How to create folders, and the 1,000 other things that have no clear explanation anywhere.

Scrabble_THEMOVIE
Scrabble_THEMOVIE
Community Member

I'm very technically proficient, and I have to say, I find myself getting lost regarding 1Pass over and over: what the features are, how it's supposed to work, etc. I mean, just for one example: nowhere in the apps or settings does it describe whether 1Password is supposed to automatically fill information when you visit a website on your Mac or iPhone, or whether users are forced to copy/paste password from the app. I had to dig through the internet to get some kind of understanding. ALso was not made aware in any way that the app for iOS and iOSX are different—even though I use them seamlessly. I purchased the $2.99/month billed annually subscription. How do you not tell people that iPassword needs to be purchased separately for iOS and for Mac? It's mind-boggling. I don't even know HOW to purchase it for iOS since it's free to use?

The support.1password.com guides are also extremely misleading or incomplete. In the case of the current situation that I'm lost about, I'm trying to figure out how to create folders and move logins around. In the "Folders" guide on the support site, the first misleading instruction: click the "File" dropdown, and select "New Folder." Of course this is not an option when I tried, and there is no clarification from you WHY the option may not be there. The instructions for iOS indicate to go to settings > organize > edit > add folder. Yup, no add folder option, and no indication why that might be. I read something about a primary vault vs. the personal vault I'm using, but that's just another thing I have no clue about and there is no clear indication anywhere. Should I be using a personal or a primary vault? What would be the purpose of using two of them? When I switch to the primary vault, none of my saved personal vault information carries over, and neither do the folders I just created. Do I need to manually re-enter all of my saved info. into my primary vault now?

Meanwhile, do I need "pro features"? Because I saw THAT mentioned, and there is no way to tell if I HAVE the pro feature already. Again, the support guide does not provide proper instructions for this either. It says, How do I get the Pro Features? "The best way to unlock the pro features is to sign into your 1Password account." That's it. Nothing explaining what you do once you login to the account. Right, and THEN what? I signed into my account, and all that's available is "Your Vaults." And, for some reason, the Primary vault I just created is not listed here. Only the personal one. It's literally like every step I take to figure something out ends up revealing 5 other things I can't figure out. Someone from 1Password answered in one of these forums that 1Password for families is the recommended version because it includes pro features. Ummm, well, since I don't have a family, how would I ever have decided to pick that version? How can I tell if I HAVE the pro features already?

Also, is there a way to move login information from one category to another. Ex: I have all my email accounts in the "login" category, and want to move them to "email account" category. Do I have to recreate them all? Meanwhile, when adding an email account, none of the fields have explanations what they are, and have all sorts of advanced descriptions (port number? auth method? security? SMTP server?). How is a laymen supposed to figure out how to add an email account that will bring them to the site after double clicking? You really need to have a more comprehensive help site, and you need those little question mark icons that explain what something means, placed... everywhere!

I legitimately have not been this confused by any software, and this software/what you do with it ultimately not complex at all—it simply just stores information for you across multiple devices seamlessly. I don't know if the problem is that the app itself does not provide the user with any explanatory information, that the support.1password.com is misleading and not comprehensive enough at all, or that the agilebits boards contain information that is no longer accurate after an update renders them obsolete, or a combination of all three.

Lol... Perfect example: I'm finishing this comment and trying to enter the Additional Information below, and clicked the "How to find extension version?" link, and the instructions for Chrome indicate to click on the three-parallel-bar menu icon in the toolbar. Chrome replaced that icon over 7 months ago. It now has three dots in a vertical line. 7 months.

1Password Version: 6.5.2
Extension Version: 4.6.2.90
OS Version: macOS 10.12.2 and iOS 10.2
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Scrabble_THEMOVIE: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for all the confusion!

I mean, just for one example: nowhere in the apps or settings does it describe whether 1Password is supposed to automatically fill information when you visit a website on your Mac or iPhone, or whether users are forced to copy/paste password from the app. I had to dig through the internet to get some kind of understanding.

Ultimately it depends on the website, as they are often so different. So if you're having trouble with one in particular, just let us know the URL and we'll be happy to help in any way we can.

ALso was not made aware in any way that the app for iOS and iOSX are different—even though I use them seamlessly.

iOS and macOS themselves are very different in some fundamental ways, and I'm not sure we're in a position to have 1Password try to explain all of that to the user — or that it would be appropriate and not annoying.

I purchased the $2.99/month billed annually subscription. How do you not tell people that iPassword needs to be purchased separately for iOS and for Mac? It's mind-boggling. I don't even know HOW to purchase it for iOS since it's free to use?

More importantly, while the apps work differently on different devices (e.g. touch, mouse/keyboard, etc.), with a 1Password.com subscription, you get all of them. So there's no need for you to purchase anything else, since it's included in your subscription. That's why you're not able to find information about purchasing it. Otherwise, there's an in-app purchase in 1Password Settings > Pro Features.

