have always been, or it appears that way - that Dropbox is
still a major player. Correct me if I'm wrong. It took a while to
figure out that all data didn't just appear on the website upon
the big upgrade to 6.7.1.

So the question becomes, and in order to maximize network
security
and do the right thing, am I to "move" everything
to a vault(s) created on the my.1 web page, or keep using
dropbox vaults in tandem with vaults on the web page?

Thanks much,
Jack

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Mongoose: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! I'm not entirely certain what you're asking, but if it helps, only data stored in vaults which are part of a 1Password.com vault will appear there and on other devices you sign into with the 1Password.com account. Local vaults, whether sync'd with Dropbox, something else, or not at all, are entirely separate. Other than that, there are two main differences between a local vault sync'd through Dropbox and a 1Password.com setup:

1. With 1Password.com, there is no sync configuration: you simply sign into the account on each device to access all of the vaults you have access to. With Dropbox, individual vaults must be configured for syncing/sharing per-device, and you'll also need to sign into Dropbox separately in order to get to the data in the first place.
    2. With 1Password.com, you have the additional protection of the Secret Key, which is a random 128-bit used to protect against Master Password brute force attempts. With a local vault, only the Master Password is needed. That's not to say it's insecure. But we needed to take it a step further for storing people's data on our servers, so that even if the server is breached, it is impossible for someone to gain access to your data.

However, you can absolutely use both 1Password.com and local vaults if you want. It means having more to keep track of though, so it isn't something we generally recommend. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.