Username/Password Variables

Options
linoleum
linoleum
Community Member
edited June 2016 in Mac

Are there variables or placeholders that can be used in the website field that will get replaced with the username/password when opened? So in the below example website:

http://$$User:$$Password@example.com

$$user gets replaced with the username field and $$password gets replaced with the password field on "open and fill".

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @linoleum ,

I'm not sure I quite understand your goal here - could you tell me a little bit more about what you're hoping to accomplish? If you're looking to speed up the log in process for your favourite sites, let me tell you my workflow for signing in to websites:

1. Use Command-Option-\ to open 1Password mini.
    2. The search field is automatically active, so I just start typing the name of the item I wish to fill.
    3. When the correct item is highlighted, I hit Enter.
    4. 1Password opens a new tab to the correct web address and fills my details.

This means I almost never have to worry about typing a web address into Safari's menu bar. It's a pretty efficient way to get to your favourite sites quickly.

Does this help with your question?

• linoleum
    linoleum
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Megan,

Thanks for the response.

Think of it like FTP. I can access an ftp site using the link ftp://linoleum:lamb@ftpsite.com where linoleum is the username and lamb is the password. I could put ftp://linoleum:lamb@ftpsite.com in the website field of my login and it would work great but I don't like the idea of organizing it like that. I'd prefer to have linoleum in the username field and lamb in the password field. I would then like to be able to put ftp://$$username:$$password@ftpsite.com in the website field and when I click on it, it would open ftp://linoleum:lamb@ftpsite.com. My question is, is that possible? Does there exist some string that will get replaced with the username/password when I open the site?

Hope this clears things up. Thanks again!

• Hi @linoleum,

Currently, that is not possible, but I do have a work around. If you create a custom password field you could put the url including the username and password there. I don't recommend putting it in the website field since that field is exported in plain text if you use the "Enable 3rd Party App Integration" feature. But if you put the entire URL in a second password field, you can copy it from there and use it where you need to. I realize having to copy and paste it is not as elegant as being able to click an "open and fill" button, but it will work for now.

Cheers,
    Kevin

This discussion has been closed.