Password stopped working all of a sudden on Mac but not on other devices. Changed itself? Known Bug?

Options
mrdawoudw
mrdawoudw
Community Member

This is the second time this has happened. Is this a known bug? I have not changed the Master Password. Used it in the evening, in the morning woke up and was not working. Still working on my iPhone. I have stuff stored in iCloud so it is not a big issue but it is a pain in the *ss do have to do this again in less than a month's time.
Can anyone shed some light on what might be happening?

1Password Version: 6
Extension Version: 6.5.3
OS Version: 10.12.2
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Do you have any special characters in your password?

One possibility is that the keyboard you are using got changed somehow (a bug in Mac OS, perhaps) and that you do not notice this in everyday use but for the password a different character gets sent.

For instance, alt-3 produces a different character on US and UK keyboards. You could try typing your password into a text editor or word processor and seeing if it comes up as you expect.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mrdawoudw

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble with 1Password! We'd love to get to the bottom of this and a Diagnostics Report from bot your Mac and your iPhone would help us find it :chuffed:

I'd like to ask you to create some Diagnostics Reports, one from each of your devices:

Attach the Diagnostics Report(s) to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report(s) in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report(s) in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report(s) and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

• mrdawoudw
    mrdawoudw
    Community Member
    Options

Pilar,

Ok the reports were sent, both of them. Just waiting now on feedback from you and your team. Thanks

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mrdawoudw,

I tried searching our system for the email address from your forum account but I don't see any new emails/diagnostics reports from you (I only found one you sent us a few weeks ago before you started this forum discussion). After sending the new reports, did you receive an automated reply from the BitBot assistant? If so, please let us know the ticket ID from that email so we can track your reports down.

If you didn't receive an email reply from BitBot with a ticket ID, that likely means we never received your reports. In that case, would you please try sending them again? You might also want to check the Sent and Drafts folders of your email to see if you can find the original email there.

Aside from the diagnostics report, I'm curious about your answer to Danco's question - do you happen to use any special characters in your master password? We have a bit more information about why that might cause a problem here: Should I use special characters in my Master Password?

• mrdawoudw
    mrdawoudw
    Community Member
    Options

Strange, I sent both requested reports (bstonegroup@xxxxxks.org) For your reference, your support ID is [#SHG-72924-731] which is the response I got for the iOS report.
    I did not get one for the Mac OS X report so I will send it again.
    yes I think I did use one special charter for one Master Password but not sure. Definitely did not for the last Master Password. But I don't see how that is an issue when I am not using different keyboards. I ONLY use my MacBook Pro.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2017
    Options

@mrdawoudw: Got it! Thanks for the Support ID! I'm looking it over and will get back to you as soon as I can. :)

Just wanted to clarify for you and others that you wouldn't necessarily have to be using a different keyboard, but it's relatively easy to change to a different keyboard layout in the OS.

Other considerations are that 1Password doesn't store and match the Master Password; rather, the correct input can be used to reverse the encryption process...but if the data has been damaged or modified, this will not work.

ref: LRD-33754-424

• mrdawoudw
    mrdawoudw
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty But it seems that you only received the iOS report whereas I sent 2. One for Mac OS X and 1 for iOS. I did not receive a confirmation for the OS X report even though I sent it again minutes before I posted my last comment. Can you confirm the address that it needs to be sent to. This is the one that I used: support+forum@agilebits.com. THX

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2017
    Options

@mrdawoudw: That's the right one, and I received your most recent message (you probably didn't receive an additional Support ID since it was automatically linked to the previous one) . Weirdly, I'm seeing the opposite though: Two from 1Password for Mac and one from iOS...

Unless you're going by the Support ID I included. If so, ignore that, as that's simply because I've merged all of them into a single thread on our end. ;)

I've actually just replied via email minutes ago before seeing your post here, so let's keep the conversation going there to avoid any confusing back and forth. :)

This discussion has been closed.