October 17 update - Is 6-digit code to verify 1Password extension required every time we sign in ?

Options
gayemacy
gayemacy
Community Member

Can you address the latest update? The language is unclear. In October 17 update - Is 6-digit code to verify extension 1Password connection to 1Password required every time we sign in to 1Password?

1Password Version: 6.3.3
Extension Version: 4.5.9
OS Version: 10.11.6
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @gayemacy,

Thanks for reaching out to us with your question! I'm sorry if that new verification caused any confusion.

No, you won't be asked to verify a code every time you use the 1Password browser extension. That's only necessary when you first install the extension in a browser, or when the extension is first updated to the new version that includes this feature. After that one-time approval, the 1Password extension and app will remember that you've given them permission to communicate with each other. (Keep in mind that if you install the extension in another browser, or if you uninstall & reinstall the extension, you'll be asked to approve it again.)

I hope that answers your question, but if you need anything else, please let us know. We're always happy to help! :)

• ahattman
    ahattman
    Community Member
    Options

I have updated my copy of 1Password but it does not display a code to verify. Where should I find the code.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2016
    Options

Hi @ahattman,

The verification window with the code will only appear if the latest updates for both the 1Password app and the 1Password browser extension have been installed. So for example, if you've installed the update for 6.3.4 of the main 1Password app, but the browser extension hasn't been updated, you won't see the prompt.

To check the exact version of the main 1Password app, just open the app and go to 1Password > About 1Password in the menubar.

To check the exact version of the 1Password extension, follow the steps here: How to keep the 1Password browser extension up to date

Does that help? If you have the latest installed but haven't seen the prompt about verifying the code, please let us know the exact versions of the app and extension, as well as which browser you're using (and its version). Thanks! :)

• ahattman
    ahattman
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Drew,

I'm using 1Password 6.3.4 on my Mac and 4.6.1 browser extension for Safari, Chrome and Firefox. The browsers show the verification code but the Mac application does not request the verification code.

• NigelA10
    NigelA10
    Community Member
    Options

Well you seem to have completely screwed up 1PW
    I have the latest updates and get a code in Safari, and Chrome and Firefox but NO CODE SHOWS UP IN 1PW
    and the 1PW Mini app quits immediately
    I have already deleted and reinstalled everything twice, and disabled little snitch and Firewall options - still not working

• NigelA10
    NigelA10
    Community Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

Oh and I forgot to mention
    the XXXXXX.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper
    also quits "unexpectedly"
    I had to uninstall the extension to stop Safari asking for a code everytime
    Despite turning off the 1PW preference to"verify code signature" in advanced prefs
    WTF!!

• gayemacy
    gayemacy
    Community Member
    Options

I'm running Mac 10.12 (just released today) Sierra; Password 6.3.3, and the code didn't appear. I had to repopen Password twice to get the mini-password to open up, but now it's there.

• gayemacy
    gayemacy
    Community Member
    Options

What I meant was, no code came up.

• pbGuy
    pbGuy
    Community Member
    Options

I'm using macOS 10.12 & Safari 10.0 with newly installed, 1PW 6.3.4 from MAS.

To: Drew_AG
    Quote from you prior 10/17 Post:
    "... To check the exact version of the main 1Password app, just open the app and go to 1Password > About 1Password in the menubar.
    To check the exact version of the 1Password extension, follow the steps here: How to keep the 1Password browser extension up to date
    Does that help? ..."

In answer to your question... Sort of...

While I'm glad to report the 6-digit code between my 1PW Extension and Safari confirmation matched, let me advise how I ultimately got the code as it didn't come about the way I expected based upon the detail provided at the Support link you provided.

When I viewed my 1PW Extension in Safari Extensions, it was version 4.5.9; and, the auto-update box in Safari Extensions was checked. (Just looking at the Pref window, I had no idea whether there was a newer version. It was only from seeing ahattan's Post where 4.6.1 was referenced, that I realized my 1PW Extension was not up to date.) Moreover, there was not any obvious option about how to force update the 1PW Extension (since I knew, at this point, the 1PW Extension needed updating). So taking a wild guess, I unchecked the auto update box and re-checked it (without closing any Safari windows or without restarting Safari), and immediately, the 1PW Extension updated to 4.6.1. Upon that completing, the 6-digit code box immediately appeared, from the 1PW Mini's Finder icon, and immediately a Safari tab opened showing a 6-digit code, which fortunately was the same as was showing from 1PW Mini's drop down window.

