Remove "Primary" Vault From iOS Vaults List

Options
ryansebiz
ryansebiz
Community Member
edited April 2016 in Families

I'm on the Families plan and switched from Dropbox. In 1Password iOS, under Settings > Vaults there are three vaults:

• Primary
  • Personal
  • Shared

The Primary vault is a relic from Dropbox. I've deleted my 1Password directory and its 1Password.opvault file from Dropbox and confirmed it no longer appears in the Dropbox iOS app. However, the Primary vault still appears in 1Password (the Personal and Shared vaults are from my Families account).

I also followed the start over article and deleted 1Password (there was no iCloud data), reset my iPhone, reinstalled 1Password from the App Store and signed back into my teams account but the issue persists.

How can I delete the Primary vault from iPassword iOS?

1Password Version: 6.3.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 9.3.1
Sync Type: Families

Comments

• peterfields
    peterfields
    Community Member
    Options

Bump.

I believe that the Primary Vault is just a standard Vault that is always shown, but I also would love to remove it as it is causing me problems.

Any idea how to do this 1Password Team ?

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ryansebiz & @peterfields,

Thanks for letting us know you’re interested in this! We're working on allowing you to use the iOS app with your Families and/or Teams accounts only, with no local Primary vault required. This functionality is now in beta, and if all goes well, it should be in a forthcoming stable update. :+1:

ref: OPI-3397

• MDBrown
    MDBrown
    Community Member
    Options

I'd just like to add my vote for this.

You know, one of the main differences between a Team and a Family: the average team-member is technically savvy and able to grasp the concept of multiple vaults fairly easily. But an awful lot of family-members probably find them confusing.

I suspect that many of your Families subscribers actually use the app to manage logins/passwords for parents, children, and others who are just not very computer literate. That's my use case. Personally, I would love it if my parents could only see a single vault (the one I share with them). They don't need a primary vault, and they really have no use for a personal vault.

Just a suggestion: maybe you could allow users to hide vaults. That would probably be easier to code than letting them delete vaults altogether. If I could choose which vaults appear on my parents app, that would be great. Then it wouldn't matter how many vaults actually existed.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'd just like to add my vote for this.

@MDBrown: Not necessary! It's already in the beta, and we're excited to release it once testing is complete. ;)

You know, one of the main differences between a Team and a Family: the average team-member is technically savvy and able to grasp the concept of multiple vaults fairly easily. But an awful lot of family-members probably find them confusing.

That's a great point! With the ability to use 1Password for iOS in "Families/Teams-only mode", it makes this a bit easier. "Personal" effectively becomes the primary vault.

I suspect that many of your Families subscribers actually use the app to manage logins/passwords for parents, children, and others who are just not very computer literate. That's my use case. Personally, I would love it if my parents could only see a single vault (the one I share with them). They don't need a primary vault, and they really have no use for a personal vault.

Although All Vaults makes multiple vaults more transparent, if it's really a concern the "Shared" vault can also be deleted now if desired, leaving each member with only their Personal vault. That kind of puts a damper on the sharing features, but that may not be a terrible idea with kids involved, since then the adults can share vaults just between themselves.

The "no Personal vault" idea is an interesting one, and we can certainly consider it, but so far it doesn't seem like a popular request...and there's already an option for that: Guests. As for your parents, since you made an example of them (har har), you could invite them both as Guests. A Guest only has access to a single vault you share with them and no Personal vault. You also get two Guests included in your 1Password Families account, so that may be a good option for your situation.

Just a suggestion: maybe you could allow users to hide vaults. That would probably be easier to code than letting them delete vaults altogether. If I could choose which vaults appear on my parents app, that would be great. Then it wouldn't matter how many vaults actually existed.

Individual vaults can be excluded from the All Vaults view. Does that help? However, it sounds like Guests might be a better option for you, since it wouldn't require any additional settings in the apps. Let me know what you think! :)

• rr0ss0rr
    rr0ss0rr
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty ... I haven't tried to delete the Shared vault .. but I would hope when deleting, an additional warning when the vault is not empty would appear? .. ie. "rm -d directoryname" .. Sorry .. that directory is not empty

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rr0ss0rr: Attempting to delete any vault will give the following warning:

And you'll have to manually type the vault's name and click Delete to proceed. "It's the only way to be sure." :sunglasses:

• ryansebiz
    ryansebiz
    Community Member
    Options

The latest iOS update fixed this issue (just needed to reinstall the app). Thank you!

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Huzzah! Thanks for confirming, @ryansebiz. 8-)

This discussion has been closed.