Problem trying to copy 1Password vault to a new mac

Options
diitto
diitto
Community Member

Hi, I have a problem. I recently asked for your help regarding the various ways I could sync a single 1Password vault from an old mac to a new one. I don't use iCloud or DropBox or even a 1Password.com account so I wanted to just use the option to sync by copying a file to a USB drive and moving that to the new mac.

I did this process 12 days ago (1Password tells me the last time I did this was 12 days ago) and it worked fine. I'm still working through closing out the old mac and in the days since I last did this process, I've made a couple more changes to the vault on the old machine so today I wanted to simply do this process again.

But...

Today I followed the link you showed me, this one,

https://support.1password.com/new-device/

and I started following the steps down at "Move your data with a USB Flash Drive".

I open 1Password on the old mac, go into its Preferences, click on Sync, the only Vault I have is already highlighted and then I change the NONE to the right (dropdown) to FOLDER. But, rather than a FILE BROWSER opening, instead I get a scary message that says,

DISABLING SYNC
1Password will no longer sync with the folder.

And under that is a check box (unchecked) that says "Delete data from the folder"

And my two choices are either "Cancel" or "Disable Sync".

So what has gone wrong??? And is it fixable???

I find that while still in 1Password, if I go back to that same Sync preference, the above message only comes up the first time after opening 1Password. Each time after, when I click on the pulldown and select FOLDER, nothing happens. No file browser, no scary message.. But if I quit 1Password and start it again, then try the Sync again, I again get that DISABLING SYNC message again. Each time I just say CANCEL and then I came here to ask what is up???

By the way, otherwise, 1Password appears to be working fine on both the old and the new Mac. I just need to bring new up to where old is with just a couple of recent changes.

Running version 6.5.3 for mac on both computers

Help??? thanks... bob

1Password Version: 6.5.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.12.2
Sync Type: USB Flash Drive

Comments

• Hi @diitto ,

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble with folder sync. What I recommend doing is, when it says "Cancel or disable sync", leave the "Delete Data" checkbox unchecked and click Disable. Don't worry, it will not delete your 1Password data. After you've done that, set Sync back to None.

After that, quit 1Password by holding down the control key while selecting Quit 1Password and 1Password mini from the 1Password menu.

Launch 1Password again and try to set up folder sync again. It should work this time.

If you run into trouble, please let us know what happened.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• diitto
    diitto
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Kevin, Thanks for getting back to me. I will do what you say but first I want to back everything up and do know that I even have an older backup. I clone the entire (older) mac drive every couple weeks onto a drive large enough to hold two full clones on two separate partitions. So I always keep two clones, most recent and one back from that. So I will make a new "most recent" before I do what you said above.

I will soon be doing the same with the new mac after I receive a new, smoking fast Thunderbolt SSD that is supposed to arrive later today.

And can you say a bit more about whether this is some bug or something I did or what??? Like I said, 12 days ago I did this exact same thing and it worked fine. But today, no.

It sounds like you've seen this before by your comment about "It should work this time". Is it a known bug or something I did or what??? Thoughts???

thanks... bob

• diitto
    diitto
    Community Member
    Options

Hmmm, I did what you said, Kevin. When I got to the place where you told me to "click Disable", the moment I did that the desired "sync to folder" window came up. I chose to go ahead and choose a folder and I successfully wrote a 1Passwrod.opvault file to a selected folder. I then, for grins, closed out of 1Password and the Mini as you suggested. Relaunched, went back to sync and it was sitting at the same folder pointer where I left it (yes, I forgot to set it back to NONE). But I first endeavored to set it to NONE and the moment I did so, it once again, different place this time, gave me that same "Disabling Sync" message again. I clicked that button and immediately up came the "choose folder" window. I then changed NONE to FOLDER and it worked fine this time. Seems to be some issue with when that "disabling sync" message shows itself... Just so you know... Now to see if the opvault file I created is ok which I bet it is. Off to drop it on to my new computer. I will holler if it doesn't work... thanks.. .bob

• diitto
    diitto
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, I recently moved an existing 1Password vault from an old to a new Mac. That worked just fine. Now I've made a few changes on that old Mac to that 1Password vault and I want to ADD those changes to the vault on the new Mac. I have that .opvault file sitting on the desktop of the new Mac and now I want it to replace the vault that is currently sitting on the new Mac. I see how to take the updated vault sitting on my desktop and make it a SECOND vault but I don't want that. I want it to replace the FIRST vault that is currently on the new Mac. I am assuming it is a sync operation but I know how to SYNC a vault to a file but now I want to sync that file back to a vault (go the other way). That I don't know how to do.

