Why does mini app icon reappear in menu bar after software updates?

Professor_Mac
Professor_Mac
Community Member

Hello. I have a cluttered menu bar and need to remove any items that I don't use on a daily basis. As such I have unticked "Show mini app icon in the menu bar". However I need to go and untick it again each time I update 1Password. Is there a way you could write your updates so as to honour the user's existing preferences? Cheers!

1Password Version: 6.7
Extension Version: 4.6.4
OS Version: 10.11.6
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:Why does mini app icon reappear in menu bar after software updates?

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Professor_Mac,

I'm sorry that setting isn't being remembered! That's a strange problem, and I haven't heard of that happening before. I tried to reproduce the same thing on my Mac by un-checking the option to show the mini icon in the menu bar and then installing the latest update. But after the update, that option was still un-checked, so it's working correctly for me.

Are you using the AgileBits Store version or the Mac App Store version of 1Password? (If you're not sure, open the main app and go to 1Password > About 1Password from the menu bar.) Also, just to be sure, in 1Password > Preferences > General, is the option for "Always keep 1Password mini running" still enabled? Does this problem happen any other time, or only after installing an update?

• Professor_Mac
    Professor_Mac
    Community Member

I'm using this version:

1Password 6
    Version 6.7.1 (671001)
    AgileBits Store

Yes, the option for "Always keep 1Password mini running" is still enabled.

I'll keep an eye on things and try to narrow down exactly what causes the mini app icon to reappear. I just ran another software update and it didn't reappear that time. It may be just some software updates cause this behaviour. It may also be coincidental. Every few months it reappears and I have to once again disable it in preferences.

• @Professor_Mac,

I believe if you make use of the browser extension and 1Password mini isn't running it will cause it to launch it, and as part of that process it sets that value back to True.

Rudy

• Professor_Mac
    Professor_Mac
    Community Member

Ah that would make sense. Is it possible for this process to keep the value as False for the mini app icon, if the user has set this in Preferences?

• @Professor_Mac,

Currently it isn't, but its certainly something we could consider going forward.

Rudy

This discussion has been closed.