1Password browser extension stops working after a while on Mac

Options

I have a Macbook Pro running 10.10.5 with Firefox 49.0.2 and 1Password 6.3.5 extension 4.6.2
Recently, I have been having the issue that after some time using Firefox the browser extension will not launch when I press the 1Password button on the browser bar. 1Password mini is running fine and if I reinstall the browser extension from there it all starts working again for a while, restarting Firefox also gets it working again for a while.

I have a few other Firefox extensions running, but had these installed for some time before this issue started.

Any ideas what I can do to fix this?

1Password Version: 6.3.5
Extension Version: 4.6.2
OS Version: OSX 10.10.5
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@molove: I think you may be seeing something similar to what I do from time to time when Firefox purges unused things from memory. Does this happen only when Firefox has been running for a while, not ever when you've recently opened it? I suspect that's the case, both based on your description and my own experience. I'm not certain that there's much we can do about the way that Firefox does this to try to free up resources, but it's something we'll certainly continue to look into. Let me know what you find!

• molove
    molove
    Community Member
    Options

Yes it could be that, I do often leave my laptop on for days with Firefox running.

I repaired all my permissions just after posting, and things seem to be working ok at the moment, so it might have been that, I shall continue to monitor.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@molove: Thanks! Please keep us posted! I've been led to believe that Firefox 50 improves efficiency, so maybe that will help with this as well. Fingers crossed!

• molove
    molove
    Community Member
    Options

I may have spoken too soon, it happened again though I did discover disabling and re-enabling the 1password extension made it start working again

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @molove,

By any chance do you see this behaviour after the Mac has been asleep and you've awakened it? If so do you have any anti-virus software running on this Mac?

• molove
    molove
    Community Member
    Options

I do put the mac to sleep and wake it up with Firefox still running, but I haven't noticed that causing the extension to stop. It seems much more random that that. I don't have a virus killer running in the background all the time, I tend to just use an on demand scanner.

My iMac doesn't appear to have this issue, and plugins are sync'ed between firefox running on different computers.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@molove: Interesting. Thanks for confirming! Please let us know if you're able to correlate anything with when it stops working on your MacBook Pro — especially if it releases to something you don't have on your iMac. That may help us track down the issue.

• molove
    molove
    Community Member
    Options

I've still been getting this behaviour. So I decided to reset Firefox and re-add all of my extensions. Now I am regularly gettting the Authorisation code page and the page that says "Looking for the 1Password app, The 1Password app must be installed for the extension to work properly."
    I think next move would like to completely uninstall 1Password, and re-install it. Will AppCleaner remove all the necessary files to do this?

• matthew_ag
    matthew_ag
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @molove,

Sorry for the new trouble you're experiencing. Please do not use AppCleaner. AppCleaner is known to remove not only application files but also your 1Password data and backups. We have a guide on our website that describes how to uninstall 1Password safely and calls out any steps that would cause your data to be removed. I would highly recommend that approach instead of AppCleaner.

May I ask to reset Firefox did you use Firefox's "Refresh Firefox" button (see screenshot below) or another method of resetting Firefox?

Best regards,
    Matthew

• molove
    molove
    Community Member
    Options

I did use AppCleaner in the end, I checked it wasn't going to remove my data files before hitting the delete button. 1Password reinstalled with no problem, including the Firefox browser extension.

To reset Firefox, I signed out of my account, then used the Refresh button above, then signed back into my account so that all my extensions and settings were reinstalled. I figure it's not any of the extensions causing a conflict because everything works perfectly on my iMac which is exactly the same configuration.

I shall just have to wait and see if reinstalling 1Pasword has done the trick.

• matthew_ag
    matthew_ag
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey again @molove,

I'm glad you didn't lose anything in the clean-up process. Just to others reading this forum, I wouldn't recommend anyone to use this approach given the risk of losing the 1Password data accidentally. Of course, it is your data to do with what you wish and my advice is only a recommendation.

Do let us know if you're still seeing the problem @molove and we'll try to help further.

Best regards,
    Matthew

• molove
    molove
    Community Member
    Options

I meant to post earlier. Completely deleting 1Password (except for the data) and reinstalling it sorted out all my problems, it's been running perfectly ever since.

This discussion has been closed.