Just signed up - a couple of comments about the proces.

Options
jramskov
jramskov
Community Member
edited April 2016 in Families

Hi.
I just signed up for Families and wanted to share my experience with the switch.
Note: While I would say that I read/write and understand english quite well, it's not my native language, danish is (more on that later).

1) I find it a bit confusing that there's no mention of my existing account when I sign up. Would be nice with a notice that it would be handled later.

2) The Account Key: The info provided about what to do with it is lacking. Am I supposed to store it on a piece of paper? In a 1Password vault?

2a) I haven't added any family members yet - do they need to use the Account Key when they sign up and/or authorize a new device/browser?

3) If I go to "Admin Console / Settings" it tells me:
=== CUT ===
You can now add your Credit Card to get the Special Launch Special!

$10 added to your account (an extra 2 months free)
Twice the amount of secure storage for your documents (that’s 2 GB)
The ability to invite two more family members for free (a total of 7 family members!)

=== CUT ===
I have already signed up for yearly payment and added a credit card. Why is it telling me that? It makes me wonder whether I got that offer or not.

4) Danish translations in the IOS app: I click on the 1Password icon in the top left corner to choose a vault, here's a screenshot of the top part: https://www.dropbox.com/s/k33u5wfm2wgdqcf/1password - iOS translations.jpeg?dl=0
I'm not sure who you got to translate that to Danish, but you didn't pay enough ;)
The top header says "Brugere" which means "Users". Not sure whether that is accurate, it doesn't seem so to me.
The second translation "Alle hvælvinger". I can see where the word "hvælving" comes from and Google translate gives you that term if you translate "Vault", but "hvælving" means "arch" as in the Gateway Arch in St. Louis and it will confuse basically all Danish users. What's the correct term then? Good question. I'm not sure we have a really good alternative. "Bankboks" is the term for a physical vault in a bank, but that doesn't really work in this case. It might occur to me later, but as is, I can't really give you a good alternative.

1Password Version: 6.3.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Latest IOS
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Scuba629
    Scuba629
    Community Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

1.. Not sure what you mean here?

2.. The Account Key is unique to each account. When your account is created they tell you to keep it in a safe place, but then give you an option to do just that. You should be able to go to My Profile and Generate an Emergency Kit. This will allow you to save a PDF file with your account key. You can also print it and put it in a safe place.

2a.. Don't give them your Account Key! When you send them a link they will follow much of the same process you did. At the end of it they generate their own Account Key and Master Password.

4.. I agree that is a little confusing. I think they wanted to use the settings area originally for billing but instead created its own section. I could be wrong. =) If you have billing details in the billing section your set.

• Jacob
    Options

Hi @jramskov! This is some awesome feedback. I've got some answers for you too. :)

1) I find it a bit confusing that there's no mention of my existing account when I sign up. Would be nice with a notice that it would be handled later.

Sorry for the confusion there. You don't actually have an account before signing up for 1Password Families, because prior to this and 1Password for Teams, there were no 1Password accounts. You could purchase a license for the app and use that on your devices, but your data was stored on that device and you could sync it elsewhere if you decided to. Other than that, things were put in your hands. We wanted to make them simpler, though, so we developed the concept of accounts.

2) The Account Key: The info provided about what to do with it is lacking. Am I supposed to store it on a piece of paper? In a 1Password vault?

You can write it down if you'd like, but as @Scuba629 mentioned, the Emergency Kit is the best place to put this. We make it pretty clear that you should download that, print it, and write in your Master Password so you don't lose any of your account info later on. You can store it in a 1Password vault if you'd like, but if everything is in your Families account, it kind of defeats the purpose. :wink:

2a) I haven't added any family members yet - do they need to use the Account Key when they sign up and/or authorize a new device/browser?

They actually get their own Account Key once you invite them to the family and they sign up. They also create their own Master Password. This allows you to add them to specific vaults for organizing things. :) To invite someone, just sign in to 1Password.com, click your family name in the top right, and click Admin Console, then click Invitations. We have some great Quests to help you set up your account once you've completed the signup. They're located in the sidebar of the web interface. Did those help move things along?

3) I have already signed up for yearly payment and added a credit card. Why is it telling me that? It makes me wonder whether I got that offer or not.

Did it display that message before or after you subscribed? We just added this because we don't have any content for the Settings page, and we really didn't want to put a placeholder there because that's boring. I'm sorry if it added to the confusion.

Danish translations in the IOS app: I click on the 1Password icon in the top left corner to choose a vault, here's a screenshot of the top part: https://www.dropbox.com/s/k33u5wfm2wgdqcf/1password - iOS translations.jpeg?dl=0 I'm not sure who you got to translate that to Danish, but you didn't pay enough ;) The top header says "Brugere" which means "Users". Not sure whether that is accurate, it doesn't seem so to me.

