Restore sync between iOS and Mac

andr8w
andr8w
Community Member

Hi. A long time ago I setup 1Password to sync using Dropbox between my Macs, iPhone and iPad. I noticed some discrepancies in the data on my Mac and iPhone recently, and realized that at some point, somehow, 1Password on the Macs stopped syncing using Dropbox. "Sync Primary vault with" is set to None in Preferences.

Now I don't know which devices have the correct data.

Right now, 1Password is syncing – from iOS I presume – into a folder I created inside the Dropbox folder. It contains the "1Password.agilekeychain" file. When I tried to enable syncing 1Password on the Mac using Dropbox, I'm asked to choose the Dropbox folder. After choosing the Dropbox folder, the file path shows "/Users//Dropbox/Apps/1Password/1Password.opvault". I don't have this file at this path, so I'm assuming 1Password from iOS is currently syncing into the 1Password.agilekeychain file. A message on the drop down sheet appears saying that "1Password will create a copy of your vault in Dropbox. It should become available on other devices in a few minutes". I cancelled out of this sheet.

I don't understand what will happen to the old 1Password.agilekeychain file. Which data will overwrite which data? I am hesitant to turn on syncing on the Mac so as not to overwrite updates I entered on the Mac with old data from iOS or vice-versa.

– What is the correct method to have the existing data from my Macs and iPhone/iPad merged?

– Will the divergent items be merged automatically into 1 item or will there be 2 copies?

Thank you.

1Password Version: 6.3.5 (635001) Mac App Store
Extension Version: 4.6.1
OS Version: 10.12.1
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @andr8w,

I'm sorry you're having some trouble syncing your 1Password data via Dropbox! We'll help you get things back to normal.

Basically, the solution is to re-enable Dropbox in the sync settings of 1Password and choose the same sync file as your other devices. It sounds like you found a sync file named 1Password.agilekeychain in your Dropbox folder, which is likely the one your other devices are syncing with, but you should check that by following these steps:

On each Mac:

• Open 1Password and go to 1Password > Preferences in the menubar.
    • Click the Sync tab.
    • If Dropbox is selected in the sync preferences, check the file name and file path for the sync file in Dropbox.

On each iOS device:

• Open 1Password and go to Settings > Sync > Primary.
    • If the Sync Service is set to Dropbox, tap "Sync Service" and check the file name and file path for the sync file in Dropbox (underneath Current Sync Method / Dropbox).

On the devices where sync is disabled (i.e. set to "None"), you'll need to select Dropbox in the sync settings and then choose the same sync file as the other devices. You tried to do that on your Mac, but here's where you ran into a problem:

When I tried to enable syncing 1Password on the Mac using Dropbox, I'm asked to choose the Dropbox folder. After choosing the Dropbox folder, the file path shows "/Users//Dropbox/Apps/1Password/1Password.opvault".

It sounds like you chose your Dropbox folder in general, instead of selecting a specific sync file within Dropbox. Therefore, 1Password tried to create a brand new sync file. That's not necessarily a problem, because you could then have also updated the sync settings on the other devices to point to that new file. But it's easier to just choose the existing sync file that is already syncing with some of your devices.

I don't understand what will happen to the old 1Password.agilekeychain file. Which data will overwrite which data?

Once you enable Dropbox and select the 1Password.agilekeychain sync file, you'll see a message about merging your data. That just means it will compare the local 1Password data with the 1Password data in Dropbox, and update both accordingly. In other words, changes you've made on the Mac will sync to Dropbox (and to your other devices), and changes you've made in Dropbox (via other devices) will sync to the Mac. It essentially does what you normally expect it to do during a sync.

I hope this helps to answer your other questions as well. But if you have more questions or run into any problems, just let us know and we'll continue from there. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.