To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

What documents are required for the government to have access to my passwords?

nicholsr
nicholsr
Community Member

I understand that a government agency may gain access to my password with court orders. Does 1Password have access to comply with court orders?

1Password Version: 6.5.2
Extension Version: 4.6.2
OS Version: OSX.12.1
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:What documents are required for the government to have access to my passwords?

Comments

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

AgileBits does not have your master password (nor account key for 1Password.com), so I don't think they can?

• jpgoldberg
    jpgoldberg
    1Password Alumni

Excellent question @nicholsr!

We have designed 1Password so that the data that we hold is useless to anyone other than you. So sure we could comply with an order to turn over data that we hold, but that wouldn't do the recipient of that data much good.

I should note that the same design principles that defend you against a criminal attack on our servers or even an insider attack from someone at AgileBits, also defends you if that attacker wears a suit and comes with as court order.

Although we do what we can to prevent an attacker from acquiring your encrypted data, we have to adopt a security design that assumes that in some cases the encrypted data will be acquired by someone not authorized by the user. This is why the 1Password data we hold is protected by your Master Password and your Account Key, neither of which we are capable of learning.

Cheers,

-j

Chief Defender Against the Dark Arts

This discussion has been closed.