Master Password Syncing Between Android and Mac

Christo
Christo
Community Member

Hey guys, I read the article explaining how the master password is saved, but it's a bit over my head and I'm still lost on this question:

If I've changed the master password via Android, how do I get my Mac to see that there's a new master password and to begin using/requiring it? I get that I could just change the master password on the Mac to use the same password, but is that the proper way? Is there not an actual way to sync the password? In any case, what would I do if I wanted to prevent another device that was previously sharing my dropbox/1password access, from continuing to have access to the data? I originally thought if I changed the master password and then it synced to all devices, then that'd be it, but obviously I got that wrong, lol.

Thank you much!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb-search:master password, kb:change-master-password

Comments

• Hi @Chriso,

Thanks for this great question, I'll do my best to explain!

I'm assuming you've setup dropbox sync with my following description of how the master password sync works. It is indeed possible to sync the master password among your devices.

1. You change your master password on the Android device
    2. This change gets written to your agilekeychain or opvault that you're using to sync your vault with the Mac
    3. Dropbox syncs the updated file to your Mac
    4. You can still login to the vault with the old password or the new one at this point
    5. Logging in with the new one updates your master password on the Mac

Unfortunately this synchronization method has no enterprise level functions like access revocation or user permissions. Once the data is on the device, its there. The old master password will continue to function on that device for anyone that might know it.

If you need those kind of functions you should look at 1Password Teams or 1Password Families.

Let me know if you have any follow up questions!

Rudy

• Hi @Christo. I just wanted to follow up on what Rudy mentioned. :)

Changes to the Master Password from Android aren't actually pushed to the vault, so you will need to go ahead and update your Master Password on your Mac as well. This is a known issue with 1Password on Android, and we're hoping to add support for syncing Master Password changes soon. I'll forward your feedback to the team!
    ref: OPA-386

In the meantime, go ahead and manually change the Master Password on the Mac to match, and that should do the trick. Let us know if you need anything else!

• Christo
    Christo
    Community Member

Thank you for both your responses, and @peri 's was spot on: Due to said issue, I was not able to login on my Mac using the new master password, but since I know I'm on the same page as you guys, I've gone ahead and manually updated that password as well! Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

You're most welcome! I'm glad to hear that Rudy and Peri were able to help by explaining both how Master Password "syncing" should work and the current workaround in 1Password for Android while we fix that issue respectively. It sounds like you should be all set, but we're here if you need anything else! :)

This discussion has been closed.