Sync Overwrite Option

Options
Zwerk
Zwerk
Community Member

I have two Macs and an iPad. Its no use for me to spend hours cleaning up my data on my iMac only to have my laptop sync and merge its outdated data back in. Why don't you have an overwrite option so I can use one computer as a master and sync it to the iCloud and then have the option to overwrite the iCloud onto my other computer. Or at least tell me how to get around wasting so much time.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:overwrite

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Zwerk: Honestly I'm not sure it's come up before. Having a specific, single purpose option to overwrite sync data is kind of antithetical to the "sync" concept, and the same thing can be accomplished simply by setting up 1Password with an empty vault on one device and then syncing the data over from another. In your case, it sounds like what you'll need to do is this:

1. Disable sync on all devices
    2. Restore your data from a backup of your "cleaned up" data
    3. Reset 1Password on all devices except the one with the "cleaned up" data you want to sync to all of them
    4. Go to Help > Troubleshooting > Reset iCloud Data
    5. Setup 1Password and sync your data over on each device

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• ellend
    ellend
    Community Member
    Options

Am I to understand this reply to mean that if I update an entry with a new password while on my iPad and then sync to my Mac, the updated entry will not overwrite the "old" password on my Mac? If this is true, then syncing only helps in adding new entries, right?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Am I to understand this reply to mean that if I update an entry with a new password while on my iPad and then sync to my Mac, the updated entry will not overwrite the "old" password on my Mac? If this is true, then syncing only helps in adding new entries, right?

@ellend: No. Certainly it can sound that way if you ignore the context of the rest of the discussion though. We've been talking about replacing all of the data on devices B, C, D, etc. with the data from device A. This isn't at all how sync works; rather, it's using the same data across multiple devices and then it pushes only data which has changed on one to the others. I hope that clarifies things a bit!

• Zwerk
    Zwerk
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Brenty for your opinion on the definition of syncing. I don't know about password programs but there has always been software that offered an option to either overwrite or merge within a traditional data syncing procedure. I was therefore able to "sync" a secondary device to my primary device. I am surprised that this issue has not come up before to your knowledge. Thank you for confirming the step-by-step process to remedy the situation. Rather than debate the semantics of "syncing" I would like to state that while I am happy that 1Password syncs all day I would benefit from having an option to overwrite for times when merging is not appropriate. I glean from your pre-emptive response that this suggestion will not be entertained by 1Password.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Zwerk,

...while I am happy that 1Password syncs all day I would benefit from having an option to overwrite for times when merging is not appropriate.

The steps Brenty gave you shouldn't be needed on a regular basis - you should only need to follow them once to resolve the problem. After that, changes you make to 1Password on one device will sync to your other devices so they all match / stay up to date with your latest information.

The only time you should be asked about merging data is if you make changes to 1Password while sync is disabled on one of your devices. Therefore, when you re-enable sync on that device, the local data will be a little different than the data in iCloud, and it will ask if you want to merge.

When it says it will merge your data, that just means it will compare the 1Password data on that device with the 1Password data in iCloud, and update both accordingly. In other words, changes you've made on that device will sync to iCloud (and to your other devices), and changes you've made in iCloud (via other devices) will sync to that device. Essentially, it does what you normally expect it to do during a sync. After that, as long as sync remains enabled on each device, you won't be asked about merging - changes you make on one device will simply sync to your other devices.

So under normal circumstances, an 'overwrite' option shouldn't be necessary. And in the rare situation where it is, you can do it by resetting 1Password data on a device or in iCloud (depending on what needs to be overwritten) and re-sync it again. (That procedure isn't named "overwrite" but that's what it does.)

I hope this helps to clear up any confusion about that, but if you have more questions, please don't hesitate to let us know. Cheers! :)

• Zwerk
    Zwerk
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you I appreciate the effort you make to clarify issues. When I went to Reset iCloud Data the warning is rather ominous in that it says it will "remove all your data from the remote iCloud" which I had just finally corrected after a merge that brought in 300 unwanted items. Then it says "you local data will remain unchanged". So this seemed the polar opposite to what I wanted. I wanted to leave the iCloud untouched and remove local data. So now I have to delete the entire program and re-download it?

• Zwerk
    Zwerk
    Community Member
    Options

Here are your instructions: Open 1Password. If 1Password is not already locked, lock the app by clicking the padlock in the top right corner. Choose Help > Troubleshooting > Reset All 1Password Data and follow the on-screen instructions. I deleted the app from my laptop and re-downloaded it but I think that may only apply to my IOS as it all came back. Sync is disabled but "reset all 1Password data is greyed out".

• Zwerk
    Zwerk
    Community Member
    Options

Okay I found this confusing. I thought it was locked because the upper right hand corner of the window had a closed lock icon. Apple settings which I am accustomed to, show an open or closed lock icon. So it threw me and I thought you had some type of "Locked" within your open program. I now realize that its basically quitting 1Password or by locking under 1Password in the menu. I have made the correct adjustments and would have preferred if you made it easier. Thanks

• Zwerk
    Zwerk
    Community Member
    Options

When I say "you" I mean 1 Password not you Drew. When these issues arise its simple for you guys as you know the program inside and out but it took me far to long to work this out. I can see teenagers rolling their collective eyes :) I would like an overwrite from iCloud back to the device as a feature but clearly its an anomaly for 1Password and not worth it. Thanks for your help I do appreciate the effort you make to address issues.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'm sorry you ran into so much confusion, but happy to hear you figured it out! As you now know, the padlock icon in the corner of the main 1Password window indicates what will happen if you click on it, instead of the current state it's in. So, it's similar to the 'Play' and 'Pause' buttons of a video player (i.e. press 'Play' to play, press 'Pause' to pause). But since that's different from how it works in some Apple settings with a similar padlock icon, I can see how that might be confusing. I'll be happy to forward your feedback to our developers. :)

When I went to Reset iCloud Data the warning is rather ominous in that it says it will "remove all your data from the remote iCloud" which I had just finally corrected after a merge that brought in 300 unwanted items. Then it says "you local data will remain unchanged". So this seemed the polar opposite to what I wanted. I wanted to leave the iCloud untouched and remove local data.

I apologize if we misunderstood the situation and/or exactly what you were trying to do! In your initial post, it sounded like you ended up with unwanted items on both Macs as well as in iCloud. In that case, overwriting the data on one (or both) Macs with the data from iCloud wouldn't have helped, because you would have ended up with all the same unwanted items again. But now it sounds like maybe you had already cleaned up your data on one Mac and in iCloud before contacting us, and you simply needed to know how to reset 1Password on the other Mac so you could sync data from iCloud again.

When these issues arise its simple for you guys as you know the program inside and out but it took me far to long to work this out.

We truly appreciate the feedback! Our developers are always working to improve 1Password and make things easier for our customers, so it helps to hear about the areas we still need to work on.

I would like an overwrite from iCloud back to the device as a feature but clearly its an anomaly for 1Password and not worth it.

To be fair, that's currently possible by resetting the local data and syncing with iCloud again. But I understand that's not necessarily intuitive, and I can certainly let our developers know you'd like to automate that process with a specific "overwrite" option.

I'm sorry again for any confusion/misunderstanding! Hopefully you're all set, but let us know if you need anything else. Happy New Year! :)

This discussion has been closed.