As result, I assume 1PW 6.3.4 MAS and 1PW Safari Extension 4.6.1 are correctly in sync.

For those experiencing issues with this 6-digit code process, I must say the implementation of this process, is not as intuitive as it should be. ...There isn't even any updated, Support instructions dealing precisely with this 6-digit code procedure or even, what to do if the 1PW Extension is not auto-updating (as it should) in the Safari Extensions.

I hope going forward, Agile Bits will not make updates available until updated and detailed, Support Instructions are posted and 1PW users made aware of these Instructions before attempting an update. ...Cutting these corners causes needless user frustration and Forum threads dealing with avoidable, update problems.

...So, while your Support link was somewhat helpful, the Link was not as helpful as it should have been since it had not been updated (with snapshots showing what should happen) for this 6-digit code verification process.

• NigelA10
    NigelA10
    Community Member
    Options

So Where is the support in this forum?
    I have used 1PW for years and its always been reliable - until yesterday, and now it is completely broken
    I am running macOS 10.12, 1PW 6.3.4 and 1PW Extension 4.6.1 (currently uninstalled)
    As soon as Safari opens it requests a CODE and 1PW mini crashes along with the onepassword-osx-helper
    The only requests I get from 1PW mini is for my Master Password
    Apparently this "upgrade" is being beta-tested by the user base, and I am not happy that you have broken something that has worked for years
    If you cannot fix this I will have to look for an alternative

• Rooty
    Rooty
    Community Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

I came here to point out that I've had problems too. I use multiple browsers and ... let's just say that if there's a hiccup, then you are screwed. A ridiculous "eye candy" update from Agilebits that resulted in a lot of wasted time this morning.

Edit to add that I don't run 1Password Mini in the menu bar.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ahattman,

I'm using 1Password 6.3.4 on my Mac and 4.6.1 browser extension for Safari, Chrome and Firefox.

Thanks! Those are the latest versions, so you should get the authorization prompt with the 6-digit code.

The browsers show the verification code but the Mac application does not request the verification code.

Do you happen to have Bartender installed on your Mac? We've heard from some customers who use Bartender and weren't getting the authorization prompt from 1Password mini. If you have Bartender installed, try clicking on the 1Password mini icon from the Bartender bar - do you see the code once you do that?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @NigelA10,

I'm very sorry to hear this has been causing such trouble for you! I noticed you posted about this in another thread. As Roustem mentioned in his reply, our developers have found & fixed a couple things that are causing crashes. But I don't know when the update with those fixes will be available, so I've been talking to our developers about how we can help you solve this in the meantime.

Are you using Bartender on your Mac? If so, please try this:

1. Temporarily move 1Password out of Bartender.
    2. Quit your browser(s).
    3. Open the main 1Password app and go to Help > Troubleshooting > Restart 1Password mini.
    4. Unlock 1Password.
    5. Open your browser - if you don't see the authorization prompt right away, click on the 1Password browser extension.
    6. If you see the prompt in your browser but not 1Password mini, click on the 1Password mini icon in the menubar.

If that doesn't help (or if you're not using Bartender), please try this:

1. Open the Font Book app (it should be in the Applications folder).
    2. Select All Fonts on the left, then scroll down to find Courier in the list of fonts.
    3. If Courier is disabled, select it and click the "Enable selected fonts" button at the top of the window.

If you needed to enable Courier, are you then able to complete the authentication of the 1Password browser extension?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @gayemacy,

I'm running Mac 10.12 (just released today) Sierra; Password 6.3.3, and the code didn't appear. I had to repopen Password twice to get the mini-password to open up, but now it's there.
    [...]
    What I meant was, no code came up.

The new browser extension authentication prompts aren't part of version 6.3.3. Once you install the update for version 6.3.4 (and if you also have version 4.6.1 of the 1Password browser extension installed), you should be prompted about the 6-digit code.

