Urgent, entire sections of secure notes missing

Nolan1nt3raktive
Nolan1nt3raktive
Community Member

I logged into 1Password this morning to find that entire sections of Secure Notes are missing, the notes existed in subfolders and contained critical info & credentials that I use to store customer data. Nothing that I am aware of changed between yesterday and today except for shutting down my computer and booting it this morning.

I'm probably missing between 150 and 200 secure notes so this is rather urgent.

1Password Version: 6.3.1
Extension Version: 4.5.69
OS Version: 10.11.5
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:Secure notes gone

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2016

Hi @Nolan1nt3raktive,

I’m so sorry to hear that you’re having this trouble! I can imagine it’s rather frustrating. It sounds like you haven’t made any big changes lately, so it’s a bit of a mystery why this occurred. We could spend some time digging into the why, but if you’re needing these notes back urgently, I think the quickest way to solve this problem right now is to restore to a recent backup.

You can restore to a backup by using File > Restore in 1Password’s menu. Please let me know if this helps!

• Nolan1nt3raktive
    Nolan1nt3raktive
    Community Member

What I did was find a last-known good backup that had the missing items, restored it, then exported all the items to a 1pif folder.

Next, I restored from the most recent backup, then imported the items I had exported from the last-known good backup.

I did this because we frequently add and change notes on a daily-basis (hourly actually), and there would have been too many missing notes and logins between the last-known good backup and today (and no way to really know for sure which ones). There would have been almost 9 days of missing data.

So now the problem is my database went from 1,790 items, to 3,576 items, roughly half of them duplicates...

Is there any way to de-dupe the database..?

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2016

@Nolan1nt3raktive,

I'm glad you were able to restore from a backup!

Unfortunately, there is not actually a function to find duplicates. However, you can set up a custom search and set your own criteria for what you consider to be a duplicate. Click the magnifying glass in the search field, and select Show Search Options.

Click the + button at the end of the line to add additional search criteria. You can even hold down the Option key while clicking the + to nest search criteria.

This discussion has been closed.