1Password Super Slow when filling in web forms from Identities

Options
FogCityNative
FogCityNative
Community Member
edited April 2016 in 1Password in the Browser

In the past , when I selected my identity, the web form was filled in almost instantly.

Now, after I select the identity I wish to use, it takes 7 to 10 seconds to fill in the first field, then another 5 seconds for the second field.

Since in the past 1Password was super speedy, what might be causing this slowdown and how can I fix It?

1Password Version: 6.2.1
Extension Version: 4.5.5
OS Version: OS X 10.11.3
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: kb:diagnostics, kb-search:slow filling forms

Comments

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @FogCityNative. This is the first report I've seen of this, so I'll need a little more information to understand what might be happening.

• Do you see this behavior on every site or just a specific site?
    • Is it happening with Logins as well as Credit Card or Identity items or just a specific item type?
    • Which browser are you using?
    • If you have an alternate browser available (Google Chrome if you're using Safari primarily, for instance.), can you see if you have the same behavior in all browsers?

This should give us some idea where to begin the investigation.

• FogCityNative
    FogCityNative
    Community Member
    Options

Every site.
    Doesn't run slow on logins. They usually appear before the log in page finishes loading.
    I primarily use Firefox, slowly trying to migrate to Chrome. I removed Flash from my Mac and do not understand why any modern web site is still using Flash. Chrome doesn't need it.
    The next time I buy something online, I will try it on both browsers.
    It is really weird, as it populates each field one at a time.
    Wait 5 seconds or more . . .e-mail pops in.
    Another 2 seconds and my name pops in.
    Another 2 seconds and my address pops in.
    I don't think I see this problem with credit cards, although some sites simply will not allow iPassword to populate the card number. Can't even paste it. They insist the user type it in.
    Let me know if you want logs or diagnostics.
    If you have a hidden web page for testing, (a bunch of fields that go nowhere, and hitting submit just clears everything) send me the link privately and I will test a bunch of combinations and browsers for you.

• FogCityNative
    FogCityNative
    Community Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

OK, only on Firefox is it slow and one field at a time. Google Chrome works fine.

However, here's yet another site that chokes 1Password. Using Chrome.

My default phone is in my Identity as 415-465-2244 (not my real number)

I even created a field label for Daytime Phone and another for Evening Phone.

The field on the web form accepts hyphens in the number. And does not take 10 digits and format them with hyphens as xxx-yyy-zzzz. Either entry style works.

But 1Password loses the "415" and puts just "465" in the default phone and "2244" in the Evening Phone. Quite a useless mess on this particular form and set of fields.

Try it yourself and see . . . https://www.sfballet.org/account/register

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks, @FogCityNative. Just to be clear, is the sfballet.org site one that is also exhibiting the slow filling? I tried it in Firefox (I use the Developer Edition mostly.) and I saw a brief delay but then all the fields popped into place at once.

I definitely see the problem with filling only parts of the phone numbers into the various fields. This looks to be related to another change I recently made. We'll see how we can improve this in a future version.

ref: BRAIN-170

• FogCityNative
    FogCityNative
    Community Member
    Options

I reloaded the Add-On and it is now working as you describe. Slight 1 to 1.5 second delay and then everything pops at once. My Add-On must have gotten corrupted.

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That's interesting, @FogCityNative. I haven't heard of this behavior before, but we'll certainly keep an eye out for similar issues to make sure there's not something we need to nip in the bud. In any case, I'm glad things are working better for you now. Let us know if we can help with anything else.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Just for the record, I am having trouble with filling in my identity lately, but it may well be a different issue.

I have a Keyboard Maestro macro set up to fill in the identity (open mini, enter text of identity to search for, go to identity, press return). This used to work fine, but lately on many (all?) sites it brings up mini and puts the focus on the identity but does not complete filling in. I seem to have solved it by changing the delay time before the macro presses Return. It used to have a delay of 0.2 seconds, which seems currently to send Return before the identity is selected, but changing this to 0.4 works.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2016
    Options

Hi danco,

I think we have been tweaking the delays here to try and come up with a suitable compromise with various speeds that people work at and at a guess you're running the betas. If I've understood the issue FogCityNative posted it was that having pressed enter the actual filling of individual fields was taking an age while I'm thinking you're simply seeing no filling happen until you tweaked the delay?

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Yes, that's right, filling did not occur at all, 1PW mini just got as far as putting its focus on the identity

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@danco If I recall correctly, @chadseld said recently that the delay in our search results populating is indeed 0.4s. The reason for this is to prevent the window from resizing like crazy when you search for the first couple of characters. For instance, you type "a" and the list is very long and then you type "ppl" and the list narrows down to just a couple of Logins. Without the delay, the window resizing is very jarring. So, I think that is the source of your KM macro needing to be adjusted.

This discussion has been closed.