthy, or compromised. And after all, even if 1Password checks this, you're still going to open the URL in the browser, and ultimately that's who you really have to trust anyway.

Personally I much prefer having a website vanish into thin air with the login credentials secure in my 1Password vault, rather than having it fall into disrepair and be compromised, or sold to another company I don't necessarily trust with my personal information. :dizzy:

• laptopleon
    laptopleon
    Community Member

My thoughts exactly.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

:pirate: :+1:

• guillaumeserton
    guillaumeserton
    Community Member

I did not think to automatically delete the item if a website did not respond but identify it like tag it for example.
    Anyway, I was not talking about certificates, as it's a browser thing.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Ah, gotcha. Thanks for clarifying! :)

This discussion has been closed.