I don't want a second vault although I supposed I could create this 2nd vault and then delete the first??? But that seems silly. How do I take an existing vault and just update it with a .opvault that contains ALL the desired data. ???

thanks... bob

1Password Version: 6.5.3
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: 10.12.3
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @diitto

Thank you for taking some time to get in touch with us. If I get it right, at some point you moved your data from A to B, you then made changes into the vault on A, which wasn't syncing at all and you want to get everything on A in B again and delete everything in B, is this correct? If it is then the easiest you can do is start over with an empty vault in B. Then just set up Sync on A and when you open 1Password again on B set it to set with A. Everything on B should be exactly the same as on A. If there's anything different in your configuration from what I described then please let us know as many details as possible so we can help you find the best solution possible :chuffed:

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @diitto,

I'm glad Kevin's steps were helpful for you! It might be easier for you to leave Folder sync enabled on the old Mac so the local .opvault sync file continues to be updated if you make more changes to 1Password on the old Mac. Then you can copy that .opvault file to the new Mac and don't need to worry about enabling/disabling the sync settings each time.

You mentioned backups, so I wanted to let you know that the 1Password app automatically makes backups of your data. In the main app, go to 1Password > Preferences > Backup to see them.

If you run into more trouble with this or have more questions, please be sure to let us know. Cheers! :)

• diitto
    diitto
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Pilar, thanks for getting back to me. I also have a related post (likely should not have broken my issue in to two posts) at,

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/352016#Comment_352016

Over on that other post, I was having a problem syncing to a folder on what you above correctly called computer A (the older one). That worked fine a couple weeks ago when I first was starting to set up this new computer B (the new one). But I had made a few changes on the vault of computer A so I needed again to use the Sync to Folder process. Longer story about why I don't do syncs via iCloud or 1Password.com and in the near future computer A is going to get wiped and computer B becomes the only game in town. At least that's today's plan. But when trying to use sync to Folder on that older computer B again, something didn't work at first and that's the focus of my other, above linked, post.

But I was finally successful at making a 1Password.opvault over on A and I "file shared" that file over to the desktop of computer B (the new one) where it now sits. So, all that said, on computer B (the new one), I now have its 1Password vault at about 95% of what I want it to be. I have the 100% up to date 1Password.opvault sitting on the desktop of computer B and I want to do whatever step(s) is required to use that 100% file to update the existing vault (95%) currently sitting in 1Password on computer B. So consider computer A to be out of the loop for now. I've got its updated 1Password.opvault file sitting on the desktop of computer B.

So I see how to "sync to FOLDER" but I now basically want to "sync FROM FOLDER" where, in this case, the "folder" will be my desktop on my new mac (or I could put the file in a regular folder if need be) and in that folder will be the 1Password.opvault that I want to replace the vault on computer B.

I also see Import and Export but the Import does not seem to be for .opvault type files because I looked at that and it leaves the .opvault file greyed out when I look to see what I am allowed to "import".

So what do I do to get the file on the desktop of computer B to sync to, update or whatever term you would use, the vault in 1Password on that same machine???

I've made that question way too long... Sorry.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @diitto,

I hope you don't mind, but I merged both of your forum discussions together to avoid confusion.

If you enable Folder sync in 1Password on the new Mac and choose the new .opvault file you copied from your old Mac, it will merge with the existing (but out of date) vault on the new Mac. That just means it will compare the 1Password data on your new Mac with the 1Password data in the .opvault file, and update each one with any changes made to the other so they match.

