Automatic filling not available in Android for XenForo 2.0 alpha demo

Martok
Martok
Community Member

XenForo have today gone live with their XenForo 2.0 alpha demo:

https://xf2demo.xenforo.com/

On Android, when I try to log in using 1Password, it says that automatic filling is not available. When I go to manually fill, initially it shows "No logins found for com.android.chrome". I then have to search for my login and then use the fill username and fill password buttons.

The issue seems to occur with their login pop-up box on the main page. If I go to the separate login page which is at https://xf2demo.xenforo.com/login/ then everything is fine and automatic filling is available.

Is this an issue with 1Password, or with the XenForo 2 alpha demo? If it is 1Password, then can this be addressed? If it is an issue with XenForo 2 alpha demo then if you can provide the information required to fix this then I can pass it on to the developers who I'm sure would be happy to implement.

1Password Version: 6.5.BETA-4 (and presumably 6.4.4)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 5.1.1 and 6.01
Sync Type: 1Password for Families

Comments

• Martok
    Martok
    Community Member

I don't normally bump my own threads but as this one was stuck in the spam filter for a day, I thought I'd nudge it in case it got missed. :)

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni

Hi, @Martok. I hope you don't mind but I've moved your thread into the Android forum. It uses a different mechanism for interacting with web pages and apps, so I wanted to make sure the right people see it and get you an answer as quickly as possible.

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits

• Martok
    Martok
    Community Member

@jxpx777 that's fine. I wasn't sure whether to put it in Android or browsers as technically it's both (just as I'd be unsure if the situation occurred on my Mac whether to post in Mac or browsers).

Anyway thanks for moving it and hopefully I'll get some answers soon. :)

• Hey @Martok. Automatic filling isn't available when 1Password isn't able to detect and match a URL, and when it doesn't detect login fields. When you click on the Login and the login box opens up, 1Password isn't able to detect and match on this site, which is why you're seeing "No logins found for com.android.chrome" rather than "xenforo.com" and why you need to manually fill.

I recommend signing in from the direct login link for now. Let us know if you have more questions!

• Martok
    Martok
    Community Member
    edited November 2016

@peri so which isn't it able to detect, the URL or the login fields? It's important to know which and why so I can feed back to the developers who may make changes.

I'm also puzzled by this because if you look at my site, which is on the current version of XenForo, this has a similar login box and 1Password can detect and automatically fill.

http://www.seniorgamers.net

As I said, it's important to get to the bottom of this, especially when the developers have recommended recently that members should use strong passwords and password managers such as 1Password. Eventually the final version of XenForo 2.0 will be installed on thousands of websites and used by a huge number of users, some of whom will use 1Password. I'm sure the developers will want things to work correctly with the floating login box so that 1Password can auto fill it.

• Martok
    Martok
    Community Member

Just an additional note, I've just tested this in the 1Password browser and it works fine, auto fill with the floating login box works. The problem is with Chrome for Android and 1Password logging into the XenForo 2 alpha site.

• Thanks for getting back to me @Martok. I've asked one of our developers to look into this and it looks like automatic filling isn't supported here because there are no login fields on the main page. We only detect the fields when we receive an accessibility event, such as loading a new page. It looks like on your site, the page refresh triggers an accessibility event, but this isn't happening for https://xf2demo.xenforo.com/. Unfortunately, there's nothing much we can do on our end as we don't have access to the page source through Chrome.

• Martok
    Martok
    Community Member

@peri thanks for this. I'll pass on the information to the developers to see what they say. :)

• Any time. :) Let us know if you need anything else!

• Martok
    Martok
    Community Member

Further developments on this issue.

I tried logging into the XenForo 2.0 alpha demo site again and this time it worked. I responded on the site to say that the issue appeared to have been fixed. The developers responded to say that they hadn't changed anything since I first reported this, so there must have been changed with 1Password that have improved automatic login filling.

