How to use a Windows 1Password browser extension when my 1Password usage is Mac-based?

If this is addressed elsewhere, please feel free to link to it.

I use the latest version of 1P on my home iMac, running the latest system software. I do not own an iPhone.

I use a Windows PC (Win7) at my workplace. I would like to have access to my password and notes information there. With 1PasswordAnywhere effectively defunct, how can I access my store of information saved on my home iMac from my Windows-based work PC?

Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:1password windows browser

Comments

• Hi @brownstudy,

Are you currently using any sync tool to sync your data between your PC and Mac, like Dropbox or OneDrive? Can you use Dropbox at work?

If not, then your best option is to use a USB drive to transfer the data manually between both computers. You can enable Folder Sync in 1Password on your iMac to sync its vault to your USB drive. On the PC, copy the vault file from the USB drive to the Documents > 1Password directory and open up 1Password, it should then let you unlock the vault.

• brownstudy
    brownstudy
    Community Member

I'm sorry, I think I left out a key bit of information, which is that 1Password is NOT installed on my Windows work PC. It's locked down. On reflection, though, I could probably install 1P for Windows if it does not require sys admin privileges. If that's the case, then your solution would work fine. (Would I be paying for a second 1P license in that case?)

I am able to successfully sync via Dropbox's web page (which is why 1PAnywhere was great for me), but I cannot install the Dropbox application on my Windows PC.

Problems, problems! I'm psychologically ready for there to be no solution for this use case, or for the solution to be roundabout. It's not a major annoyance, but would be nice there were less friction involved.

Thanks!

Mike

• Hi @brownstudy,

The problem right now is that the installer for 1Password 4 for Windows do require admin rights but the actual program doesn't need admin rights. The next version of 1Password for Windows we're working on doesn't require any admin rights but we're still a bit far away from its stable release.

Do you need full write permissions? The reason I ask is that we do have a beta version of 1Password 6 for Windows here that you could try. It doesn't require admin rights and it has Dropbox sync built-in, so you don't have to install a separate Dropbox client. Right now, it doesn't let you edit or add new items but it will let you read your vault content but over time, we'll enable full support.

Just so you know, you can use 1Password on any number of PCs you will use 1Password on, the license is for one user, not one install.

• brownstudy
    brownstudy
    Community Member

Thanks for the info! I might try the beta a little later. I don't need the full 1P experience, it is simply very convenient to have that info near to hand. Thanks also the info about licensing.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I'm glad Mike was able to help. Be sure to reach out if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.