Store generated passwords in the vault

aproudlove
aproudlove
Community Member

Hi,
This is possibly more of a future feature request I think and perhaps someone has already requested it but I didnt find it when I was browsing the forums.
I just went to Dropbox.com to change my password there, I used the password generator feature of 1P to come up with something more secure. It filled in the new password in the correct field and after confirming it at Dropbox, prompted me to update an existing password or save it as something new. I selected update existing, confirmed it and that was that.
However when I checked the password field in 1P, it was still showing the old password. I wanted to paste the password in manually but when I chose to edit the field and tried to paste it, nothing happened. I checked the clipboard but the new password wasnt there (which is by design I believe but I was just hoping). I dont quite understand why it didnt save / update the existing login though.

OS X 10.11.6 / Safari 9.1.2 / 1Password 6.3.2 / Extension 4.5.8

The feature request I was thinking of though, would it be possible to have a section in the 1Password application called "Generated passwords" or something such like that would store the passwords generated for that session (i.e. the time 1P is open) or something, so if something like this happens, you have a chance to retrieve the password?

Thanks a lot,

Andrew

1Password Version: 6.3.2
Extension Version: 4.5.8
OS Version: 10.11.6
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @aproudlove

Thank you for taking some time to write to us. I'm sorry to hear that your password wasn't updated in 1Password! Sometimes things fall between the cracks, and without enough context data to reproduce it, it's hard to fix :( We do hope this doesn't happen again for you! If it does, please let us know so we can investigate further.

I have great news for you! Your idea is not only great but something we already do :chuffed: Whenever you fill or copy a password from the generator an item on the category "Passwords" is created. This is designed as a safety net for cases exactly like the one you described. You should be abel to retrieve your password there.

If you have any questions about how this works or about anything else, please let us know, we're always here for you! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.