Sync Android vault with new version on Mac

Hey guys,

I was having trouble syncing my Android phone to the Mac via Wifi-Sync. To fiy this I then reinstalled the 1Password version on my Mac, keeping all my password on my phone, but now I am not able to sync it back to my Mac. I tried to export the vault on my Android and import on Mac, which wasn't working. I also registered an 1Password online account but was not able to tell my phone to sync my vault with this account.

I just want my passwords back on my Mac. Could you please help me?

1Password Version: 6.5.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.12.1
Sync Type: Wifi
Referrer: forum-search:vault export android

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Hi @marvin_antoinette,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us. I'm sorry you're having some trouble.

I moved your post to the Android category, so our Android experts can better assist you. It looks like you are running the latest version of 1Password on your Mac. Can you let me know the specific version of 1Password you are using on Android?

And just to be 100% clear:

• Do you have all of your data in 1Password on your Android phone?
    • Do you also have it on your Mac, and they just aren't syncing? Or is the data only on one or the other?
  • marvin_antoinette
    marvin_antoinette
    Community Member

Thanks khad.
    Right now I only have all the data on my Android phone. I deinstalled 1password on my Mac while trying to fix the Wi-Fi sync problem and lost the data on it.

I hope you can help. Thank you very much.

• Hi @marvin_antoinette. Thanks for the update. Before you do anything else, export your 1Password for Android data so you have a backup. To do so, launch 1Password and tap Settings > Advanced > Export Primary Vault. This will create a .opvault in your device's local storage containing your vault data.

Then connect your Android device to your Mac with a USB cable. If you don't already have Android File Transfer installed, you may need to install it. This will allow you to navigate your Android device files and copy them to the Mac. Navigate to the .opvault folder you exported and copy that to your Mac. Then double-click the .opvault folder. It should open up in 1Password on your Mac. Do you see all of your data there now?

Once you have everything safe and sound on the Mac, you can start over on Android and reconfigure WLAN server sync. Let me know how that goes!

• marvin_antoinette
    marvin_antoinette
    Community Member

Thank you peri - I was able to transfer the .opvault to my Mac but when trying to open (after entering my main password) it says that right now it is not possible to import from vaults (Der Import aus Schlüsselbunden wird derzeit noch nicht für 1Password Konten unterstützt.).

Damn. What can I do now? Thank you

• It sounds like 1Password on your Mac is configured with an account. Launch 1Password on your Mac, and from the menu bar, select 1Password 6 > Preferences > Advanced, and there check the box to Allow creation of local vaults outside of 1Password accounts. You should be able to open the vault without seeing that error after. Let me know if that helps!

• marvin_antoinette
    marvin_antoinette
    Community Member

Hey peri - thank you so much! This worked!! I now have my passwords back on my Mac. But still I am not able to sync with my android phone. Should I delete 1Password on my phone now and start the sync process again?

Best

• That's great news, @marvin_antoinette! I'm so glad to hear that. :)

Now that you have everything on the Mac, start over on Android and reconfigure WLAN sync. Let me know how that goes!

• marvin_antoinette
    marvin_antoinette
    Community Member

Hey peri - sorry to bother you again. I tried to resync the android app with the Mac but unfortunately it only syncs the main vault and not the new one I imported via .opvault file on my Mac. It transfers only the test-login I created in the main vaul and then says "sync complete" - although I have checked the new vault in the Mac app to be synced. Is there a way to "transfer" the passwords from the newly created vault to the main vault?

Thank you very much for your help.

• Ack! Sorry about that, @marvin_antoinette. I hadn't realized that this was a secondary vault. It's only possible to sync a Primary vault on Android using WLAN sync. If possible, I recommend syncing the secondary vault using Dropbox. Otherwise, we'll need to start over on your Mac so you can make this the Primary vault. In that case, can you let me know if you're using a 1Password account? Thanks!

• marvin_antoinette
    marvin_antoinette
    Community Member

Hi peri, thanks for your quick reply. I really don't need the primary vault so if there is a possibility to "import" the opvault File as the primary vault on my Mac I would love to do that.
    I would not like to use dropbox sync and currently I also don't need a 1password Account I think.

Thanks for your continuous help!
    Best

• Hi @marvin_antoinette. We can completely clear all data from your Mac, so that you can reconfigure sync with only the .opvault vault.

Keep in mind that this will erase all of your data and preferences. Then launch 1Password on your Mac but leave it locked. From the menu bar, select Help > Troubleshooting > Reset All 1Password Data. This will make it as if you're launching 1Password for the first time. Double-click the .opvault folder again, and it should open up in 1Password and be the Primary (and only) vault now, and you should be able to sync. Let me know how that goes!

• marvin_antoinette
    marvin_antoinette
    Community Member

Hey @peri - thank you so much! It worked!! Everything is fine now :) Thank you very much for your amazing quick help.

• I'm so glad to hear that, @marvin_antoinette! And it was no problem at all. :) Let us know if you need anything else!

This discussion has been closed.