Logging in to secondary vault

alexheffes
alexheffes
Community Member

I know you have had a lot of posts on this...

I'm adding mine too I'm afraid...

I was set up in v5 so my team could log into a secondary vault without me having to log into the primary vault first. Now this is gone my team can't get into their vault on their own which negates the point for me of diving different people access to different vaults without me having to supervise.

I understand there is a potential security issue which you may have plugged. But it really decreases the usability of your software - sorry!

Are you going to work out a fix?

Thanks.

AH

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:account switching

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @alexheffes,

Thank you for writing in to ask us about this! I'm sorry this change caused some trouble for you. It sounds like you've already read some other forum discussions about it, but just to briefly summarize: 1Password 6 for Mac (originally released back in January 2016) included some necessary changes to the underlying security architecture of vaults. An unfortunate result is that it's no longer possible to unlock only a secondary vault while leaving the others locked.

We know that some customers (such as you and your team) made extensive use of that feature, and I apologize for the inconvenience. I'm afraid it's not a simple matter of re-enabling that functionality, as it just isn't compatible with the under-the-hood improvements that were made. I don't know for sure if/when we'll be able to add a similar feature. If you and your team are all sharing a Mac where you each need to access your own 1Password data, our recommended workaround is to create multiple macOS user accounts on that Mac so each team member can have their own Primary vault.

I'm sorry I don't have a better answer for you about that! But if you have more questions, please don't hesitate to let us know. :)

This discussion has been closed.