Using 1password to login to computer

blainesch
blainesch
Community Member

I had an idea that might be possible, at least for Mac.

The problem is you need to memorize more than one password when using 1password. You need to memorize a few (dropbox/computer/vault) etc. I think it would be nice if you just had to memorize your vault password.

The issue is how do you get 1password working on your computer before you are even logged in?

I've seen remote keyboards that hint as this... what if you could bluetooth or usb your phone in as a hid/keyboard and it could type in your password at login or for dropbox?

Currently the remote keyboards work on the login screen if you are just locked, but they don't work when you are logged out, but maybe this can be changed by having the root user install the software?

This was previously discussed, but the topic was locked.
https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/36926/1password-help-unlock-login-to-a-computer

1Password Version: 6.2.1
Extension Version: 4.5.6.90
OS Version: OS X 10.11.4
Sync Type: DropBox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@blainesch: Ideally, we'd like to have a secure extension framework on OS X the way that iOS 8 and later do. Requiring administrative rights is 1) annoying, 2) alarming to users who have rightly learned that this can be dangerous, and 3) sort of a chicken and egg problem, since 1Password obviously won't be able to authenticate there. ;)

There are some obstacles, but it's certainly something we'll be considering as we develop future versions of 1Password. Thanks for bringing this up! :)

This discussion has been closed.