I can't log into my bank site without being asked an authentication question

Options
PNpqt02
PNpqt02
Community Member

Every time I log into my bank web site using 1Password, the bank site asks me an authentication question. I bought 1Password so that I wouldn't have to memorize authentication questions and answers. Is there something about the way 1Password is sending my username and password that the bank site doesn't trust 100%?

1Password Version: 6.3.1
Extension Version: 4.5.7
OS Version: OS X 10.11.6
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:I can't log into my bank site without being asked an authentication question

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Some bank sites just ask for extra authentication. Do other ways of logging in also ask a question? If not, it might be a 1PW issue, but if they do, it is the bank's setup.

You can always add your answers in the notes section of a 1PW entry so that you don't have remember them, but mostly 1PW cannot automatically fill in the answer.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @PNpqt02,

Thanks for writing in with your question! Danco is correct - some sites (especially financial sites) include security questions as part of their sign-in process. That's not something we can control. However, you certainly don't need to memorize those security questions/answers - as danco mentioned, you can save them in 1Password. I like to keep track of those by adding custom fields in a Login item, which makes it very easy to copy/paste them when necessary. But it's also very easy to simply put them all in the notes field.

I've also noticed some sites like that have a box you can check during the sign-in which says you're using a trusted computer - if you see something like that on the sign-in page, that might turn off the security questions when you sign in from that same computer & browser.

Hopefully this helps, but please let us know if you need anything else. Have a great weekend! :)

This discussion has been closed.