Safari can't open "onepassworld4-extension://activate/Safari" [1Password app needs to be installed]

Options
rigray
rigray
Community Member
edited January 2017 in Mac

Safari can't open "onepassworld4-extension://activate/Safari" because OS X doesn't recognise Internet addresses starting with "onepassword4-extension:".

I am using 1Password trial version on my iMac. The extension worked fine on my Macbook Pro but I have downloaded and tried to instal the extension on my iMac, without success. I have tried uninstalling, closing Safari and reinstalling again without success. The above is the error message received.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X Yosemite 10.10.5
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Safari can't open "onepassworld4-extension://activate/Safari"

Comments

• ag_TJLuoma
    ag_TJLuoma
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @rigray

Sorry for the trouble that you've been having. Let's try to make a clean sweep of 1Password from Safari:

1. Quit Safari, and then go to the Finder.

2. In the Finder, choose the "Go" menu item and then choose "Go to Folder".

3. Put "~/Library/Safari/Extensions" into the "Go to Folder" window (without the " marks, of course)

4. If you see anything like "1Password.safariextz” or “1Password-2.safariextz" in that folder, move them to the trash and then empty the trash.

5. Launch Safari, and try installing the extension from Apple's official Safari Extension page

https://safari-extensions.apple.com/details/?id=com.agilebits.onepassword4-safari-2BUA8C4S2C

1. Click the "Install" button.

Let us know if the problem persists after that.

Thanks!

Tj

• rigray
    rigray
    Community Member
    Options

I'm now sorted. Thanks for your assistance.

• Hi @rigray - Fantastic news! I'll make sure to give @TJLuoma a high-five :-) I'm happy to hear everything is working properly. Keep us posted if you have any additional questions. Have a fantastic day!

• MarekKriz
    MarekKriz
    Community Member
    Options

Hi! I have the same problem but after the steps mentioned above, still doesn't work.

• Hi MarekKriz - Sorry to hear about the issue with the extension. I just sent you an email so we can continue the conversation over there. Talk to you soon and have a great day :-)

ref: MSY-44591-292

• joeycab
    joeycab
    Community Member
    Options

Same issue for me here. Just like Mare, the above steps have not worked.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @joeycab,

I'm sorry for the delayed response! If you're still having trouble with the 1Password extension, can you please let us know some more details about your setup:

Thanks in advance! :)

• euroclydon37
    euroclydon37
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having the same issue. I'm currently running 10.12.3, the extension is on version 4.6.3.

I've tried both versions.

I'm using Safari 10.0.3

The button shows up after installation. Clicking it results in a long delay followed by a new tab being opened saying that Safari doesn't recognize the url.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @euroclydon37,

I've tried both versions.

Do you mean you've tried the 1Password app from our website and also the 1Password app from the Mac App Store? Which one is installed now, and which exact version?

To find the version, open the main 1Password app on your Mac and go to 1Password > About 1Password in the menu bar. The window that opens will show the version number, and also if it's from the AgileBits Store or the Mac App Store.

Also, is the main app working correctly (i.e. you can open and unlock it, and see all your data)? Do you see the 1Password mini icon in your Mac's menu bar?

• jfoster88
    jfoster88
    Community Member
    Options

Hey,
    I am also struggling with this problem. Just signed up for a trial of 1password and can't get the plugin to work on Safari.
    Help!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jfoster88,

Sorry you're having some trouble! I'm sure we can help to figure this out, but we'll need to know some more details about your setup and the problem:

Thanks in advance! :)

• jfoster88
    jfoster88
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Drew_AG
    Thanks for the quick reply!

The error message is: Safari can't open onepassword4-extension://activate/Safari because MacOS doesn't recognize internet addresses starting with one password4-extension

I am on 10.12.3

I don't have the app installed on my Mac - do I need the app for the web extension to work?

I am not sure what version of the extensions is installed - I pulled it from the Safari Gallery

• rudy
    Options

@jfoster88,

You absolutely need the app to be installed in order to use the web extension.

Please visit https://1password.com/downloads to get the latest version.

Rudy

• jbenck
    jbenck
    Community Member
    Options

I had exact same issue described above. I have the Mac OS app installed just today and I followed this blog to delete my original extension installation and reinstalled it from the Safari extension site. But I am still having the issue. When I click on the mini 1Password button next to my browser address line, it thinks for a bit and then opens a web page with the error "Safari can't open the specified address........mac OS doesn't recognize internet addresses starting with "onepassword4.extension....

Help?

• Jacob
    Options

@jbenck Sorry about that. It sounds like the 1Password app may not be installed. Could you open Finder, click Applications, and check that 1Password is installed there? If it is, open the app and check what version you have, then post that here. Thank you :)

• jenbeast
    jenbeast
    Community Member
    Options

Same problem. Same error - "Safari can't open the specified address........mac OS doesn't recognize internet addresses starting with "onepassword4.extension
    App is installed from Apple's Safari extension page.. Version 4.6.11. Running OS 10.11.6
    I exited Safari and deleted ext file in library and re-installed. Same problem.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @jenbeast -- we need to have not just the extension installed, but 1Password for Mac also. You can download the latest version directly from our downloads page, or from the Mac App Store. Cheers! :)

• jenbeast
    jenbeast
    Community Member
    Options

Works now. Guess I missed a step :blush:

Thanks!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jenbeast -- heh heh heh...that's one of those "if I had a dollar for every time I've done that..." comments. Glad to hear you got everything sorted; let us know if you need help with anything else. :)

This discussion has been closed.