Where can I find big picture explanation for how 1password works and syncs with mac/iphone/ipad.

mmdtulsa
mmdtulsa
Community Member

I don't know where to start. I've got the app on iPhone and iPad but not able to see it on mac. I really need a video or great explanation to show me the overall big picture of how all this fits together. Seems to be overly complicated to set up. My ultimate goal is to set up for team and family. I need explanations of vaults, etc. I've entered two cards on iPad and they synced with my iPhone but not mac. I don't want to go any further til I can understand how it's all set up. Please help!

1Password Version: 6.4.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:Where can I find basic explanation of how 1password works, I need overall picture for mac/iphone/ipa

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @mmdtulsa,

I'm sorry you're having a bit of trouble syncing your 1Password data to your Mac! We'll help to figure this out one way or another.

I've got the app on iPhone and iPad but not able to see it on mac.

Just to make sure I understand, when you say you can't "see it on mac", do you mean you can't find the 1Password app on your Mac? Or do you mean that when you open & unlock the 1Password app on your Mac, it doesn't show the items you entered in 1Password on your iPad?

You need to have the 1Password for Mac app installed on your Mac in order to sync your data there, so if the problem is simply that you don't have the app, you can get a copy of it from our download site. Once the download completes, unzip the file if necessary, then move the 1Password 6.app file to the Applications folder on your Mac. The first time you open it, you'll be taken through a setup and will be able to choose to sync your data from iCloud. You can find the steps in our user guide here: Use existing 1Password data on a new computer

On the other hand, if you already have the app on your Mac and can open & unlock it with your master password, but the data you enter in 1Password on your iPad doesn't show up there, please check the sync settings to make sure iCloud sync is set up properly:

On your Mac:

• Open 1Password and go to the menu for 1Password > Preferences.
    • Click the Sync tab and make sure iCloud is selected for your Primary vault.
    • If it shows a different sync option or says None, enable sync with iCloud by following the steps here: Sync with iCloud (Mac)

On your iPad:

• Open 1Password and go to Settings > Sync > Primary.
    • Make sure it shows the Sync Service is iCloud.
    • If it shows a different sync service or says Start Syncing, enable sync with iCloud by following the steps here: Sync with iCloud (iOS)

Let us know how it goes. If iCloud sync wasn't enabled on your Mac or iPad, does enabling it solve the problem?

• mmdtulsa
    mmdtulsa
    Community Member

thanks for your reply :) thought I was all clear on this but guess not. I'm using it on the Mac now, but on my phone, even after syncing, it says I have to add an account. So here's what I see: I paid $9.99 to apple for the app but I got an email from 1password saying couldn't find account. I'm using it on my mac and it says it's a trial version...?? iPhone says I need to add an account and I can see that it IS syncing but still requiring me to add info such as account key, etc. But I can't get that info because 1password says I have no account. Going in circles - missing something. Thanks.

• mmdtulsa
    mmdtulsa
    Community Member

Forgot to tell you that I have 'confirmed' my email address several times.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @mmdtulsa,

I apologize for the confusion here! I think we’re still working on defining the big picture here. Let’s take a step back.

There are currently two ways to use 1Password:

Standalone 1Password licenses

You can purchase and use the apps on their own, and choose a third party service to sync your data to any other devices that you use.

1Password Accounts

You can sign up for a 1Password account. Your subscription fee will include the latest versions of all the 1Password apps, and with an account, syncing is handled for you, so all your information is instantly available as soon as you sign in to your account on a new device.

If you say that you made a purchase for $9.99, it sounds to me like you’ve bought the iOS Pro features for 1Password on your iPhone. This means that you’ve at least begun the process to use 1Password without an account. To continue in this vein, you would need to purchase a license for the desktop version of 1Password as well. As for using 1Password, you should see the option to ‘use without an account.’

However, it sounds to me like you’re interested in our 1Password Families and 1Password Families accounts, since you mentioned earlier:

My ultimate goal is to set up for team and family.

There are benefits to both the standalone apps and the 1Password accounts. Let’s figure out which solution is best for you first, and then we can ensure that you’re all set up!

This discussion has been closed.