To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Backup

rctneil
rctneil
Community Member

Hey,

Being a backup freak (Not a bad thing) I would love to know of a way I can keep a local backup of my 1Password vaults from my Family Account. It doesn't have to auto update itself but just some form of archive file I can download and backup onto other media.

Now I know you have previously mentioned that you do full backups etc which is great but I like to have my own backups (what harm is there to have more backups?

Kind regards,
Neil

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Jacob
    edited April 2017

Hey @rctneil! I feel like you and I have discussed this somewhere on the forum before... but I can't find it so here we go. :) Backups in 1Password accounts are handled by the server automatically, and at the moment there isn't a way to back it up locally. You can use the local data cache as a sort of backup, it just isn't something you can restore to the server reliably since the server is known as the source of truth in 1Password accounts. So I don't recommend that as a full backup option, but if you want to do it, you can from a Mac:

1. Open Finder and choose Go -> Go to Folder.
    2. Enter ~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/ and click Go. If you got 1Password from the Mac App Store, enter ~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/ and click Go.
    3. Copy the data folder to an external drive or wherever you'd like to have a backup.

You could automate this with something if you wanted to. If you do need to restore it, make sure your computer's internet is disabled so there aren't sync conflicts with the server. Hope this helps you sleep at night :blush:

• mikebore
    mikebore
    Community Member
    edited April 2017

Doesn't File-> Export -> All items produce a local backup PIF file (except for the Documents)?

The PIF could be reimported in case of disaster.

I know this is not encrypted (I put mine into an encrypted disk image)

• Jacob
    edited April 2017

@mikebore It does indeed, but exporting the data means it's unencrypted, as you mentioned. If you want it to be encrypted, the best way would be to automate backing up the local cache. Exporting can work for some folks as well :)

This discussion has been closed.