Sorry for the confusion about that! If you have any trouble once you install the update, please let us know. Thanks! :)

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @pbGuy,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post the details of your experience with this, and for your feedback!

When I viewed my 1PW Extension in Safari Extensions, it was version 4.5.9; and, the auto-update box in Safari Extensions was checked.
    [...]
    So taking a wild guess, I unchecked the auto update box and re-checked it (without closing any Safari windows or without restarting Safari), and immediately, the 1PW Extension updated to 4.6.1.

I actually had the exact same experience earlier today, before I read your message. Interestingly, I noticed that once I un-checked the "Automatically update extensions..." option in Safari's preferences, it immediately found the 4.6.1 update and gave me the option to install it. Instead, I re-checked that setting to see what would happen. It didn't seem like anything happened at that point, but it must have started downloading the update in the background, because a few moments later it showed that version 4.6.1 was installed, and I got the authentication prompt.

The process of updating extensions that were installed from the Safari Extension Gallery is handled entirely by Apple, so unfortunately that's out of our control. We submit the updated extension to Apple, but we don't have any control over what happens after that. But I suspect Safari would have updated it even if you and I hadn't turned that setting off and back on again. I suppose it's like they say: "A watched pot never boils." :lol:

Upon that completing, the 6-digit code box immediately appeared, from the 1PW Mini's Finder icon, and immediately a Safari tab opened showing a 6-digit code, which fortunately was the same as was showing from 1PW Mini's drop down window.

Good, I'm glad that worked as expected!

For those experiencing issues with this 6-digit code process, I must say the implementation of this process, is not as intuitive as it should be. ...There isn't even any updated, Support instructions dealing precisely with this 6-digit code procedure or even, what to do if the 1PW Extension is not auto-updating (as it should) in the Safari Extensions.

The instructions are built in to the pop-up message from 1Password mini:

I'm not quite sure what additional instructions you'd like to see, or what would make it more intuitive - but perhaps it would be helpful if we had a knowledgebase article that explains why you're seeing those prompts in the first place? I can certainly suggest that to our documentation team.

In your case, it sounds like the new browser extension authentication process worked correctly, and the only problem you ran into was that Safari took a bit longer than expected to install the latest update for the extension. As I mentioned above, that's not something we control, but my guess is that it would have updated anyway, even if we didn't turn the auto-update setting off and on. We just didn't see any visual indication in Safari to let us know it was downloading & installing the update, so we assumed something was wrong.

If you were confused by the new authentication, I apologize! Again, we really appreciate your feedback about that, and hopefully we'll be able to make it clearer in the future so others will have a better experience.

If you need anything else, please don't hesitate to let us know! :)

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Rooty,

I'm sorry if you ran into any trouble with the new browser extension authentication! We'll be more than happy to help you with that, but I'm not sure exactly what problem you're experiencing:

I came here to point out that I've had problems too. I use multiple browsers and ... let's just say that if there's a hiccup, then you are screwed. A ridiculous "eye candy" update from Agilebits that resulted in a lot of wasted time this morning.

Edit to add that I don't run 1Password Mini in the menu bar.

Can you please give us some details about what's happening on your end? Once we know what isn't working as expected for you, we'll have a much better idea of how to help you solve it. Thanks in advance! :)

• ahattman
    ahattman
    Community Member
    Options

Accessing 1Password via the menu bar displayed the verification code and solved my problem. Thx

• NigelA10
    NigelA10
    Community Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

Drew
    Thanks for the response but it has not helped
    I am not running bartender, and I enabled all duplicate versions of Courier that Fontbook had disabled - No different
    With the extension installed, as soon as Safari issues the code, 1PW mini crashes

What was working fine yesterday morning is now fairly user unfriendly
    When can we expect an update?

• gayemacy
    gayemacy
    Community Member
    Options

Please tell me how to stop receiving notifications on this string.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@gayemacy: Go to your profile and edit your notification preferences to uncheck any you don't want to receive. Just make sure you click Save at the bottom. :)

@ahattman: Thanks for letting us know. Glad to hear that worked for you! :chuffed:

@NigelA10: It sounds like the app may simply be damaged on your system. Please drag it to the Trash, restart your Mac, and then download a fresh copy from the AgileBits website.

