To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Single License (2015) and confused about upgrading

Options
frienca
frienca
Community Member

Hi,

I've been trying to do some research by reading some of the articles and forums and am still confused about all of it. I purchased a single license in October of 2015 with 1Password 5. Now, I am not interested in doing a subscription service because I only have a Primary Vault and I only use Apple products that allow me to sync to iCloud. Given those conditions, I inserted my license key into one of the web pages to see if I qualify for an upgrade discount, which I qualify for 50% off. I'm curious what this upgrade is for since I am already upgraded to 1Password 6. From what I understand, this upgrade doesn't create an account?

Also, what I gather is that an account offers to use other browsers not on my devices, item history, and more security. Are there any more selling points? I love your product and will continue to use it. I just don't want to spend money that may not have any affect on my non-account single-license.

Thanks,
Casey

1Password Version: 6.5.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.12.2
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Roman
    Roman
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @frienca! Thanks for getting in touch. I'm sorry for the confusion. If you already own a license for 1Password 5 it will also work in 1Password 6 as it was a free upgrade. Just download 1Password from our website and everything should be fine. :)

As a license owner you don't have (and don't need) an account with 1Password. A subscription account is a different way to use (and pay for) 1Password.

Also, what I gather is that an account offers to use other browsers not on my devices, item history, and more security. Are there any more selling points? I love your product and will continue to use it. I just don't want to spend money that may not have any affect on my non-account single-license.

I was in your shoes a couple of months ago: I had been a license users for years. When AgileBits came out with their subscription offering (I hadn't joined the team yet back then), I had to make up my mind whether to keep using 1Password with my standalone license or sign up for a subscription. For me, it was a no-brainer. Here are my personal reasons why I chose to go with a subscription, they're not meant as a sales pitch at all. Maybe they offer some food for thought though.

• I'm weird. I like to pay for software. :) I like to pay for good software that makes my life easier and there's no single App on my devices that I use more regularly than 1Password.
    • My latest upgrade with 1Password was for 1Password 4. Since then version 5 and 6 had been released as free upgrades. I found that very generous, and I felt compelled to return the favor. I'm generous in that way, as I've worked in the software business for 15+ years and know that developers prefer to work with their lights on. For keeping them on, they need to sell their software, which made sense to me.
    • But my reasons for choosing a subscription were not entirely philanthropic in nature, as you can imagine. I think, a subscription is a good deal. I don't have to pay attention to license keys and upgrade pricing anymore. I can just install 1Password on any device I own.
    • I've previously synced my data via Dropbox, but it's so much easier with a subscription: zero setup, and near instant synchronisation.
    • The ability to be able to access my passwords from any computer with a browser for situations where my devices are out of power or (even worse) are misplaced/stolen feels like a great safety net.

(Full disclosure: I've been a 1Password customer since 2008. I created my Family subscription in April 2016. I joined the team at AgileBits in November 2016)

I'm going to be honest with you: if you feel like all you need is your desktop, a subscription is (maybe) not for you. But if any of my personal reasons resonated with you, I would recommend a subscription.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you need any additional information. I’ll be happy to help!

• frienca
    frienca
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for such a detailed explanation, Roman. Everything makes a lot more sense now. For now, the single-license works best for me, but I'll continue to look at the subscription services to see if that's something that would make more sense to me in the future.

• On behalf of Roman, you're welcome! Glad to hear that sorted things out. :) We are here if you have some other questions.

• mheaney
    mheaney
    Community Member
    Options

I also purchased a single license about a year ago. Now I want my spouse and our two teenagers to use 1password and have their own private password vaults. I also want my spouse and me to have a shared vault. It sounds like it is possible to do this with my single license. It also sounds like it is possible to do this with a family account, with the added benefit of easier syncing and access from any computer, but with the drawbacks of a monthly fee and our passwords being transmitted over the internet and stored remotely.

Is all of this correct?
    If I get a family account, is the money I paid for a single license lost? Or do I get a discounted monthly fee?
    Is there a way to use a family account without my passwords being transmitted over the internet and stored remotely?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mheaney: Since I see that you also contacted us separately via email, I'll reply there as well in more detail. But I wanted to respond here in case it helps anyone else in a similar situation.

I also purchased a single license about a year ago. Now I want my spouse and our two teenagers to use 1password and have their own private password vaults. I also want my spouse and me to have a shared vault. It sounds like it is possible to do this with my single license.

A 1Password single license is only valid for the license holder, so you'd need to purchase additional licenses for other family members in that case if that's what you purchased.

It also sounds like it is possible to do this with a family account, with the added benefit of easier syncing and access from any computer, but with the drawbacks of a monthly fee and our passwords being transmitted over the internet and stored remotely.

To be clear, 1Password never transmits your passwords over the internet, whether you use 1Password.com or iCloud or Dropbox or anything else to sync your data. Your 1Password data is encrypted before it ever leaves your device, so 1Password simply doesn't depend on the sync service to protect your data. 1Password is secure by design, not by chance.

Is all of this correct? If I get a family account, is the money I paid for a single license lost?

Not at all. It sounds like you've gotten a lot of use out of your license and you can continue to use it for as long as you wish, since it never expires. However, a standalone license is not valid for the subscription service. But if anyone purchased one recently, they can contact us at support@1password.com and we'll see what we can do to help.

Or do I get a discounted monthly fee?

No. We offered some great promotions when the various 1Password.com plans were launched, but those are no longer available if you didn't take advantage of them at that time. If they went on forever, they wouldn't be very special!

Is there a way to use a family account without my passwords being transmitted over the internet and stored remotely?

Again, your passwords are not transmitted the way you suggest, but you could use the subscription as an affordable way to always have the latest version, and use local vaults instead of 1Password.com. But that means giving up a lot of the benefits of the service, like not having to configure sync to access your data on each device, and the web interface. But it's an option if you prefer that.

I'll also get back to you via email shortly in case we need to discuss anything specific to your account.

ref: UIQ-31218-328

This discussion has been closed.