Where is the "Sync" option on my 1password preferences? Mine looks different.

Marly
Marly
Community Member

I know you can't sync with gmail accounts. I did read that you can sync a folder to google drive. I don't have the "sync" option when I go to my 1password preferences page. I was wondering where I could find it.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:syncing folder

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Marly,

If you don’t see the Sync tab in the Preferences, that means you’re signed into a 1Password.com account and do not have any local vaults (i.e. vaults that aren't part of any account). Sync settings don't apply to 1Password.com accounts because the data in your account automatically syncs through our own servers. On another device, all you need to do is sign into your account from the 1Password app, and your data will automatically be downloaded there.

I hope this helps to clear up the confusion, but if you have more questions about that or need anything else, please let us know. Cheers! :)

• Marly
    Marly
    Community Member

Hi Drew_AG,

Thank you for responding. Shouldn't there be a yellow "sync" option?

Best,
    Marlenis

• Marly
    Marly
    Community Member

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Marly,

Shouldn't there be a yellow "sync" option?

Nope! :) Sorry for the confusion, but because you're using a 1Password.com account, all the data in your account syncs automatically through our own servers. In other words, you don't need to configure any sync settings for a 1Password.com account, and therefore the Sync tab isn't shown in Preferences.

The Sync tab is only needed if you have local vaults in the 1Password app. A "local vault" is a kind of vault which isn't part of your 1Password.com account - it's a separate vault that is only stored locally on your device unless you sync it elsewhere by using an option such as Dropbox or iCloud. But you don't need to use a local vault because you're using a 1Password.com account, so you don't have to worry about sync settings.

Does that help to explain this a bit more?

• Marly
    Marly
    Community Member

@Drew_AG, Yes it does. Only thing is that I am using an app on a Mac. I am not on the website. Sorry I thought I mentioned that earlier.

Thank you

• Roman
    Roman
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2017

Hi @Marly - I think, Drew_AG was referring to the Mac app as well. You can easily check whether you are signed into a 1Password (subscription) account by looking at the Accounts tab in Preferences. I'm sure you'll find that you are logged into an account.

If that's the case, 1Password hides all other sync options, as they're usually not needed. For 1Password subscribers sync 'just works'.

I hope this helps clarifying things a bit. :)

• Marly
    Marly
    Community Member

Good Morning @Roman,

Yes it does. Thank you! Have a wonderful day.

• Roman
    Roman
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2017

@Marly - I'm happy to hear that. Have a wonderful day too! :)

This discussion has been closed.