Syncing Two Different Vaults: One Through AgileBits and One through Google Drive

Options
Mr_DThree
Mr_DThree
Community Member

I currently store all my password data in 1Password and have it sync through AgileBits's servers. I have a bunch of photos/videos I want encrypted and stored with 1Password as well, however, I know that AgileBits only supports up to 1GB of storage. I want to set up a second vault for images/videos to sync with iCloud/Google Drive while keeping my password data synced with AgileBits. Is this possible? If so, how would I go about it? When going into 1Password preferences, I don't see a sync tab where I can manage where my data is stored.

1Password Version: 6.5.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.12.2
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Mr_DThree

Thank you for taking some time to contact us. In general, 1Password can store images like a password picture or your drivers license. You can try using 1Password to store other delicate data if you want, but you're right: you'll need local vaults to do that. First of all go to Preferences > Advanced and then enable "Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts". You'll be able to use Primary for this and sync it up via iCloud or Dropbox.

Please let us know if you have any questions or if there's anything else we can do for you :chuffed:

• Mr_DThree
    Mr_DThree
    Community Member
    Options

Great! That worked! I now have two vaults: one stored with 1Password servers and the other stored on iCloud. I notice however, that I can only store files in my 1Password vault. When I have my local (iCloud) vault selected, I cannot import files. Is there a way around this? Thank you for your help!

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Mr_DThree

I'm glad to hear that it worked well for you and you have your local vault set up :chuffed:

In local vaults we do not have a dedicated "documents" category, however you can attach documents to any item of any kind. Notes is probably the best way to do this. Just click on the + sign at the bottom and pick "Secure Note" and add your attachment here:

Please let us know if this goes well for you and if you have any other questions we can help you with :chuffed:

• Mr_DThree
    Mr_DThree
    Community Member
    Options

This works! Thank you. Its not really as ideal as I had hoped. The interface of simple dragging files (with the account synced with Agile Bits is much better... if only there was a way to purchase more than 1GB of storage! Either way though, thank you very much for your help, I'm going to take your solution. Last question, I see that each file I want to store in a secure note must be less than 5.5mb. Is there any way around this? I have a couple files that are a few hundred MB and even a few over a GB.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Mr_DThree,

On behalf of Pilar, you're very welcome! Indeed, it works a bit differently with local vaults than it does with 1Password.com account vaults. I don't believe there are currently any plans to change that, as our developers have been focussed on accounts.

As for the limit on attachment size, there's really no way around that. Please keep in mind that although 1Password is a great place to securely store information, it wasn't designed to be a file storage solution. The encryption process is resource intensive which could be problematic for large files on certain platforms and/or devices supported by 1Password. Also, in local vaults (i.e. vaults that are not part of your 1Password.com account), attachments are stored locally on each device, so big files can quickly fill that up (especially on mobile devices).

Sorry I don't have a better answer for you about that! But if you have more questions, please don't hesitate to let us know. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.