Few Simple First timer Questions

Options
justnishant123
justnishant123
Community Member

Hi,
I am evaluating 1Password, but could not get precise information I am seeking from your forums. Hence, this email. It's a bit long, so please bear with me. I've formulated by doubts in individual questions. All my queries below are about individual account i.e. neither families nor team account.

My requirement is very simple :
I need 1Password as a windows desktop application which can store my data encrypted in dropbox, which I should be able to access from an android app. In android app, I should be able to login with fingerprint / master password.

I understand there are following variants of 1Password.
a. Online version - in which you login on web
b. Windows Desktop version 4
c. Windows Desktop version 6
d. Android App

There are other Mac, iOS based versions too, but since I have windows on PC and Android phone, i'll stick to the above 4 variants.

Q1. what is the advantage of using desktop V6 over desktop v4 ? Just from the screens, v6 looks featureless and v4 quite loaded with features and suits to my needs.

Q2. what is the advantage of creating an online acct over using desktop standalone v4 ? Yes, online version can be available online, but it asks for Account Key & master password to login. Account key is impossible to remember. So with this limitation, how is online version advantageous over desktop standalone v4 ?

Q3 : My need is to use windows desktop V4 with Android app with data kept in dropbox, encrypted. Dropbox v4 has restriction of 20 items only.
3a. Does this restriction applies to android app as well, connected to same dropbox file ? I presume yes.
3b. Is there a paid version of desktop V4 to remove this restriction ? How much does unrestricted desktop v4 cost ? Is it subscription based or one time cost ?
3c. what are the advantages of android pro-version of the app ? After buying desktop v4, do I need to buy android app separately? Feature wise, android app pro-version aligns with desktop v4 or v6 ?

Q4. Currently, I have data in spreadsheets and txt files. How can I migrate these data to 1password effectively ?

Q5. My phone is Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and it has fingerprint recognition as I use fingerprint recognition feature with other apps. But 1Password in security section says "Fingerprint hardware not available" and remains greyed out. Is this a bug with 1Password ?

Q6. How can I use passwords stored in Android App to login to corresponding apps e.g. ebay, twitter, facebook etc on my phone ? Something like the equivalent of browser extension feature but for smartphone.

That would be all. Sorry for a long post.

Cheers,
Nishant

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2017
    Options

@justnishant123: I think a good place to start is that we can narrow it down a bit right from the outset by focusing on the two ways of using 1Password: with (a) license(s) for the standalone app(s), or with a 1Password.com subscription:

What is the difference between a 1Password account and a standalone license?

That's really what it all comes down to, as your setup will stem from that. For example, if you choose a standalone license, you may be using 1Password for Windows versions 4 and syncing your data using Dropbox. Whereas if you go with a subscription, you'll be using 1Password 6 and not configuring sync since you just login to your account to access your data.

While you may want to consider a 1Password subscription, since it gives you access to all of the apps, the web interface, and does away with license management and sync configuration altogether (you simply login to your account to authorize a device and access your data), from your comments it really sounds like you'd prefer 1Password 4 and Dropbox. That will work just fine alongside 1Password for Android.

To answer some of your other questions, 1Password for Android is a free download with an in-app purchase for the Pro Features. The 1Password desktop license (which includes 1Password for Windows version 4 and removes all trial restrictions) is a separate purchase from the AgileBits Store. Both are a one-time fee, and entitle you to use that version on your devices for as long as you wish.

You can use the 1Password for Android keyboard to fill in many apps and your browser, but most Samsung devices do not support Google's Nexus Imprint security technology, which 1Password is using. Without an update from Samsung it will not work, and it looks like only their most recent devices are getting this (Galaxy S6 and newer, I believe).

Regarding migrating your existing data, spreadsheets and text files can be difficult to parse depending on how they're formatted, but @MrC 's converters may be able to help get it into a useable format for import into the 1Password desktop app.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• justnishant123
    justnishant123
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Brenty,
    Thank you for your detailed and patient reply to my super-long query. Your reply definitely clears most of my doubts.

I might go for iPassword subscription, but the following doubts turn me off .

My queries are :

1. Login to online iPassword requires Account Key, which is just impossible to remember. Is there a way round to skip this and login using email & master password only ?

2. iPassword 6 desktop app currently is an information repository. Features like password generator, heartbleed, watchtower I don't see yet in v6.

3. Android App supports iPassword v6 (i.e. subscription version) or iPassword v4 (i.e. standalone version)

4. What is the cost of subscription version for user individual ? Is it an ongoing subscription cost, or a one off cost ? What happens if the subscription is not continued ? Does the user's data get locked up unless subscription is renewed ?

Regards,
    justnishant

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@justnishant123: Glad that helped! There's more where that came from. :)

Login to online iPassword requires Account Key, which is just impossible to remember. Is there a way round to skip this and login using email & master password only ?

The Account Key isn't meant to be memorized and, under most circumstances, you won't even have to type or paste it. For example, when you sign up for the account on your PC, your browser will be authorized, and you can then in turn access the QR code in the Get the Apps section of your account. Then you can drag the QR code to the app to fill your credentials. You can use an existing authorized device in this fashion to make authorizing a new one easier.

iPassword 6 desktop app currently is an information repository. Features like password generator, heartbleed, watchtower I don't see yet in v6.

You're right. Most of those features aren't there yet in the new app, but we're working hard to add these and others as we build it. The password generator, however, is present and accounted for, if less prominent in the UI currently. You can bring it up by right-clicking the notification icon, editing a password for a login item, or from the settings icon in 1Password mini. We'll be making it easier to find though, as it doesn't do us much good if we don't know where it is!

Android App supports iPassword v6 (i.e. subscription version) or iPassword v4 (i.e. standalone version)

1Password for Android supports both standalone mode with local vaults and 1Password.com Accounts.

What is the cost of subscription version for user individual ? Is it an ongoing subscription cost, or a one off cost ? What happens if the subscription is not continued ? Does the user's data get locked up unless subscription is renewed ?

The subscription is a recurring cost, and the price varies depending on the plan you choose. But even if you don't pay, you can access your data. We don't lock you out; it will simply be read-only if you're not subscribed. Let me know if there's anything else I can help with! :)

• justnishant123
    justnishant123
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,
    Thanks for your email.
    "The Account Key isn't meant to be memorized and, under most circumstances, you won't even have to type or paste it. For example, when you sign up for the account on your PC, your browser will be authorized, and you can then in turn access the QR code in the Get the Apps section of your account"
    I have a 1Password trial account created and I have downloaded an emergency kit pdf. When I try to login again on https://my.1password.com/signin/ the page asks for email, account key and master password to login. So I am unable to fathom what you said above about browser getting authorized and not requiring the account key to be entered. Same behavior is seen on both firefox & chrome.

Regards,
    Nishant

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@justnishant123: If you clear the browser data, then yeah, you'll need to re-authorize it. 1Password.com uses the browser's local storage to "remember" you so you don't have to enter the Account Key each time you login. Hopefully you don't clear the 1Password app after each session though, so that once it's authorized you can use it to authorize another — such as Chrome of Firefox, if they need to be authorized again. Does that help? :)

This discussion has been closed.