Further tests show that the issue isn't completely resolved. Whilst I don't have an issue when using my Samsung Galaxy S7 phone (running Android 7.0), I do when using my Sony Xperia Z3 Compact Tablet (running Android 6.0.1). Most of the time it just auto fills the username field with the username. Occasionally it has auto filled the username field with the password. Very occasionally it has worked and auto filled both fields correctly.

Both devices are running 6.5.3.BETA-1.

I'd be grateful if you would take another look at this.

• Hi @Martok. :) We're actually working on our filling implementation at the moment. We're hoping to take advantage of Android's new autofill features in Android O, which will hopefully help with filling on this site.

I'll let you know when we have news on that front!

• Martok
    Martok
    Community Member

What about those devices that won't get an update to Android O? The Xperia Z3 Compact tablet isn't getting an Android 7 update so it certainly won't get one for Android O. Therefore the problem will remain on older devices.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Martok: Unfortunately it won't be possible to use the new OpenYOLO features without Google's latest OS. As far as I know they haven't announced any plans to backport this to older versions, so I doubt it will be available there. You won't lose any existing functionality, but you would need to update/upgrade to get the newest stuff.

• Martok
    Martok
    Community Member

@brenty I'm aware that an upgrade would be required. The issue isn't that I want access to the new OpenYOLO features on older devices, I'm simply asking the 1Password team to have another look at the login form for XenForo 2.0. As I stated previously, the original issue has improved and this was due to changes made in 1Password (as the developers haven't changed anything). So another look by the team may determine if there's any further improvements that could be made to allow the login to work correctly (or if there really is an issue with XenForo 2.0, what their team would need to do to allow things to work correctly). Incidentally they say there's no problems with LastPass logging in on Android.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Martok: Ah, I'm sorry for misunderstanding. Thanks for clarifying! We simply haven't made changes to 1Password for Android's filling mechanisms. As Peri mentioned earlier, 1Password uses Android's accessibility frameworks for filling, and there isn't a login form for it to interact there when invoked:

automatic filling isn't supported here because there are no login fields on the main page. We only detect the fields when we receive an accessibility event, such as loading a new page. It looks like on your site, the page refresh triggers an accessibility event, but this isn't happening for https://xf2demo.xenforo.com/.

This just isn't something we can change for a specific site. We'd have to do a completely different filling implementation...which I guess is what we're doing with OpenYOLO, but of course that doesn't help you if you're stuck on an old OS. Sorry I don't have better news for you. :(

• Martok
    Martok
    Community Member

@brenty thanks for your response but it's strange that the developers say they have made no changes since I reported the issue yet now I am able to get some login functionality with 1Password on Android. 1Password now recognises that there is a login field and it will autofill both fields on occasions as I described but mostly just one field. Previously it didn't recognise that there were any and gave the "No logins found for com.android.chrome". It doesn't do that anymore. The only thing that has changed is 1Password, which has updated since I posted the original message (I am using the latest beta version). This suggests that 1Password has made improvements to login detections, which is why I'm suggesting a further look by the 1Password team as, if they have improved things from before, they may be able to do something further.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Martok: I agree that it's strange, but I didn't want to comment on that. Frankly, I'd be glad for us to take credit for it, but that would be disingenuous. :lol:

However, there's a third possibility: that Google made some improvements to the accessibility frameworks, or to Chrome. That's just a hunch, as I don't follow Google's development religiously, but if 1Password didn't change and the website didn't do it, then it's got to be something else. We may never know. :eh:

• tsalonia
    tsalonia
    Community Member

I have a very similar issue to this one. I have been experimenting with different browsers on Android, namely Brave and Firefox Focus, which are security and privacy focused browsers. However, when I try to login to Facebook, 1Password does not seem to detect the login page on these two browsers, but it DOES on Chrome for Android. I receive the "No Passwords Found" error on the Brave and Focus browsers. Is there something specific in these two browsers preventing the detection of the logon page?

• Hi @tsalonia. I see you've opened another thread on the issue, and I've responded there.

This discussion has been closed.