Tax and curency?

I understand, AgilityBits is a canadian company.
So why is 1PW beeing sold in Europe/Switzerland in USD ?
and what kind of sales tax is applyed?
Is it possible to chage currency and subsecantly adapted local sales Tax to my My home base?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• brentybrenty

Team Member

I understand, AgilityBits is a canadian company. So why is 1PW beeing sold in Europe/Switzerland in USD ?

@Chris90: Correct. AgileBits sells 1Password only in USD, since that's a common currency. If you purchase through an app store, sometimes they will use your local currency though.

and what kind of sales tax is applyed? Is it possible to chage currency and subsecantly adapted local sales Tax to my My home base?

No. Sales tax and VAT are charged based on the legal requirements of your billing address, not based on the currency. We collect this where required and remit it to the authorities.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• Tanks Brenty
    to pretend USD is a common currency is quit imperialistic...
    ;)
    Any way, How do I check or correct my billing contry?

• FrankFrank

Team Member

Hi @Chris90 - You can check this by logging into your account online. After you sign in, click on the account name in the upper right hand side > Select "Billing" from the drop down menu > Click on "Invoice Settings" on the right hand side. From here you can make any changes in regards to your billing details - https://support.1password.com/1password-com-billing/

I hope this helps and let us know if you have any further questions. Have a fantastic day :-)

• in "Invoice Settings" i can only change

• Billing annualy/monthly
    • my email for the invoice
      and

• unsubscribe

I can to finde a possibility to heck or correct my billing contry.

• FrankFrank

Team Member

Hi @Chris90 - Under "Invoice Settings" add the correct address under "Address or other information that should appear on each invoice" then you should be good to go. Sorry for the confusion there. Keep me posted if you have any questions. Have a nice day.

• Thanks,
    I found it!
    We will see what happens to the VAT, at the next billing
    :-)

• RomanRoman 1Password Alumni

@Frank_AG will be happy to hear you found it. Please let me know if you need anything else. We're here for you. :)

• So what happens to those of us inside of Canada. Or more to the point, Ontario. are we going to be paying a constant varying exchange rate along with Wynn's HST cut? (Please don't tell me you are going to charge a Carbon Tax for the power the computers use)

The web site really does not specify any currency when i went to it, but as it does say from the Agilebits web link that you are in Toronto Canada, it's rather hard for us to figure out before hand what we are going to be paying.

• FrankFrank

Team Member

Hi @Matt_in_Canada - Sorry for any confusion. All of the prices represented on our website are in USD. VAT is applicable based on the country and province, so yes you will pay the exchange rate and local tax based on credit card address.

We don't charge a carbon tax ;-) But we do have to abide by the laws and regulations which is why VAT is collected depending on the country you enter under billing. Sorry this is fairly new to us as well. As of January 1st 2015 we were required to put this in place. I hope this helps a bit and I do appreciate the feedback. Have a fantastic day!

• I live in Guernsey, Channel Islands. We are not part of the UK or EU and don't have VAT.

Will I still land up paying taxes when they are not due? My billing section suggests I will.

• brentybrenty

Team Member

@chmy: That sounds like it may be something we need to address in our system then. I know Jersey was added recently, and frankly I didn't know it even existed prior to that (though with New Jersey being a thing, it stands to reason). Please shoot us an email at [email protected] and we'll see what needs to be done to get that sorted out. :)

• Could you please add the currency to your website.
    I am in Australia which uses $AUD symbol. You are a Canadian company but charge in $USD from what is mentioned above.
    Would remove any confusion.

One point, why is one password almost as expensive as Office 365 or Adobe Photography bundle.
    I'm not sure I fancy paying almost $85AUD a year for a password program and will probably stick with the standalone program synced with dropbox

• brentybrenty

Team Member

Could you please add the currency to your website. I am in Australia which uses $AUD symbol. You are a Canadian company but charge in $USD from what is mentioned above. Would remove any confusion.

@smith9: Thanks for the feedback! We'll try to make that clearer.

One point, why is one password almost as expensive as Office 365 or Adobe Photography bundle.

Holy cow! What kind of deal are you getting? It cost me a lot more when I subscribed! :scream:

I'm not sure I fancy paying almost $85AUD a year for a password program and will probably stick with the standalone program synced with dropbox

Totally understandable. If the standalone app did everything I wanted, I wouldn't pay for a subscription either! :)

• Holy cow! What kind of deal are you getting? It cost me a lot more when I subscribed!

Office 365 family I got for $94 AUD for 12 months
    Adobe Photography bundle (Lightroom + Photoshop) I got for $144 AUD for 12 months
    Even netflix I got for $108 for 12 months

So compared to the use I get out of 1Password $85 seems steep. I guess the current exchange rate hurts a bit.

• brentybrenty

Team Member

@smith9: Ah, okay. Close-ish, but 1Password.com is still cheaper unless you're going for the 1Password Teams Pro plan. You had me worried that I'd really paid way too much! :lol:

But I undertstand. Certainly the exchange is a sore point depending on the currency and the way the financial winds are blowing. Perhaps down the road we'll be able to offer other options there. :blush:

This discussion has been closed.