Confusion about multiple vaults and passwords

tmiller54321
tmiller54321
Community Member

I currently am using the standalone version of 1Password (not the 1Password Account) on a Mac, PC and IOS and synced via Dropbox. I have one primary vault but would like to create a second vault with a COMPLETELY different password from the first. The tests I have run show that once I enter my Master Password, all the vaults open even thought the second vault has its own password. I want this setup so that when I sign into 1Password, it opens my primary vault. If I want to switch to another vault, it will not open that without entering the second vault's password. I can't seem to get this behavior to happen. The password on the second vault seems to be worthless and I'm not understanding what it's for.

Can you clarify how these multiple vault passwords work and how (if at all) I can have multiple vaults that require different passwords to open?

Thanks.

1Password Version: Version 6.5.3 Mac
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.12.2
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:multiple vault passwords

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @tmiller54321

Thank you for taking some time to contact us about this issue. I'm sorry about the confusion with this, but I'll be glad to help you sort it out! Right now, you do need your Master Password to unlock 1Password in general, and you can then use a different Master Password on top of that for other vaults. If you want to have a completely different set up of 1Password you need to create a second user in your computer. The feature that you're talking about, is one that has been mentioned before and that we do hope to be able to implement in 1Password some day :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.