Use Google Drive to sync

Options
BananaPhone
BananaPhone
Community Member

Hello,
I would like to use Google Drive instead of Dropbox but 1Password doesn't support it yet.
I noticed that there is a sync method that lets me use any folder to store my 1Password file in. So lets assume that this folder is put inside of Google Drive, is it possible to get 1Password on Windows, macOS, iOS and Android to sync with that particular folder or is that feature that only works for Windows and macOS?
If it's possible, please let me know how as I've checked the settings on my phone and iPad and I couldn't find something appropriate.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• BananaPhone
    BananaPhone
    Community Member
    Options

bump :(

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @BananaPhone,

Thanks for writing in with your question! Before I get to the answer, I wanted to explain that we generally reply to the oldest threads in the list first and work toward the newest. When a new comment is added to a discussion, the timestamp on the thread is updated and it gets bumped up to the top of the list (i.e. "the newest"). So your "bump" post had the unfortunate side-effect of moving you further down the line.

Now, as far as your question about syncing via Google Drive: I noticed you asked us about that in another discussion last year. I see that Jacob replied to you back then, and I'm afraid the answer is still the same: You can use the Folder sync option in 1Password for Mac to sync your data via Google Drive, but that will only work on Mac and Windows. However, if you'd like to use that option between your Mac/Windows computers, you can also use the WLAN Server option to sync between one of those computers and your iOS and/or Android devices: How to use the WLAN server

I know that's not the answer you were hoping to hear, and I'm sorry it's the same answer as the last time you asked us about that. But if you have more questions about that, please don't hesitate to let us know. Cheers! :)

• fhsieh
    fhsieh
    Community Member
    Options

When can 1Password work with Google Drive?

• BananaPhone
    BananaPhone
    Community Member
    Options

I'm seriously starting to consider LastPass. Not being able to sync with Google Drive is so annoying :S

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @fhsieh,

When can 1Password work with Google Drive?

I'm not sure if you saw my previous reply above, but the Mac and Windows versions of 1Password can already be configured to sync via Google Drive.

Is your question about using Google Drive to sync 1Password data with an iOS or Android device? I'm afraid I don't know for sure whether or not we'll ever add support for Google Drive to the iOS or Android version of 1Password, but I can certainly let our developers know you'd be interested in that.

For more information about the sync options that will currently work with 1Password for iOS and Android, please take a look at this knowledgebase article: Sync your 1Password data

If you need help setting up one of those sync options, please let us know! :)

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @BananaPhone,

I'm sorry to hear the lack of Google Drive support is so annoying for you! I completely understand why that would be helpful for you, and I wish I had a better answer about that. We receive a fair amount of requests from customers to add support for various different cloud sync services, and our developers have certainly explored options. However, at this time I don't know if/when more sync options will be added, or which service(s) will be supported. Not only is it more complicated than it might seem, but our developers have also been focussing on our own sync service (i.e. 1Password.com accounts) which has been a huge project for some time now. That doesn't necessarily mean we'll never add support for other cloud services, but it doesn't necessarily mean we will, either.

By the way, I moved your post about WLAN Server in the Android version to our Android forum so you can get more help there: Cannot find WLAN setting on Android phone

Cheers! :)

• fhsieh
    fhsieh
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, we need syncing across all platforms: OSX, Win, iOS, Android, ChromeOS, etc. Our folks use pretty much everything under the sun.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for clarifying, @fhsieh! As I mentioned above, I can let our developers know you'd like to use Google Drive to sync 1Password on iOS and Android.

For now, the best & easiest way to sync your 1Password data across Mac, Windows, iOS, and Android is with a 1Password.com account. There aren't any sync settings to configure, because all you would need to do is sign into your account in the 1Password app. And a 1Password.com account also gives you web access to your data, which means you can access it from a web browser on ChromeOS (or other platforms that don't have the 1Password app).

If you don't want to sign up for an account, you can [use Dropbox to sync your data](How to sync 1Password with Dropbox), since that also supports the Mac, Windows, iOS, and Android versions of 1Password.

Thank you again for letting us know you'd like to use Google Drive! We're here for you if you need anything else. :)

This discussion has been closed.