1Password opens, then closes within 2 seconds

Options
debstr
debstr
Community Member

I downloaded the latest 1Password update today. Since then 1Password will open with my master password, but promptly closes and locks again within 1-2 seconds. I cannot access any of my passwords! I have closed my browser, rebooted my computer, but still 1Password will open, then promptly close again. This is not my original name on this forum, but since I can't access my passwords I had to open another account.

1Password Version: 6.3
Extension Version: 4.5.6
OS Version: OS X 10.11.5
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:Keeps closing

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @debstr,

I'm sorry 1Password keeps closing right after you unlock it! That's very strange, but we'll help you solve this one way or another.

It sounds like the problem is happening with the main 1Password app? If so, please try the following steps:

• Go to the Applications folder and drag the 1Password app file to the Trash (do not use any app cleaning tools).
    • Empty the Trash.
    • Reboot your Mac.
    • After your Mac restarts, download a fresh copy of 1Password. (If you use the AgileBits Store version, download it from our download site. If you use the Mac App Store version, launch the Mac App Store and download/install it from the Purchased section.)
    • Once downloaded, unzip the file if necessary and drag it to the Applications folder (this step only applies to the AgileBits Store version).
    • Go to the Applications folder and double-click the new app to open it.

Please let us know how it goes, and if it's still a problem, we'll continue from there. Thanks!

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited June 2016
    Options

Hey folks, I just had the same thing happen to me too. I had just unlocked the main app, switched to a new app, and the main app locked immediately.

1Password 6
    Version 6.5.BETA-2 (650002)
    AgileBits Beta

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @MrC ,

Thanks for letting us know that you’ve come across this as well. Did you follow Drew’s steps and reinstall the app? If so, I’m curious if that helped, and if not, then perhaps a Diagnostics Report might shed a bit of light on what happened.

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the Diagnostics Report(s) to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report(s) in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report(s) in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report(s) and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Yup, just waiting for the issue to occur (or not).

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

No problem, it sounds like something that might happen rather sporadically. If/when it does, hopefully the report will help us figure out why. :)

• debstr
    debstr
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks so much. It was so weird. The reason it took me so long to get back to you was that after a few hours 1Password starting opening normally again. However, I was not able to open 1Password Mini by opening the main 1Password. Eventually that got on my nerves enough that I took Drew_AG's advice and trashed 1Password and re-downloaded it. It worked and now both 1Password and 1Password Mini is working normally. Since 1Password is something that I rely on multiple times per day and it normally works so well, it was scary when it stopped working as usual. I need 1Password!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That's excellent news! Thank you for taking the time to follow up on this and let us know how it all turned out. I'm glad that deleting & reinstalling the app helped to solve the problem you ran into with 1Password mini.

Hopefully you're all set now, but if you run into more problems or need anything else, just let us know. Have a great weekend! :)

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited June 2016
    Options

This just happened to me again. It occurs right after waking up the system from sleep, and almost immediately going to 1Password to unlock it. DR sent.

XMN-11134-914

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @MrC,

Thank you for the diagnostics report, someone will see it soon and figure out what's going on here! We'll be in touch about this over email :chuffed:

ref: XMN-11134-914

This discussion has been closed.