Browser plugin not always showing correct logins

I'm using 1Password 6.2.1 on MacOS 10.11.4 with Firefox 45.0.2 (Although this has been happening for the previous few versions of Firefox)

When I go to a login page, and then click on the 1Password toolbar icon, it doesn't show the correct login items. It just shows four login items for different systems. Some are webpages, other are SSH logins. Always the same ones, but none are applicable to the webpage currently open in the browser.

If I click the "Show 10 more items" text, it displays more logins (Again a mixture of SSH & webpage logins). Either by luck or design, the one I want is shown. If I then click the correct entry, 1Password then opens a new browser window/tab!

Suggestions?

GTG

1Password Version: 6.2.1
Extension Version: 4.5.5
OS Version: 10.11.4
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@gopher: The "correct" login is based on the URL you have saved in 1Password, so be sure that you have the URL saved for the login form you want. Can you give an example of a site you're having trouble with? Thanks in advance! :)

• gopher
    gopher
    Community Member

The sites I use are all internal/private ones, so not reachable from the outside world. But they're just simple HTTP/HTTPS websites.

GTG

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @gopher,

When I go to a login page, and then click on the 1Password toolbar icon, it doesn't show the correct login items. It just shows four login items for different systems. Some are webpages, other are SSH logins. Always the same ones, but none are applicable to the webpage currently open in the browser.

When you open a website and then click on the 1Password extension, it will show you Login items that match the website you're currently viewing. When you have 5 or more sites that match the same address, 1Password pulls what it believes is the closest match to the top, and hides the rest under "Show x more items".

So in your example, it sounds like the Login items listed at the top all contain the same URL, which is apparently a closer match for the website you're viewing than the Login item you actually want to use. One possibility here is that the Login item you're looking for has a URL with the same domain as the site you're viewing, but a different subdomain.

What you'll want to do is check the URLs contained in those Login items. Launch the main 1Password app and do a search for the domain of that website, and it should find all the Login items that match. If any of those Logins contain multiple website fields, you'll want to look closely at the URL in the first website field. Compare that to the other Logins. Are they all the same, or are some in a different subdomain? In particular, make sure you check the Login item that you wanted to use for the site in your example, and compare its (first) website field to the other Logins. Does that help to figure out the difference? Is the website you're visiting the exact same one from the Login item you expect to see when you click the 1Password extension?

• gopher
    gopher
    Community Member
    edited October 2016

I've tried storing the website field in various ways:

For sites that don't work, none of these options make a difference.

If I go to the main application and click "Open and fill", it opens the website, but might (or might not) fill in the password. Again, sometimes it does fill, and other times it doesn't.

What I have noticed, is that when 1Password doesn't offer the correct option, it offers all login possibilities in the same sub-domain as the host I'm trying to login to.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @gopher,

If you're still experiencing this can we just confirm what versions we're dealing with please. You were running 6.2.1 but that was back in April. We found and fixed a bug that sounds like what you're experiencing but it was fixed in 6.3 so if you're seeing it while running 6.3.3 that would be unexpected.

I would always recommend storing the full URL. That way you can use open and fill if you want, the other options won't work as the URL 1Password would pass won't lead to the actual login page.

It might be the filling issue is related to the matching or it may not. It's best to sort one and see if the other is still present. For this we'll want to see if the version could still be a factor. We'll know better when we hear back from you :smile:

• gopher
    gopher
    Community Member

Currently running:

1Password
    Version 6.3.3 (633000)
    Mac App Store

The plugin is 4.6.1 on Firefox 49.0 on MacOS 10.11.6

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni

The other possibility here is that the URL itself is getting mangled in one of our matching transformations, so it would be helpful if we could get the actual URL to see if it might be affected by one of our rules. As an example, in order to make your Apple ID show up on icloud.com and other such common domains, we have rules that equate certain domains to others. This allows us to do nice things more efficiently such as looking up your Logins when 1Password is locked. I'm not sure that's what's happening here, but if it's only affecting Logins from the one domain, it is certainly worth ruling out.

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits

• gopher
    gopher
    Community Member

99% of my URLs are in the same domain: phone.private.cam.ac.uk
    Some work, some don't. :(

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni

So, when you're on phone.private.cam.ac.uk, sometimes all of your Logins for cam.ac.uk show up and sometimes not all of them do? When you only see the shorter list, do you see a "Show [n] more items" below the Logins, where n is the number of additional Logins?

If some Logins are always missing, is there anything peculiar about them when you compare them to the other, functional Logins?

I'm sorry I don't have anything more definitive yet, but this is a strange problem. I feel like I'm missing something small that will be the key to understanding everything, so hopefully we'll get there very soon.

• gopher
    gopher
    Community Member

(Sorry for the late reply - I didn't see yours)

When I go to (I think) any phone.private.cam.ac.uk host which is configured in 1Password, 1Password shows me the first five entries from all the phone.private.cam.ac.uk options, plus the "Show additional N items" option. But it's not showing me just the one matching option. If I click through the "Show additional items" menu and select the correct one, 1Password opens a new tab and fill in the details in that new tab! Clearly 1Password does not think the current URL matches any of the ones in its database.

Yet, if I go to www.cisco.com, 1Password only shows me my cisco.com login and auto-fills correctly.

• gopher
    gopher
    Community Member

(If it'll help, we can do a WebEx so you can see what's going on)

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @gopher,

Can you test something for me please. What happens if you select one of the ones you're seeing this issue with and you create a new Login item using the steps outlined on our page How to save a Login manually in your browser. Does this new item display the same odd behaviour as the previous one?

• gopher
    gopher
    Community Member

Just tried that and no change. 1Password still offers me 5 plus 57 other login items.

:(

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @gopher,

Can you check the status of a particular setting for me please. Can you go into 1Password's preferences and switch to the Browsers tab. In there is the setting Allow filling on pages that closely match saved websites enabled or disabled? By default it is disabled and in all honesty I've yet to see that feature help anybody as we're always recommending disabling it to get better behaviour out of 1Password. I'm wondering if in your case it is enabled and it's causing undesirable behaviour.

• gopher
    gopher
    Community Member

:chuffed:

The setting was ticked, so I unticked it and all is well.

Thank you.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @gopher,

Success! :chuffed:

So by way of explanation. What 1Password normally does is first look for exact matches based on the FQDN (Fully Qualified Domain Name) and then for any Login items that match the registered domain i.e. excluding any subdomain but not the FQDN. If there are matches to the FQDN it will show those and hide the rest. What the option you've disabled does is discard the FQDN match and treat all Login items based on just the registered domain match. So in your example from above you could have an exact match to phone.private.cam.ac.uk but if you also have a Login item that matches to just cam.ac.uk 1Password is treating them equally which they clearly aren't.

I'm almost of the opinion that if we removed that option completely it wouldn't harm anybody's usage of 1Password as I haven't come across a scenario where it's helpful, just many cases where it's caused confusion like here. That's on us of course.

Glad to hear things are behaving better now, let us know if you run into any other filling issues :smile:

This discussion has been closed.