Saving old passwords

Options
dfz
dfz
Community Member

Does 1Password have a mechanism to save old passwords as they change? Sometimes when changing a password, it is handy to have the old one available in case things go awry and perhaps you didn't really change the PW on the site as you thought you did, or something like that. There are also places that require 90 day or other PW expires and it's helpful to have a history with older passwords and the dates they changed.

If there is not a place within the record to automatically do that, would you consider that as a feature request?

I know I can do this manually be creating a new section and saving them there, but was checking to see if there's an automatic way already in place.

Let me know if you have any comments on whether this is a good practice vis-a-vis proper security.

1Password Version: 6.5.3
Extension Version: 4.6.2
OS Version: 10.12.2
Sync Type: iCloud & Dropbox

Comments

• pervel
    pervel
    Community Member
    Options

That feature is already there. On a login item, click on the button that says show previously used passwords.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @dfz

Thank you very much for taking the time to contact us. Pervel is spot on! You can already see the old passwords by clicking on "Previously used passwords". This option only appears after you've changed a password, so if you don't see it in some items it's because you've never changed the password then :chuffed:

• dfz
    dfz
    Community Member
    Options

OK, I thought I remembered seeing something like that before, but had forgotten and for some reason, it wasn't showing in the record I was working on. Could be I missed it or hadn't gone through the correct steps. I'll watch to see if it happens again, but I do see it now in a different record that I changed, so seems to be working. Thanks for the quick response.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'm glad that was helpful for you! Hopefully it's working correctly, but if you think there's a problem with the previously used passwords feature, please let us know so we can look into it. We're here for you if you need anything else! :)

This discussion has been closed.