Install Firefox extension popups up every few seconds

Options
t_j_b
t_j_b
Community Member

Hi,
I need to run an old version of Firefox (25.0.1) on Mac which doesn't support the 1Password extension. When I use Firefox, which 4 keystrokes or so, I'm seeing a popup "Please install 1Password Firefox extension" which annoyingly steals the focus - whatever I choose, it doesn't change the behaviour. I've installed the latest 1Password version, restarted the Mac a few times, but nothing seems to help there.
FYI, the Chrome integration works ok.

Please advise, as unfortunately I need to run an old FF version.

Thomas

1Password Version: 6.6.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.12.1
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @t_j_b,

I'm sorry you're having some trouble with the popup you keep seeing in Firefox!

Can you elaborate on when that popup appears? You said it happens in "4 keystrokes or so", but I'm not sure if that means the popup only appears when you start typing, or if it just happens shortly after you launch Firefox. And does that only happen when you first launch Firefox, or do you mean it happens every time you type a few characters?

The next time you see that popup, could you please take a screenshot of it? You can drag the screenshot into your message when you reply, or click the document button in the top of the comment field and select the screenshot.

Thanks in advance! :)

• t_j_b
    t_j_b
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Drew_AG ,

Had a further look - the popup appears about 5secs after Firefox has been focussed - it does seem to be independent of typing. It also comes up straight after starting FF.

Screenshot:

Very disappointed by this - have been enjoying using 1Password for a couple of years, but the recent versions always had minor problems.
    I'm also seeing the "Authorize Browser" in Chrome after every restart of the Mac, but less of a problem as I typically do not restart of quite a while.

Thomas

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@t_j_b: Thank you! It appears that you have either an old copy of the app, an old extension, or perhaps both. We haven't used that prompt in years. Please remove any copies of the 1Password extension from your browsers, update your browsers, do a Spotlight search for 1Password and drag all copies to the Trash (do NOT use a "cleaner" app!), restart your Mac, and install a fresh copy of each:

1Password downloads

1Password browser extensions

If you're still having trouble, be sure to let me know which OS, 1Password, extension, and browser versions you're seeing, since there have been updates recently. I look forward to hearing back from you!

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2017
    Options

Howdy @t_j_b,

We've done more investigation into why the Get the 1Password Firefox Extension popup might be repeatedly reappearing on your Mac. Here's something we'd like you to check:

• Quit Firefox.
    • Open the Terminal app, which is in the Utilities folder of the Applications folder. Using Spotlight to open it should work.
    • Copy and paste this one line command into Terminal and press Return:

defaults read 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword4-helper install-jse-already-shown-org.mozilla.firefox

• When completed (it only takes a moment), copy any output you see from that command into a new reply back here.

The result will help us determine what to suggest trying next to stop the popup. Thanks!

• t_j_b
    t_j_b
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @sjk,

Thanks for the reply. FYI, I have no FF extension installed and also had done a reinstall with restart of my Macbook before posting my first comment.

The result of the command is:
    $ defaults read 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword4-helper install-jse-already-shown-org.mozilla.firefox
    2017-04-01 10:15:13.572 defaults[52137:1485446]
    The domain/default pair of (2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword4-helper, install-jse-already-shown-org.mozilla.firefox) does not exist

Thanks

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @t_j_b,

Thanks for posting that result. The missing domain/default pair explains why the popup keeps returning. Before suggesting specifically what to do to fix this we'd like to check a few more details in your current 1Password configuration.

At your convenience, please use the 1Password Troubleshooting tool to generate a diagnostics report:

How to send a 1Password diagnostics report (Mac)

Then attach the report file with an email to: support+forum@agilebits.com

Please do not post your diagnostics report in the forum, and do include a link to this discussion and your forum username in the email.

You'll receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a support ticket ID. If you post that ticket ID here we can track down your email with the report more quickly and help you get this issue resolved.

Thanks in advance!

• t_j_b
    t_j_b
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

Ticket ID is #YLH-91565-687

Thomas

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks @t_j_b! We received your Diagnostics Report, and someone will get back to you as soon as possible with more information. We'll keep the conversation going directly via email to avoid complicating things between here and there. Cheers! :)

ref: YLH-91565-687

This discussion has been closed.