Creating new passwords on a website?

I frequently advocate to my friends and family that they use 1Password. However, in instructing them on how to use it, I find there's one process for which I don't have a satisfactory solution. Suppose while using my laptop I must create a new password from scratch for a site. I open the 1Password app, and hit the + button to create a new login. I populate the entry, including having 1Password create a random password. I save the new entry in 1Password, and copy the password from the saved entry. I paste it into the page. Once the browser has accepted the login credentials, the 1Password browser extension offers to save the credentials. It makes sense to do that, since 1Password will also save the URL. However, at this point I have two entries in 1Password for the site. I sometimes go back and delete the first one.

This seems awkward. Is there a more straightforward process I can recommend to people who are considering switching over to 1Password? One thing I like about this process is that it ensures that the password is saved somewhere in case the 1Password extension fails to recognize that I've entered new credentials. So I'd like a process that is similarly safe.

1Password Version: 6.3.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.11.6
Sync Type: DropBox
Referrer: forum-search:new account

Comments

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni

Hi, @pnklein. Thanks for your post. I'm sorry for the awkward experience. Let's see if we can smooth that out a bit.

As you've found, there are two ways to create a Login—in the main app and in the browser. When saving in the main application, it sounds like perhaps you were not setting the URL in the Login. The reason I say that is because when autosave is triggered from the browser extension, it looks for a Login for that site that has the same password and if it finds one, it does not offer to save. In the past, we recommended creating the Login in the browser, but for most sites and especially simple sites with a single password field on the sign in page, saving in the main app is equally valid. Just be sure to give the Login a URL that points to the sign in page.

I hope that helps. Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits

This discussion has been closed.