How to disable the 1Password Helper background task [possible but not permanently]

Options
wearehalfhill
wearehalfhill
Community Member
edited April 2016 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I recall that there used to be a preference to disable 1password from running in the background. I have switched to another password management system that better meets my needs on Windows, and keep 1Password around for odds and ends (like software licenses and the like). However, I don't want any browser integration or background tasks running. I've successfully disabled the Startup item and browser extensions, but whenever I open 1Password, a background task hangs around after I quit. How can I disable that?

1Password Version: 4.6.0.604
Extension Version: --
OS Version: Win10 (latest)
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Hi @wearehalfhill,

Thanks for writing in.

What you're trying to do is possible in theory but the change isn't permanent and once the background app is running, there is no way to quit the 1Password Helper when you quit the main application.

To prevent the 1Password Helper from launching, you will have to delete the string for Agile1pAgent.exe in the Registry:
    1. Open Regedit by pressing the WINDOWS+R keys on your keyboard and typing regedit.
    2. Confirm that you wish to allow the app to make changes to your system.
    3. If you're on a 64bit system, navigate to HKLM/SOFTWARE/WOW6432Node/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Run.
    4. Delete the string for Agile1pAgent.exe.
    5. Reboot your machine.

This will prevent the 1Password Helper from starting during launch.

I said this is only temporary, because we always assume that people want to use the 1Password browser extensions, which is why 1Password will try to launch the 1Password Helper whenever possible:

• When you try to install a browser extension from the 1Password preferences.
    • When you click on 'Help > Restart 1Password Helper' in the menu bar.
    • When you install an update.

In each of these cases 1Password will write the registry key again and the 1Password Helper will launch at startup, again.

The 1Password Helper doesn't take up many system resources, hardly any, actually. What you could do, is disable the tray icon, so you won't see 1Password unless you need it. This can be set in the preferences on the 'General' tab: Show 1Password icon in the notification area.

I hope this helps!

This discussion has been closed.