If you're still having trouble, the best thing to do will be to restart your Mac, reproduce the same crash, and then generate a diagnostic report and send it to support+forums@agilebits.com so we can look at the logs to determine exactly what is happening:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Just be sure to include a link to this forum thread and your username in the email so we can 'connect the dots'. Also, knowing your timezone and the date/time of the incident will help us find it in the logs. Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• pbGuy
    pbGuy
    Community Member
    Options

Quote from Drew_AG's reply to me: " ... I'm not quite sure what additional instructions you'd like to see, or what would make it more intuitive ... "

It's very simple what I'm suggesting, but let me put my thought into some context. ...As software engineers develop a new product, or an update to a product, and become intimately familiar with the product's install or update process, it's very easy to overlook the fact that 1PW users, who have never seen 1PW's newest install or update process, have no idea what to expect when an update procedure begins, or how to correct if something goes awry when an update doesn't complete as it should. ...Hold that thought.

Ok, so 1PW update 6.3.4 comes out involving a new, sync method between 1PW Extension, which needed to be 4.6.1, and 1PW. Moreover, the update has a procedure involving a install process, from a 1PW user perspective, that is unusual (meaning, involving pop-up messages between 1PW Mini and Safari).

I offer if 1PW users had been prepped with an available, Update Support Guide (inclusive of a reminder 1PW Ext needed updating to 4.6.1), which could be referenced during the update install, and this Guide included step-by-step snapshots of what would take place, such a Guide would have prepared novice & experienced 1PW users about what was going to happen. Additionally, such a Guide should have provided precise steps to take if the 6-digit code procedure did not work as it should.

This Forum is now full of Threads about issues of various kinds 1PW users are experiencing, and that fact alone should make apparent to Agile Bits some sort of a Guide would have assisted greatly with this particular Update. While there will always be issues for some users, an available Update Support Guide would have enabled 1PW users to be more self-sufficient in completing the Update or more importantly, know what steps to take if the Update did not complete as it should.

• gayemacy
    gayemacy
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Brenty! Thanks - Will that also disable receiving message when one of you sends an answer? I'd like to receive answers from you, just not general comments from everyone continuing on once I feel my question's been answered by you...

• NigelA10
    NigelA10
    Community Member
    Options

I have succeeded in getting 1PW, 1PW mini and Safari Extension to function as it always did before
    So I have macOS 10.12, 1PW 6.3.4, Extension 4.6.1
    I resolved my crash issue by deleting a duplicate version of Courier from my mac
    I deleted courier from user/library/fonts so that I now only have one version which is in system/library/fonts
    (TrueType font version Version 11.0d2e1)
    Disabling or enabling the duplicate did not work, I had to remove it

• sarath
    sarath
    Community Member
    Options

I am interested to know how does this improve security. Is this something built to prevent remote hacking? @Drew_AG

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

@sarath you may find this AgileBits' post helpful.

Stephen

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@pbGuy, thanks for the feedback! I think you'll be happy to know that we now have a knowledgebase article about this on our support site: If you see "1Password requires authorization" in your browser

We also just released an update for the main 1Password app (version 6.3.5) that should fix the problems we've heard about this. Plus, the message from 1Password with the 6-digit code will now include a link to the above knowledgebase article. :)

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2016
    Options

Hi @gayemacy,

Will that also disable receiving message when one of you sends an answer? I'd like to receive answers from you, just not general comments from everyone continuing on once I feel my question's been answered by you...

Your notification settings apply to messages posted by anyone. So if you disable "Notify me when people comment on my discussions", that applies to comments made by all users, including AgileBits team members. However, if "Notify me when people mention me" is enabled, you'll still be notified when we @-mention your username in a comment (like I did at the top of this post). We try to do that whenever we reply to a customer.

I hope that helps! :)

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @NigelA10,

That's great news, I'm so glad you were able to get things working! Thank you for letting us know what you needed to do in order to solve the problem.

Hopefully you're all set now, but if you need anything else, we're here for you. :)

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @sarath,

I hope the link Stephen sent you helped to answer your questions about this. If you have more questions or need anything else, don't hesitate to let us know. We're always happy to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.