Bought license last year, now it's in read only mode

amcmws
amcmws
Community Member
edited April 2017 in Mac

Why when I paid for what I was told a one time fee back when I purchased my Macbook Pro over a year ago am I getting a prompt saying "pay, your extension is now in read only" and not allowing me to login to anything. Seems kind of suspicious and wrong to advertise one thing but then try to sneak in these charges the next minute. I paid for a single user on my iCloud account, which believe cost me around 70 (don't remember the exact price because as I said I was told I was it was a one time fee).

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 6.6.4
OS Version: Sierra 10.12.4
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @amcmws,

I'm sorry 1Password isn't recognizing that you already paid for it! Don't worry, if you purchased a standalone license for 1Password for Mac last year, you certainly don't need to purchase the same thing again. I'm sure we can help to solve this problem! :)

If you're seeing a message about it being in "read only" mode, it sounds like you're using a copy of 1Password that you downloaded from the Mac App Store, as that message only appears in the Mac App Store version. That version will be in read only mode unless you previously purchased it from the Mac App Store, make a new in-app purchase for it, or sign into a 1Password.com account.

Is it possible you bought your 1Password license from our AgileBits Store? If so, you must have recently switched from the AgileBits Store version to the Mac App Store version. A license from our web store won't work with the Mac App Store version of 1Password, so if that's what happened, you'll need to remove the Mac App Store version (drag 1Password.app from Applications to the Trash, but don't use any app cleaning tools) and reinstall the AgileBits Store version (available from our download site).

On the other hand, if you previously bought 1Password through the Mac App Store, you may have recently re-downloaded it through a different Apple ID than the one you originally used to buy it. If so, you'll need to go to Applications and drag the 1Password.app file to the Trash (don't use any app cleaning tools), sign out of the Mac App Store and then sign back in with the Apple ID you used to pay for 1Password, and then install it from the Purchased section.

Let us know how it all goes, or if you don't remember where you purchased your license. Thanks! :)

This discussion has been closed.