Using 1password with a vpn such as nordvpn

Options

Hi!

I am using 1password for windows 4.6.1.619(20)
I have a windows 10/64 environment.
my 1password is set up on an opvault. on a plugged in SD card.

How do I go about setting up 1password to work with a vpn;
(if needed more specifically nordvpn)?

What I am hoping is once i login to my vpn;
I can use either the menu from chrome or in the icons in the bottom right,
to open my sites as usual.

Thanks so much for any help with this! :)

Jeff

1Password Version: 4.6.1.619(20)
Extension Version: 4.6.3.90
OS Version: 6.2.9200
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@tokyojef: I use about 4 different VPNs at different times, and it isn't an issue with regard to 1Password. I'm not familiar with that particular one, but so long as they aren't forwarding your local connections (which 1Password uses with the browser) out over the internet (no good reason to do this) you shouldn't have any problems. That said, your mileage may vary with regard to the SD card. I had high hopes for using one as additional storage, but I've really been disappointed (to put it mildly) by the performance. You may want to keep the vault on your local drive since it doesn't take up much space and should be faster. CHeers! :)

• tokyojef
    tokyojef
    Community Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

Hi Brenty!
    I appreciate you taking the time to answer my post.
    That really helps, and means a lot. :)
    Yes you are right as 1password works incredibly well with VPNs.

1. A little confused on the browser mention....
      I should open my logins and favorites from the taskbar as opposed to the browser app?

2. if i move my vault from the SD card drive to my local drive,
      how do i let 1 password know where to look?

Thanks again!
    Jeff :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@tokyojef: Ah, you're welcome, but I'm sorry for causing some confusion there! :blush:

A little confused on the browser mention.... I should open my logins and favorites from the taskbar as opposed to the browser app?

Definitely use the 1Password browser extension when you can — much more convenient! I just meant that some software can block the connection between 1Password and the browser, so that the extension doesn't work. It's just using a local connection on your PC to communicate, so in rare cases VPN software will interfere, though VPN doesn't inherently pose a problem.

if i move my vault from the SD card drive to my local drive, how do i let 1 password know where to look?

Just go to 1Password File > Open 1Password Vault and select it in its new location. Cheers! :)

• tokyojef
    tokyojef
    Community Member
    Options

Brenty,
    All sorted perfectly.
    Thanks you so much for the most excellent help and helping others! :)
    Jeff

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello tokyojef:

On behalf of Brenty you are very welcome! :chuffed: Please contact us anytime, we are always ready to help.

Have a fantastic week!

Cheers,
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.