Out of nowhere - “1Password failed to connect to 1Password mini”

Options
ckp
ckp
Community Member

Been using 1P on my mac for a long time now. All of the sudden I try to launch it and get “1Password failed to connect to 1Password mini”
Mac 10.12.3. Cant tell you my 1p password version because I cant even launch it now. But it should be like second to latest stand alone version or so. Still working on my iPhone. What's the fix here? I don't really want to reboot right now, but I need 1p.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• loggerheadnav
    loggerheadnav
    Community Member
    Options

Delete the application from the applications folder. Download the latest version of 1PW and install. Thats the fix. I have had to do this on each MAC I use.

I am very disturbed but this process and no warning from the AgileBits folks. In my opinion, at the very base of operation the 1PW app should work without requiring an "extension" like the Mini version being able to "connect". Once the app is running, notifying the user that the mini or other browser extensions do not work is acceptable, although annoying. But having the actual OS X application unable to boot up and run due to an extension is not acceptable in my opinion. And communications in advance about this kind of disruption is the least that could be provided.

• yosemite4
    yosemite4
    Community Member
    Options

I cannot access my 1Password for Mac SIERRA at all this morning. Locked out. It started referring to '1Password Mini'. The 'about 1Passwords' is greyed out. I went on to the the website and saw an update for the MAC. Unfortunately, on our end the site was down and I could not download the update. Will the update resolve the issue?

How do I resolve this?

• yosemite4
    yosemite4
    Community Member
    Options

Resolved. Easy update. Thank you.

• cjcalifornia
    cjcalifornia
    Community Member
    Options

I am having a similar issue. Have tried all morning to reach any website for Agile for support. All browsers say site is unavailable. My mini 1PW has just poofed from my mac. When I try to launch the main program it tries to connect to 1 PW mini but it does not work. I cannot access anything and am stranded as cannot work or do anything without access to Passwords. I cannot even access Agile support to look for above mentioned update for Mac. using El Capitan. HELP as soon as humanly possible.

• cjcalifornia
    cjcalifornia
    Community Member
    Options

I am having the same problem. But I cannot access 1PW website - Safari and Chrome both say site is unavailable See screen shot. Have been trying all morning and I'm desperate as cannot work without all my passwords. What's up??

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2017
    Options

Hi @ckp, @loggerheadnav, and @cjcalifornia,

I'm sorry to hear you're having (or had) this problem! This is something that started to happen last Saturday (February 18) to the version of 1Password for Mac from our website (the Mac App Store version was unaffected). Our developers have already released an update to address this, and we've published a post on our blog to explain more about what happened. You can find links to both in this announcement which is currently posted at the very top of our Mac forum: Trouble launching or updating 1Password for Mac (website version)

@ckp, you shouldn't need to reboot, you simply need to download the latest version (6.5.5) and replace the version you were using. That should get things back on track for you, but please let us know if you need more help.

@loggerheadnav, thank you for replying to let ckp know about the fix, we appreciate the assist! :) I also wanted to let you know that the error message you saw is a side effect of the actual problem and doesn't accurately describe what happened. If you have a minute, please check out our blog post. We were just as surprised by this as you were, and from what we know so far, we did nothing wrong to have caused it. If you're interested, Dave explains more about that here: https://blog.agilebits.com/2017/02/19/1password-for-mac-6-5-5-manual-update-required/comment-page-2/#comment-7411

@cjcalifornia, it seems you're also running into an issue connecting to our website. Can you please try it again? It may have been a brief/temporary problem, and hopefully it's working for you now so you can download version 6.5.5.

Please let us know if you're still experiencing a problem with 1Password, and if so, we'll continue from there. Thanks! :)

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @yosemite4,

I hope you don't mind, but I've merged your thread with another forum discussion about the same topic, in case you had more questions about it. I'm happy to hear it's working again for you now! We're here for you if you need anything else. Enjoy the rest of your week! :)

• ckp
    ckp
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @Drew_AG , i'll try that in a few hours! I figured it must be something you guys knew about already.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're very welcome, @ckp! Please let us know how it all goes and if you have any questions. :)

• ckp
    ckp
    Community Member
    Options

installed the update. all good! these things happen. thanks!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Awesome! Thanks for letting us know that took care of the problem for you. If you need anything else, you know where to find us! :)

• Sajjon
    Sajjon
    Community Member
    Options

Hello,

I got the same popup ""failed to connect to 1Password mini" today. I am a huge fan of 1Password (1P) and could not live without it.

