How to upgrade from version 3.

Hi there

In the past I downloaded version 3 of 1PW for my Mac. I stopped using it for a long time and I’m now interested in upgrading, as I need to tighten up the ship at work (so to speak). After reading your forums I’m aware that I can get some sort of discount for the upgrade, as I realize after 3 it was a paid upgrade ( I can’t remember how I paid in the first place - not sure if that causes issues). Also I want to transfer the 1password data from my iMac to my Macbook air and run the program from my Macbook air as I use the most frequently. In addition my workplace don’t want to upgrade beyond version 10.9.5 and so which password version should i download and will that cause me any problems.

Also - very importantly- next year I’m taking a break from work for a year and will be handing my work computer in -the macbook air i mention earlier. My family and i will use an iPad while we travel - what will be my options then. Can I use the web version or would i have to buy another license?

Thanks

gareth

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Gareth12,

I’d be happy to help you get your license upgraded!

Before we talk about licenses however, I did want to let you know about a new way to use 1Password: 1Password accounts. Instead of purchasing a new license (which is good for the current version of 1Password and all in-version updates), you can pay a small monthly fee to have access to all of the 1Password apps across any platforms you might use, with all updates and upgrades included for as long as your account is active. We’ve got a 1Password Families account that is great for sharing securely among your family members.

However, if you’d like to continue purchasing 1Password with a standalone license, that’s still an option as well. You can upgrade your current license on our upgrade page. Just enter your existing license to see your loyalty discount.

Also I want to transfer the 1password data from my iMac to my Macbook air and run the program from my Macbook air as I use the most frequently.

Your 1Password license can be used on as many Macs as you personally use, so there’s no need to transfer from one to the other. We can set up sync so that all of your computers are always up-to-date with the latest data. You can read about 1Password’s sync options here:

Sync your 1Password data

In addition my workplace don’t want to upgrade beyond version 10.9.5 and so which password version should i download and will that cause me any problems.

1Password 6 does require OS X 10.10 (Yosemite). For older computers (or ones where the operating system just hasn’t been upgraded) you can download the Legacy versions of 1Password.

If you decide to go with a 1Password account, it is important to note that you do need 1Password 6 in order to access your account data within the app, so you would not be able to add your 1Password data to 1Password on your work machine. However, 1Password accounts include online access to your data via a web interface, so you would still be able to access your 1Password data in a browser.

My family and i will use an iPad while we travel - what will be my options then. Can I use the web version or would i have to buy another license?

1Password for iOS is a free download from the iOS App Store. There are some Pro features available for a one-time In-App Purchase - these features will be automatically unlocked if you sign in to the iOS app with your 1Password account. Regardless of how you choose to use 1Password (with an account, or with or without the Pro features) we can set up sync to ensure that the data on your iPad matches the data on your computers. The link above will give you the broad strokes on how to set things up, but we’re happy to walk you through the process here if that’s simpler.

• Gareth12
    Gareth12
    Community Member

Hi Megan
    Thanks for your response and sorry I didn't reply sooner - we've been on our summer hols!

Sooo- if i did go with the older version (4 I think) for now and managed to upload my old data on my work machine, how would I have online access on other computers? I thought you had to sign up to 1password 6 for this online access/syncing? I'm guessing that with the older version too, that I would be able to input data on my other computers - only on my work computer??
    Thanks again.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for your response and sorry I didn't reply sooner - we've been on our summer hols!

@Gareth12: Not that you need an excuse — we're here whenever you need us — but that's a pretty good one, as far as I'm concerned! ;)

Sooo- if i did go with the older version (4 I think) for now and managed to upload my old data on my work machine, how would I have online access on other computers? I thought you had to sign up to 1password 6 for this online access/syncing? I'm guessing that with the older version too, that I would be able to input data on my other computers - only on my work computer??

You're right that a 1Password Account (for a 1Password Families or individual subscription plan, for example) will only work with 1Password 6 or higher. So while you won't be able to take advantage of all of those great features if you're using 1Password 4, if you prefer the subscription as an easy way to get all of the apps (and perhaps an investment in using 1Password 6 in the future), we can work with you on getting things setup with local vaults and syncing using Dropbox instead in the mean time. Let us know how you'd like to proceed! :)

This discussion has been closed.