Web-site logins correctly on PC, but not on Android, with identical password

Options
pbryanw
pbryanw
Community Member
edited October 2016 in Android

Hi,

I'm having a problem with http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk - whereby I can login to the web-site using Firefox on PC or Mac (using the latest 1Password for Desktop programs) but, for some reason, Chrome on Android (on my Nexus 5X) won't let me login to the site (the site says my email or password is incorrect). So far, it's happened on www.mysupermarket.co.uk but I've also noticed this problem on one or two other sites.

I'm using a 50 character length password to login, with 5 symbols and 5 digits. The only difference I've noticed is that on my Android device, their web-site is a mobile version instead of the Desktop version I get on PC or Mac. I've also checked both 1Password Desktop and Mobile apps, and the password for this site is identical on both platforms. I'm also using the 1Password keyboard to fill-in the password on Android if this helps.

Any help appreciated, as I don't have a clue why this is happening? :)

Thanks, Paul

1Password Version: 6.4.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Android Nougat 7.0
Sync Type: 1Password Account

Comments

• peri
    Options

Hi @pbryanw. Thanks for getting in touch with us and reporting this issue. :)

To be clear, 1Password is filling fine, but your credentials are being rejected when signing in on mobile? You mentioned that you're using the 1Password keyboard. Are you able to automatically fill here, or are you manually filling (tapping Fill username and Fill password)? If you're automatically filling, can you try disabling automatic filling in your device's Accessibility settings and then try filling manually with the keyboard? Let me know if you're able to sign in that way. Thanks!

• pbryanw
    pbryanw
    Community Member
    Options

@peri - Hi, thanks for your help with this. Yes, to clarify, 1Password is filling fine, but the web-site is rejecting the credentials when I try and sign-in on my mobile device.

I was manually filling (tapping Fill username & Fill Password), as this web-site doesn't seem to support automatic filling. I've just tried copying the login details across from the 1Password Android app, not using the 1Password keyboard, and my login details are still being rejected by the web-site.

Does this sound like it could be something to do with Chrome, or the www.moneysupermarket.co.uk mobile web-site, rather then 1Password? Most web-sites I can login successfully with the 1Password keyboard or app - it's just this one seems to be different?

Thanks, Paul

• peri
    Options

Hi @pbryanw. Thanks for the update. I've tested this out on my own, and when registering an account (using the same password parameters you mentioned; 50 chars, 5 digits, and 5 symbols), when I entered it into the password field on registration it was truncated to 30 characters. I believe this is the reason for the issue. When you fill on your desktop, it auto-submits, so once the first 30 characters are entered it submits and is accepted. However, on mobile, you're entering the full 50 character password and it's being rejected by the site.

Can you create a duplicate of this Login item on your desktop and delete the last 20 characters of the password, so that it's just the first 30? Are you able to fill on Android with that modified password?

• pbryanw
    pbryanw
    Community Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

@Peri - Hi, thanks for taking the time to replicate the issue at your end, and working out what may have been causing it :+1:

I created a duplicate of my Login for the mysupermarket site (I've now realised my password was 40 characters long, with 5 digits and no symbols). I deleted the last 10 characters, to take it down to 30 characters, but I was unable to log into their desktop & mobile sites with the new password.

I've now requested a password reset from the site, but haven't heard anything back from them yet. Once I hear back, I'm going to try resetting my password to a 30 character one and see if that will work with their mobile site.

I've also noticed on their desktop site, if I auto-fill the password using the 1Password extension, I'm able to login with my 40 character password (I have auto-submit turned off), but if I copy and paste my username and password from the 1Password app, I get the same result as the mobile site - an incorrect email or password warning.

It's certainly puzzling to me. And thanks for your continued help with this :+1:

• pbryanw
    pbryanw
    Community Member
    Options

@peri - Hi, eventually the password reset email came through, and I was able to reset the password to a 30-character one, containing just letters & numbers, using the 1Password mobile app.

Using this password, I was able to logon successfully to the mobile mysupermarket.com web-site :+1: So it looks like you were entirely correct about the 30-character limit. The problem seems to be with the web-site accepting passwords longer than 30-chars, which then get rejected on their mobile site.

Thanks for all the help received on here, and hopefully this experience might prove useful to me & others in the future :+1:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

The problem seems to be with the web-site accepting passwords longer than 30-chars, which then get rejected on their mobile site.

@pbryanw: Agh! Thanks for the update. That's happened to me as well on occasion, and it made me question my own sanity! :crazy:

I'm glad that Peri was able to point you in the right direction there, and we're here for you if you need anything else. Have a great weekend! :)

This discussion has been closed.