I have never seen this popup before but saw it today, but never seen it before during the 6+ months I have been using it.

I was wondering if anyone else got this popup recently?

I am wondering because my computer (Macbook Pro Touch bar 1st gen) started to behave strangely at the same time as I saw this popup.

I experienced extremely poor performance, macOS froze and I got scared that I got infected with a macOS virus or something. I am currently running ESET.

Question to 1Password team: If my Macbook is compromised and infected with some kind of malware, is it possible for malware to access the data inside (my vault in) 1P?

I guess it is not possible for malware to access data in 1P if 1P is locked? Or is it?

But what about when I have unlocked 1P with my master key?

Thanks! I am just a bit worried now...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Sajjon: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry to hear that you're having these issues.

Hello, I got the same popup ""failed to connect to 1Password mini" today. I am a huge fan of 1Password (1P) and could not live without it. I have never seen this popup before but saw it today, but never seen it before during the 6+ months I have been using it. I was wondering if anyone else got this popup recently?

We haven't seen much of this lately since the move to Native Messaging. WebSockets, which we were using previously to connect to the browser, often have issues due to interference from 3rd party "security" software. So I wonder if you simply have an outdated browser, extension, or 1Password version. Let me know what you're using.

I am wondering because my computer (Macbook Pro Touch bar 1st gen) started to behave strangely at the same time as I saw this popup. I experienced extremely poor performance, macOS froze and I got scared that I got infected with a macOS virus or something. I am currently running ESET. Question to 1Password team: If my Macbook is compromised and infected with some kind of malware, is it possible for malware to access the data inside (my vault in) 1P?

First and foremost, if you legitimately have reason to believe that your system is compromised, you shouldn't use it at all (the computer, I mean) until you address that. No use taking chances.

I guess it is not possible for malware to access data in 1P if 1P is locked? Or is it?

However, when you are not actually using 1Password, your 1Password data is encrypted on disk, and anyone attacking it would have to successfully guess your Master Password to decrypt it. So, as long as you're using a long, strong, unique Master Password, you're in very good shape there.

But what about when I have unlocked 1P with my master key?

While 1Password only decrypts data as you access it, there are two reasons this is a risk:

1. An attacker can simply collect your data as you view/use it, and
    2. we should assume that if they are able to do that, they may also be able to capture your Master Password as well.

Thanks! I am just a bit worried now...

Hey, better safe than sorry. I hope this helps, but be sure to let me know if you have any other questions!

• Sajjon
    Sajjon
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty Thanks for your long and prompt reply :)

Always a pleasure getting in touch with 1P support, soo nice! :)

Hmm right, so if my system is compromised then attackers would be able to access any data in my while, if it gets unlocked. Makes sense.

I think I will be paranoid and do a clean macOS high sierra install. Install an Anti-virus program to be on the safe side in the future (I have never had anti-virus for mac before.)

Being paranoid - or safe ;) - I should also regenerate a new secret key right? I know that is possible, since I helped my mom with it. But that was before she added any logins to her vault.

Is it safe and straight forward for me to regenerate a new secret key for my existing vault and keeping all my data intact but re-encrypted using the new secret key?

Is there any risk at all that my data in 1P vault would get lost doing this?

Also setting a new master password of course...

Thanks!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Sajjon -- generating a new Secret Key is a simple process, but has to be done via a browser. Sign in to your 1password.com account using a browser, then visit the My Profile link in the drop-down menu under your name in the upper right-hand corner of your browser window. Then click the "Manage" button next to Sign-In Details at the top. You'll see an option to rengenerate your Secret Key.

If you do this, you'll need to re-sign in again on any devices you've used 1Password on in the past, as the Secret Key will no longer work. But that will be a one-time thing; after that, you'll need only your Master Password again. Your data is never affected by generating a new Secret Key (though it could be if you lost the new Secret Key, of course -- but that's no different than what's the case with your current Secret Key). Let us know if you run into any difficulties, and good for you for staying safe. :)

This discussion has been closed.