The support.1password.com guides are also extremely misleading or incomplete. In the case of the current situation that I'm lost about, I'm trying to figure out how to create folders and move logins around. In the "Folders" guide on the support site, the first misleading instruction: click the "File" dropdown, and select "New Folder." Of course this is not an option when I tried, and there is no clarification from you WHY the option may not be there.

It sounds like you're trying to apply the 1Password for Mac user guide to the 1Password.com website. It just isn't possible (or appropriate) for a website to have all of these menus like a Mac app has, and it would be confusing: after all, you're using this within a browser that has menus of its own! More to the point, 1Password.com does not support folders. But you can add tags to items by editing them:

The instructions for iOS indicate to go to settings > organize > edit > add folder. Yup, no add folder option, and no indication why that might be.

Correct. You can add tags to items by editing them though.

I read something about a primary vault vs. the personal vault I'm using, but that's just another thing I have no clue about and there is no clear indication anywhere. Should I be using a personal or a primary vault? What would be the purpose of using two of them? When I switch to the primary vault, none of my saved personal vault information carries over, and neither do the folders I just created. Do I need to manually re-enter all of my saved info. into my primary vault now?

If you're using the 1Password.com subscription service, you'll have a Personal vault with that. A Primary vault is local only, so it wouldn't be connected to your account. If you created a Primary vault previously for some reason, you can move your data from there to your Personal vault:

1. Select the Primary vault using the vault menu in the upper left
    2. Make sure you're viewing All Items, then pull the screen down
    3. Tap Select Items
    4. Tap the circle to the left of Move to select all
    5. Tap Move and select your Personal vault as the destination

Meanwhile, do I need "pro features"? Because I saw THAT mentioned, and there is no way to tell if I HAVE the pro feature already. Again, the support guide does not provide proper instructions for this either. It says, How do I get the Pro Features? "The best way to unlock the pro features is to sign into your 1Password account." That's it. Nothing explaining what you do once you login to the account. Right, and THEN what?

Right. That's it. You have the Pro Features included in your subscription, and logging into your account unlocked it. There is no step 2.

I signed into my account, and all that's available is "Your Vaults." And, for some reason, the Primary vault I just created is not listed here. Only the personal one. It's literally like every step I take to figure something out ends up revealing 5 other things I can't figure out. Someone from 1Password answered in one of these forums that 1Password for families is the recommended version because it includes pro features. Ummm, well, since I don't have a family, how would I ever have decided to pick that version? How can I tell if I HAVE the pro features already?

If you have the Organize tab along the bottom in the middle when you're in 1Password for iOS, you have the Pro Features.

Also, is there a way to move login information from one category to another. Ex: I have all my email accounts in the "login" category, and want to move them to "email account" category. Do I have to recreate them all?

There is no way to change categories, but you really probably don't want to change Logins to Email Accounts. Only Login can be used to, well...login to websites using the 1Password extension, so those are much better unless you're just storing the information for reference.

Meanwhile, when adding an email account, none of the fields have explanations what they are, and have all sorts of advanced descriptions (port number? auth method? security? SMTP server?). How is a laymen supposed to figure out how to add an email account that will bring them to the site after double clicking? You really need to have a more comprehensive help site, and you need those little question mark icons that explain what something means, placed... everywhere!

This is the sort of thing where if you need it you'll know what it is. For example I couldn't tell you the first thing about most of the fields in a Database item. But folks who regularly interact with databases seem to love them. I don't think it's appropriate (or a good use of space) for 1Password to try to explain all of this to either of us, but the internet is a wonderful resource for learning all manner of things I have no Earthly use for (thanks, Wikipedia!) :lol:

I legitimately have not been this confused by any software, and this software/what you do with it ultimately not complex at all—it simply just stores information for you across multiple devices seamlessly. I don't know if the problem is that the app itself does not provide the user with any explanatory information, that the support.1password.com is misleading and not comprehensive enough at all, or that the agilebits boards contain information that is no longer accurate after an update renders them obsolete, or a combination of all three.

Certainly things change over time. For example, you're using a brand new version of macOS that we didn't have a few short months ago! Please let me know the articles that you found "misleading" or otherwise inadequate and how you think we should improve them!

Lol... Perfect example: I'm finishing this comment and trying to enter the Additional Information below, and clicked the "How to find extension version?" link, and the instructions for Chrome indicate to click on the three-parallel-bar menu icon in the toolbar. Chrome replaced that icon over 7 months ago. It now has three dots in a vertical line. 7 months.

Ah, you mean, ? That is a great example. I'm sorry for any confusion that might have caused. I guess we've been focused more on improving 1Password than tweaking the forum scripts. We'll get that updated! Be sure to let us know if there's anything else we can help with. :)

This discussion has been closed.