Well this is good, because our translations are crowdsourced. Which means you can help make them better. :) Just head to our CrowdIn page to jump in. Thank you so much for noticing!

Now it's my turn to ask a question :lol: Overall, what do you think of Families so far?

• jramskov
    jramskov
    Community Member
    Options

@Scuba629
    1) As an existing user, there's no mention about my existing passwords saved in 1Password.
    2) It's conflicting information to me. Print it out and save it somewhere safe, but at the same time it is sort of implied that you are going to need it regularly.
    2a) Again, it's confusing as it doesn't say so.

@penderworth
    1) Yes, I pretty quickly figured that, but it doesn't say so anywhere. As I wrote in the start, this was just my experience and suggestions for improvements.
    2) As written above, it's the confusion about how often I would need it.
    2a) Again, it's confusing. It tells me that I need it every time I need to authorize a new browser or device. Since I'm the admin, it's not clear whether that counts for just my own account or for every account.
    3) It still displays it.
    4) Okay.

I haven't really started using it much yet, so too early to really tell. First step is to get the wife to sign up :)

One other thing I just experienced: 1Password seems unable to handle the 1Password teams signin page? (https://start.1password.com/signin/)

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jramskov,

I’m glad to see that Jacob was able to help you out here.

1) Yes, I pretty quickly figured that, but it doesn't say so anywhere. As I wrote in the start, this was just my experience and suggestions for improvements.

We really appreciate the feedback from a new user! We’ve been looking into ways to refine the set up flow to make it easier to understand, and your thoughts will help a lot.

This applies to the Account Key too. We’ve been struggling a fair bit trying to find the best way to ensure that users have it when they need it, but don’t need to worry about it too much (it’s a point where people do seem to get a bit hung up during the setup process.) The Account Key is a big bonus for your security, but it’s a new step that we need to educate users on, and we don’t want to interrupt the setup too much.

2a) Again, it's confusing. It tells me that I need it every time I need to authorize a new browser or device. Since I'm the admin, it's not clear whether that counts for just my own account or for every account.

Good point. I’ll pass this along to our web team. :)

3) It still displays it.

You’re right, at this time, that message will be there, whether you have added a credit card or not. Our team is working to make it go away once you have applied your credit card. As long as you see your credit card details on the billing page, you’re all set and will get the early adopter advantages.

4) Okay.

Thanks! We really appreciate users helping us make 1Password easy to understand for everyone.

One other thing I just experienced: 1Password seems unable to handle the 1Password teams signin page?

Could you tell me a bit more about what you’re seeing? You’re right, when you sign in to a new browser, you will have to copy and paste the Account Key, but once you have authorized your browser, Safari should cache the Account Key so that all you need to fill in is the email address and password.

• machale
    machale
    Community Member
    Options

One other thing I just experienced: 1Password seems unable to handle the 1Password teams signin page?

Could you tell me a bit more about what you’re seeing? You’re right, when you sign in to a new browser, you will have to copy and paste the Account Key, but once you have authorized your browser, Safari should cache the Account Key so that all you need to fill in is the email address and password.

I'm going to guess that @jramskov is referring to the fact that, even if you create a Login item in 1P for your family-name.1password.com page, you don't seem to be able to use it to fill in the login credentials for that page. Say I'm on my Mac and I've already logged into 1P mini, and for whatever reason, I want to go to my family-name.1password.com page in Firefox. I should be able to use 1P to auto-fill the login for my family page but it doesn't seem to want to fill in the Master Password. While that may be done on purpose for security reasons, it "feels" wrong since I clearly already entered my Master Password in the Mac 1P mini.

• Jacob
    Options

@machale Thanks for chiming in. If that's what they're talking about, it's actually not an issue. I have Login items for all my 1Password Accounts and they fill as expected in all the browsers. Could you try manually saving a new Login for yours and let us know if that fills properly? :)

• jramskov
    jramskov
    Community Member
    Options

I can see that I didn't explain it well enough. Logging in to 1Password for teams is a two step process when going through https://start.1password.com/signin/. First I need to enter my sign-in address. I would think it should be possible to get 1Password to fill that out? Getting 1Password to fill out the fields on family-name.1password.com works fine.

• Ben
    Options

I see. Thanks, @jramskov. I just tried this myself and wasn't able to save a login for the first page (where you're prompted for your sign-in address). I'll bring that up with our extension team.

In the mean time, it may make more sense to start on family-name.1password.com instead of start.1password.com

:)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.