Or, if you'd prefer to reset the 1Password data on your new Mac and replace it with the data from that .opvault file, that's easy to do by following these steps:

1. Open 1Password on the new Mac.
    2. If 1Password is unlocked, lock it by clicking the padlock in the upper right corner.
    3. Choose Help > Troubleshooting > Reset All 1Password Data and follow the on-screen instructions.
    4. Launch 1Password again, and you should see the 'Welcome' screen - choose More Options > On my Mac.
    5. Click the Choose File button and select your .opvault file.

Hopefully this helps, but please let us know if you have more questions about that. :)

• diitto
    diitto
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Drew, Thanks. And yes, After I made two posts, I later decided it likely would have been best to have just combined thoughts into one so no issue with combing the two. thanks.

So what I trust you're saying in the first part of your response above is that SYNC is truly that, a two way street where you compare both the existing vault on the new mac and the .opvault I brought over from the old mac and it ADDITIVELY makes them both the same. I will give that a try first and report back if I have a problem. thanks.

On a related topic and just FYI, do note that in my original post from January 25th way at the top, that I said,

"I open 1Password on the old mac, go into its Preferences, click on Sync, the only Vault I have is already highlighted and then I change the NONE to the right (dropdown) to FOLDER. But, rather than a FILE BROWSER opening, instead I get a scary message that says,

DISABLING SYNC
    1Password will no longer sync with the folder.

And under that is a check box (unchecked) that says "Delete data from the folder"

And my two choices are either "Cancel" or "Disable Sync"."

I have since learned from what Kevin told me above and also just from getting courageous enough to click "Disable Sync" that when I do so, leaving "Delete data from the folder" unchecked, the expected folder browser window opens, i.e.., what I was expecting in the first place when I got the DISABLING SYNC message.

I'm pretty sure the first time I tried that some two plus weeks ago, I simply got the file browser but ever since I get this DISABLING SYNC message which. Anyway, I'm just reporting, not really asking any questions about that as I've learned to just click "Disable Sync" and then I get the FOLDER browser window I am looking for.

A bug??? A feature??? Beats me. Anyway, that DISABLING SYNC message was unexpected and not understood by me. And here, again, I am just reporting what I see.

I will try the first part of what you said above in a little while and report back if it causes any issues.

thanks... bob

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're very welcome, @diitto! Please let us know if you run into problems syncing with the new .opvault file on your new Mac.

As for the problem you had when trying to change the sync setting from None to Folder, is it possible you had previously left Folder sync enabled, but had deleted the .opvault file or moved it somewhere else? If 1Password was still trying to sync with that original .opvault file but couldn't find it, it might have shown "None" in the sync settings, even though Folder sync was still technically enabled. (I'm not positive about that, but it's my best guess.)

On the other hand, if you had disabled Folder sync yourself, but it gave you a message about disabling sync when you were actually just trying to re-enable it, that definitely shouldn't have happened, and I don't know why it would have. But there's really no need to disable Folder sync, so if you've been doing that, I recommend simply keeping it enabled so the .opvault file on the old Mac stays up to date.

If you have more trouble with that, just let us know. :)

• diitto
    diitto
    Community Member
    Options

First of all, the syncing worked fine. I would have sworn the last time I tried to point at the .opvault file that it was grayed out. So I thought, well, since this is "folder" sync, it just has to be contained with some enclosing folder. And that does appear to be the case. But, in addition, today I pointed directly at the .opvault file sitting on my new mac's desktop (I moved it over there from the older machine) and it saw that just fine too. So I will write it up to what I write a lot of stuff up to these days, I'm getting older... Anway, the sync worked fine. Thanks for your help on that.

Regarding the other issue, the "disable folder sync", yesterday I could not get it to NOT pop up that window. Today I can't get it to pop up at all, on either my old or new machine. Beats me. But it was real. I will need to update this vault a few more times and I will watch to see what condition creates it. If I see it again, I will holler. It may be what you said above about me having moved or deleted the .opvault file. But we're good for now.

thanks much. bob

• Roman
    Roman
    1Password Alumni
    Options

On behalf of Drew_AG you're welcome! I'm happy to hear you're good. In case anything else comes up, please let us know. We'll be happy to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.