Help! Unable to recover my 1Password data despite backups!

Options
JPShanghai
JPShanghai
Community Member

I purchased 1Password for Mac via the Mac App store more than a year ago and less than three. I later added iPhone, iPad and more recently, Windows access. Everything was working just fine. But now I do not have access to the iPhone, iPad and Windows device, and just had a hard drive crash on the Mac. I replaced the drive, reinstalled 1Password from the App store, but in addition to my user email and master password (which I have) it is asking me for the account key and the Sign-in Address (which I don't have).

I went to the website to try to log in. It's also asking me for my account key (but not the sign in address).

I have backed up my 1Password database in iCloud and I have a windows backup that ends in .agilekeychain_zip.

What do I do?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• JPShanghai
    JPShanghai
    Community Member
    Options

Ok. I find I have a license key for 1Password for Windows. I tried to enter that but it told me words to the effect that " it looks like this is a license key not an account key". Do I need a different version of 1Password?

• JPShanghai
    JPShanghai
    Community Member
    Options

OK. Crisis averted but I still have a serious question for future use:

I have an extensive set of backups and went and got the old copy of 1Password for Mac from one of them. I deleted the new one and put the old one in its place (thank god for easy mac installations). I opened that one and then was able to get my data from iCloud. So - good news!

But here's my serious question: Why couldn't I download the new one and have that work? It seems there are accounts now rather than individual licenses? And that makes it so I can't open my old stuff?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @JPShanghai,

I apologize for the delayed response here! And I'm also sorry you had such trouble getting 1Password set up after replacing the drive on your Mac (but glad you figured out a way to do that which worked for you). I see that you also emailed us for help with this and heard back from someone, but I'd like to elaborate a bit on what caused the confusion, in case you're curious:

From your description, it sounds like you chose the option to sign into an account. A 1Password.com account is a subscription service that we started offering this year. If you haven't signed up for an account on 1Password.com, you would just need to go back and choose a different option from the "welcome screen" in the 1Password app on your Mac (for example, to sync your data from iCloud, you would choose the "Find your data" option).

If you had been using 1Password without an account, you likely purchased a license for the Mac version (and Windows version) of the 1Password app. 1Password 6 for Mac works with either an account or a license (or both), so if you're still using the older version you found in your backups, you can install the update for the latest version (currently 6.5.1) and it will work just fine with your data. If you're curious about the difference between a 1Password account and a 1Password license, we explain more about that here: The difference between a 1Password subscription and a standalone license

Sorry for any confusion about that! Hopefully you're all set now, but if you have more questions about any of that or need anything else, please don't hesitate to let us know. Cheers! :)

ref: MMK-18469-839

This discussion has been closed.