Notice that 1Password quit unexpectedly

Options
wemanuel
wemanuel
Community Member

I would just like to confirm that a regular notice that 1Password quit unexpectedly is valid? I use 1Password on a MacBook Air running macOS 10.12.3. 1Password appears to function normally. The quit unexpectedly message appears after I restart macOS, and I believe it appears only when I fail to stop 1Password before restarting the system. If 1Password is programmed to display the message under these circumstances, then it seems like a really good thing to do. But it's also a little unusual for a macOS application to do this, and given the data that I protect using 1Password, I just want to confirm that all is well. Thanks, Bill

1Password Version: 6.5.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.12.3
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Hi @wemanuel,

It's not normal for that to be the case, no. Are you getting prompted to report those to us with a prompt to enter your email address? If so, please send those our way and let us know so that we can look in our crash database to find your specific crashes and let you know what's going on.

Rick

• wemanuel
    wemanuel
    Community Member
    Options

Hum. Glad I asked. No the pop-up appears with the message. I am editing 4 or 5 documents at the moment. As soon as I can reasonably do a restart, I will make notes about what occurs and do a screen capture of the pop-up. I will comment again soon.

• Much appreciated. I just searched our database and I found some crash logs from you, but they were for really old versions of the app. It looks like these new ones either aren't getting sent to us or not associated with your (forum) email address.

Rick

• wemanuel
    wemanuel
    Community Member
    Options

Well of course as these things go, I couldn't reproduce the event. I'm suspicious now that the event is associated with my use of 2 relatively large (> 1TB) external, encrypted volumes. I keep some scientific research data on these volumes, and when I access them, I use a number of applications, including various programs I created. The sessions are usually at least several hours long, and I multi-task a lot while the volumes are mounted. Generally, I restart only after I end a session using these external volumes, in order to unmount the volumes and disconnect any process that may have been accessing them. I am bad about leaving some applications running, including 1Password, when I restart. I tried to reproduce a quick session with the external drives mounted and still didn't get a popup regarding 1Password. The next time I get the popup, I will document everything I can. The e-mail address I used to register for this forum is the same as the one associated with any credentials I have registered with Apple. But I never use the e-mail account provided by Apple---I even forget the address.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @wemanuel,

I'm glad it seems to be working for you right now and isn't crashing! If/when that happens again and you send us the crash report, please let us know so we can check again. Hopefully that will help us figure out what's going on. Cheers! :)

• wemanuel
    wemanuel
    Community Member
    Options

Today, I encountered the same message from 1Password for the 1st time since my last comment. I captured the "Details" from the message pane, but my system did not offer to send a crash report. Again, this message appears when I open 1Password after restarting the OS without quitting 1Password. I am attaching a screen shot of the message as an image. I was not able to attach a plain text file containing the entire report.

Since my last comment, I reinstalled macOS Sierra fresh from a disk image in order to resolve a problem with SPAM filtering in the Apple mail app. So the 1Password message today is from an OS install less than 3 days ago.

• wemanuel
    wemanuel
    Community Member
    Options

Crash report to Apple should be associated with the same e-mail address that I used to join this forum. Hope all this helps! 1Password is a great application.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @wemanuel,

Thanks, but it looks like that’s a crash report which was sent to Apple, which means we won’t receive it. (That probably explains why we didn't receive the crash reports you sent last month.) But don't worry, there's another way we can look into this - instead of a crash report, I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your Mac: https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?mac

Attach the Diagnostics Report to an email message addressed to: support+forum@agilebits.com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum username so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your report in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report and make sure you receive a reply as quickly as possible. Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance! :)

• wemanuel
    wemanuel
    Community Member
    Options

Just sent report. I will repeat immediately following the next occurrence of a "quit unexpectedly" notice.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks @wemanuel! We received your Diagnostics Report, and I'll update the email thread with details from this forum discussion so it's easier for our support team to get up to speed with the issue. Someone will get back to you as soon as possible with more information, and we'll keep the conversation going directly via email to avoid complicating things between here and there. Cheers! :)

ref: CKG-76183-375

This discussion has been closed.