Whens someone leaves the company... what do I do with their 1Password?

Options
randreottola
randreottola
Community Member

We use 1Password as a company. How do we disable access when someone leaves? From both a security standpoint and financial standpoint, can we deactivate someone that leaves and "recycle" their license? Out third-party IT vendor has always managed 1Password setup so I'm very confused by it. Is there an admin of any kind where I can remove people, invite people, etc?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@randreottola before we begin I want to clarify something: Are you talking about using 1Password Teams, a subscription service we recently introduced, or about purchasing 1Password licenses for your team members and sharing between the standalone apps?

• randreottola
    randreottola
    Community Member
    Options

We don't use teams yet, we have a shared company vault and each employee sets up their personal vault.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @randreottola,

Our new service, 1Password for Teams was actually designed to make this whole process simple for you. With 1Password Teams you can easily add new team members and ensure that former employees do not have future access to company data.

Since you’re using a standalone license for 1Password, the situation is a little bit different.

From a financial perspective, once the employee leaves, their license ‘seat’ will be available for your next employee.

From a security perspective, it’s best to change all of the important passwords currently stored in your shared company vault. If you’re sharing the vault through Dropbox, you can revoke your employee’s access to the Dropbox folder, which will prevent them from receiving updates to the vault, but there is no way (with the standalone licenses) to revoke their access to the vault directly.

I hope this helps, but we’re here if you have any further questions or concerns!

This discussion has been closed.